PDA

View Full Version : Sailing

Yolo
11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
So malacai629 finally came sailing with us this past Sunday. (We had an offshore race, 2 hours or so, out of SD Bay then back) Wow, she stepped up, took a position, ripped off her fingernails and worked her tail off. Bet she was tired Sunday night!

Good Job!

Now the question is will she show up for the next race!

;)

malachai629
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Abso-effin-lutely!!!

And for the record, it's Malachai629 .:D

Yep, I'm still sore, but I can't wait to do it again. In fact, I tried to pm you but it said you didn't accept pms? Does this have to do with you getting sheisted?

DaveMorris
11-20-2007, 08:27 PM
I must have missed my invite in the mail. Hey Mike, I'm in for the next time. At least if you can deal with somebody who knows absolutely nothing about sailing.

swissfish
11-20-2007, 09:51 PM
So malacai69 finally came sailing with us this past Sunday.

;)

LOL that was funny

malachai629
11-20-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm fairly certain it wasn't intentional, but yes, amusing none the less. It even sounds the same phonetically, doesn't it? It's my birfday - 6/29.

Yolo
11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I keep forgetting and using the "old" name...went to YOLO alone to eliminate the date of 062004...

Sorry about that mixup...trying to throw you props, say great job, and thanks for coming out. When your hand stops bleeding hope to see you next Sun.

http://sdyc.org/raceinfo/results07/hotrum_r2_res.htm

Middle of the pack overall, 63rd out of 131 actually on the water...not too bad..

m

Yolo
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
It has been a nice ride on the ocean these past two...can't say when we will have to pull out the foul weather gear but its coming. Next race is Sunday Dec 2nd.

LMK if you want to come along for the ride.

Depending on who shows, you might get a workout! Stacy sure did...LOL...trooper all the way. Man, it was gusting at times, saw a few boats get a good knockdown. But it did die off towards the end. Still the sun was shining, beer was cold. Can't complain about San Diego.

vinny73
11-21-2007, 06:09 PM
I am with dave! I don't know squat about sailing. I know that the several months I have spent on the ocean, I know no better love except being on my woman. I too would love to be a part! I would definately bust my ass for a cause. Ex sailor. Current and lifelong oceanlover. Is there ever a time I could bring my wife for just a cruise on the water. Not necessarily a 200 person day cruise but a little more personal. Like 20 people. I can pay for fuel! This is an experience everyone should have! Sounds like orgasmic fun!!!!!

malachai629
11-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't know squat about sailing... I can pay for fuel!

LOL, Vinny, that's cute. Fuel = wind!! except for the tiny bit you might use before you raise the sails.

Mike, no worries at all, I thought it was funny! I appreciate the encouragement more than you know, and I really do see it as a rare and special priveledge to be asked along with you all. I told you I wasn't afraid to work!! I'm used to chartering a catamaran and heading out into the bay just hoping for the best, & that I'll somehow figure out what to do, never being further from shore than I can swim if I capsize . . so to get such valuable instruction, and not even have to pay the $35 an hour for the boat rental, is just unbelievably fortunate!!! I can't thank you enough for involving me in this.

h20poloman
11-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm totally down. Only been out once on a 36' and it was amazing. Cruised down to the Catalina Islands (aka bird shatner island/tip of mexico) and back. I actually prefer the bigger boats...less work, more beer and cigars and bbq. What size are you licensed to charter?

simplepleasures
11-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Yolo,

Who do you roll with? I knew there would be someone on here that raced. I have been racing since age 7 along with jgregory. I have not been out for about three years due to work. (have to work on the weekends)

Casey

CNCreefer
11-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I have raced Hobie cats. I even have a trophy from it. my best race was when we were beating close to the wind, block to block, makin good time, and when we did a port tack to come around the mark, the jib got hung up on the forestay wire. We went from first to last trying to free up the jib. Finally got it free, sheet it in block to block again, and we managed to pass all the boats and get first place again :D

never being further from shore than I can swim if I capsize
I did that too, out in the ocean off the power plant up in Carlsbad. Trying too get more speed out of the boat, and buried a hull in a swell. Got it righted though.
God I sure do miss those days :)

MichaelRyanSD
11-21-2007, 10:16 PM
sailing sucks.....

malachai629
11-22-2007, 10:22 AM
... the jib got hung up on the forestay wire. We went from first to last trying to free up the jib. Finally got it free, sheet it in block to block again, and we managed to pass all the boats and get first place again :D

That's pretty amazing!

