11-09-2004, 12:12 AM
I bought the tank for $120 with:

-live rock and sand,
-a maroon,
-a skunk shrimp,
-few small frags (no idea what they are),
-a white starfish (no idea what kind, its very small),
-added a few snails (4),
-little stuff growing here and there again no idea what they are.

It looks sort of barren at the moment and I would absolutely love to fill it with corals. *wink wink* :D

I planning on getting a protein skimmer along with water testing kits for tank. Any ideas on which brands work the best? Ive seen quite a few on the market.

Umm, thats all i think. Any feed back would be appreciated. I'll post more pictures later. Thanks for looking!

Nigritude
11-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Itsy-bisty peices of frags

JeromeBaker
11-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Off to a nice start. Liking the aquascape.

T. VO
11-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Nigritude
Itsy-bisty peices of frags

yellow polyps and green star polyps

MrKrispy
11-09-2004, 12:37 AM
get the Salifert calcium and alkalinity test kits locally, they and Seachem seem to be the best. Seachem makes a great Reef Basic kit that include alkalinity, pH, nitrate/nitrite, and ammonia, I think it runs about $25. If you keep the corals low for a few months you can hold off on the calc/alk kits.

Good luck!

have you seen www.nano-reef.com? Lotsa info

Nigritude
11-09-2004, 12:47 AM
MrKrispy: Thank you so much! Yes, I've visited nano-reef. Infact I registered there, thinking SD reef was a part of it. Heh.

SoKaL ReeFiN: Thanks for the ID. I was hoping for some exotic names lol.

JeromeBaker: I personally think, that there are way too many rocks, but I am glad that you like it. =)

JeromeBaker
11-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Would you be willing to trade those yellow zoos(very left frag in pic)? I have a # of different colorful zoos that I could offer in trade.

Nigritude
11-09-2004, 12:58 AM
pm'ing

MarLooney
11-09-2004, 01:44 AM
sounds like you're a total noob. so i'll start off with saying for someone who doesn't know much... your aquascaping kicks @$$. you did a great job arranging those rocks Nigritude. did you keep other tanks before jumping into reefing? you had to learn from somewhere. that wouldn't be fair if you could set up liverock like that with no previous experience :D.
if you're looking to filll w/ healthy aquacultured frags... i can probably help ;). what are you looking for? i'd reccomend some shrooms.
as for a skimmer, i'd go with something like a prizm or bak-pak (minus the rio).
be cautious of what you hear on Nano-Reef. a lot of people who don't really know what they're talking about offer advice.
exotic names...? Yellow Polyps are actually Parazoanthus gracilis. good enough for you? although you had a request for a frag i'd like to inform you that it is common for unhealthy yellow polyps to be smaller, brighter, and not extend their frills out as far as healthy polyps. i know it looks cool, but i think they could use some recovering. try target feeding small meaty foods, atleast till they're looking healthy again.
good luck with your tank. it's starting off good.

colindoug3
11-09-2004, 09:55 AM
great start. and i think those are actually brown star polyps.

TXreef
11-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nigritude
I personally think, that there are way too many rocks,

No such thing. Great job, really looks good. Keep your water right and light it you will be suprized how fast those things will grow.

Nigritude
11-09-2004, 11:16 AM
yellow, brown, green! whee!

MarLooney: Nope, no previous experience with tanks, salt or fresh. I am what they call, a protégé ;) Just kidding. Beginners luck I suppse, but thank you. I talked to the owner of OG about the yellow polyps and he had the same suggestion that you have - frozen brine shrimps. I thought they were "plants" but apparently not. I might also take you up on your offer of shrooms :D. Could you PM me with what you can spare?

Nigritude
11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Oh, yeah how does one feed polyps? :confused:

TommyD
11-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Read this article.

I can't find the oe with pictures; but his guy explains how to use a 2 liter bottle to contain floating matter (Brine or other meaty substances) within reach of the polyps....

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22937&highlight=feed+sun+coral

Search the boards. Someone called it a 'lunar lander' but I can't find it....

-Tom D.

Nigritude
11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks Tom. I might try that :)
Taking pot shots at the polyps = not fun. The fish ate all the food anyway.

MarLooney
11-09-2004, 01:48 PM
i've got a small colony of purple mushrooms. PM me if you're interrested.

you need one of these ;).