Yolo
11-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Stick around..you have not seen anything...LOL wait till you get off the Coronados, open ocean, 25knotts of wind, and you see spinnikers blowing out right and left, and then yours shreds!...

malachai629
11-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Not sure that sounds like the best of times, but whatever, I'm down!!!! And I do love the Coronados fo sho. Only been out there once. I'd always seen them from OB and wondered what they were.

loose-electron
11-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Mike:
THis must have been on Maleficent? Stacey (malachai) has been out w/me once (IIRC, or was it one of my dock parties?) this past summer. I have been off the water for a few weeks, life has been a wee bit too busy lately.
Say hi to Chris B for me!!!
Jerry

simplepleasures
11-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Loose,

What boat did you use to sail on?

Casey

malachai629
11-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Chips N Salsa!!

Jerry, I both went out with you on yours and also I think we had a few drinks at Captain Eye Candy's dock party . . .

MichaelRyanSD
11-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I said sailing sucks DAMMIT!!!!

loose-electron
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Loose,

What boat did you use to sail on?

Casey

My boat is Chips 'N Salsa, a 38 foot Beneteau. Yolo (Mike) races on a 42 foot Beneteau. He is on the faster boat when the wind is over 7knots, I am faster in lighter wind. Purely the design of the boat.

loose-electron
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Chips N Salsa!!

Jerry, I both went out with you on yours and also I think we had a few drinks at Captain Eye Candy's dock party . . .

probably too drunk to remember, right? How are the lights doing over the tank these days? When I hung those for you I was dating a lady right down the street in OB. Nowadays I am up in Rancho Penasquitos a lot. Been off the water and spent the last month or so getting a performance car ready to run again. My addicitons in the past have been performance cars and sailing. Getting my hands dirty for a couple of weeks under the hood of a car was fun, but time to get back to sailing.

malachai629
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Weren't we all though!! Yes, I remember, Vicki, right? Didn't you get CnS from Chris? Both are wonderful boats. It's really been growing on me - I plan to be out with those guys as much as possible. I love the work, the learning, even the yelling although according to Mike I've missed the best of it!

loose-electron
11-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Weren't we all though!! Yes, I remember, Vicki, right? Didn't you get CnS from Chris? Both are wonderful boats. It's really been growing on me - I plan to be out with those guys as much as possible. I love the work, the learning, even the yelling although according to Mike I've missed the best of it!

Yeah, I bought CnS from Chris B, who then bought Maleficent. As for Vicki, well, sigh, she turned out to be something that she didn't appear to be. That one is, thankfully, history.

simplepleasures
11-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Nice boats you guys sail on. I used to race on a a Henderson in Dana Point, the one design 48 Tribe, and a couple others. What kind of car are you working on? I am in the process of redoing a 55 Chevy.

MichaelRyanSD
11-26-2007, 07:24 PM
jeez stacy, how come I don't get any thanks, while you were getting "valuable" instruction, I was essentially keeping the boat going by trimming the jib the entire race...glad you guys got relax on the high side while I got wet :)

CNCreefer
11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Well at least you didn't have to unjam the jib sheet while the boat is sitting there in irons in choppy waters :)

malachai629
11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
jeez stacy, how come I don't get any thanks, while you were getting "valuable" instruction, I was essentially keeping the boat going by trimming the jib the entire race...glad you guys got relax on the high side while I got wet :)

Oh, allright. Thanks!! Ha Ha, just kidding. I take it back. :D Are you coming this Sunday?

loose-electron
11-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Nice boats you guys sail on. I used to race on a a Henderson in Dana Point, the one design 48 Tribe, and a couple others. What kind of car are you working on? I am in the process of redoing a 55 Chevy.

Mazda RX7 with a Wankel Rotary engine - 2 plugs per combustion chamber and 4 independent ignition systems. I used to do british 2 seaters (MG Triumphs, Sunbeams) but this one fell into my lap.

Yolo
12-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Great day on the water, excellent conditions for our boat...placed 6th overall out of 125+ boats which is rare...somewhere in these photos is a chick wearing a funny hat (malachi629) and a guy dressed like an eskimo (MichaelRyan)...;) Rain coming this weekend...Sat should be real fun...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/yolo_062004/Finish_Sun2.jpg

At the finish in front of a 60' vessel....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/yolo_062004/finish_Sun1.jpg

malachai629
12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
FunFunFun. See you soon.

MichaelRyanSD
12-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey theres my foot!!!

MichaelRyanSD
12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
and a guy dressed like an eskimo (MichaelRyan)...;)

Wow really mike...as opposed to the alternative...which was...um FREEZE!!!

MichaelRyanSD
12-05-2007, 10:08 PM
That damn woody guy never gets a good picture of me...its all I want dammit

malachai629
12-06-2007, 08:31 AM
I suppose we could bring our own cameras next time . . . I'd have to find mine, and it sucks anyway. . . Thanks, Yolo, for posting those!

Hey, is Stark Raving Mad Dennis Conner's boat? No, right?

Yolo
12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.da-woody.com and look at Hot Buttered Rum Series, race 3 and look at the pic on page 10..you will see the michelin man on starboard in one of the pics.

MichaelRyanSD
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah I saw those pics...but non of them you could ACUTALLY tell its me, I mean it could be anyone really....I need pictures where you can see my face and see me in action..I mean how else am I going to get girls so wet that they would slide right off their chair

MichaelRyanSD
12-06-2007, 09:22 AM
PS.mike if you want to buy me some "Light" foul weather gear I'd be more then happy to wear it

Ps...I noticed you got jokes these past couple days, I got jokes too!, like how I picked you up in front of Pure Platinum strip club at 10 in the morning :)

loose-electron
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I suppose we could bring our own cameras next time . . . I'd have to find mine, and it sucks anyway. . . Thanks, Yolo, for posting those!

Hey, is Stark Raving Mad Dennis Conner's boat? No, right?

All of DC's boats are "Stars and Stripes" - and oddly enough the best pix of your boat always end up getting taken off somebody elses boat (unless you can fly of course) -- I never had any good pictures until I started sailing with other groups - here -

http://www.meetup.com/members/3705418/photos/

The two photos under way were taken from a friends boat as we did a little race back from Mission Bay to SD

loose-electron
12-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Great day on the water, excellent conditions for our boat...placed 6th overall out of 125+ boats which is rare...

WOW Mike!!! - great results!!!!:) :)

malachai629
12-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Ps...I noticed you got jokes these past couple days, I got jokes too!, like how I picked you up in front of Pure Platinum strip club at 10 in the morning :)

Ha Ha Ha, I had to quote that just in case anybody missed it the first time around!!

I'm not hating, BTW, I'm somewhat of a strip club junkie myself. : )

I'm wondering though - if the local strip clubs close at 2 am (I used to bartend at Plat), where was he between the hours of 2 and 10 am??

acbaldwin
12-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm wondering though - if the local strip clubs close at 2 am (I used to bartend at Plat), where was he between the hours of 2 and 10 am??

... last time I went to deja vu I stayed till close time, 4AM.

Looks like you guys had a blast sailing! THose are AWESOME results, Mike! Especially considering how many noobs you were hauling! :p

malachai629
12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
... last time I went to deja vu I stayed till close time, 4AM.

Hope you BroughtYOB!

acbaldwin
12-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Hope you BroughtYOB!

Summer of 06... No drinkie for me. :(

malachai629
12-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Boo. Arrghy. Hissss. Get off the stage!! B O R I N G . . .

h20poloman
12-06-2007, 03:50 PM
http://www.da-woody.com and look at Hot Buttered Rum Series, race 3 and look at the pic on page 10..you will see the michelin man on starboard in one of the pics.

Is that MR with the ski bib on? Or at least that is what it appears to be...did you think you were going to fall in? I'm just jealous...looks like it was a beautiful day.

Mike..do you have your license to charter at fairly big boat?

Yolo
12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
that takes time on the water at the wheel, and school, etc. I have a lot of time on the water and access to various power boats, but mostly on this gig I just am crew on a friend's boat.

Yeah, that's MikeyR with all the foulies on, not fun to get wet....he will need all of that and more next month and Feb when we do some of the more serious offshore races...some of which end at 3 AM with no wind...etc.

By the looks of the sky today, looks like the nice Winter in SD has passed us by...Sat ought to be interesting, we have two races in SD bay and a new Temp Capt.

That reminds me, I had better bring extra beer.

malachai629
12-06-2007, 04:51 PM
...some of which end at 3 AM with no wind...etc.

Ummmm . . . I'm in? (Does anyone have an apprehensive smiley face I can borrow?)