PDA

View Full Version : new little prodject.....

REEFWAVE
11-08-2004, 10:48 PM
so far i have grinded and refinished the steel stand, and rinsed out the tank. next im looking to drill to drain holes near the top, then ill go around remove a few light scratches that are on the outside. the tanks dimensions are 48x24x60, on the stand and with the copper plated canopy the tank stands about 9 and half feet tall. there is also a copper plated wood cover that fits around the stand and makes for a pretty good looking set-up. aquascaping will be a joy no doubt, as of now im thinking a few towers of rock supported by a pvc pipe through the middle. any and all suggestions or ideas you can up are welcome and appreciated, im still in the planning stages ideas will help. here is a quick pick i snapped jus to give you an idea of what im working worth, ill try and get a few more along the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300g.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300g2.jpg

ricestudios
11-08-2004, 10:53 PM
very nice! cant wait to see it filled and everything plumbed. whats the setup details? :D

MrKrispy
11-08-2004, 11:01 PM
is this for a reef? WOw!

How are you gonna put the rock in without dropping it? How do you place corals on the rock with something that deep?

T. VO
11-08-2004, 11:02 PM
And most importantly.. how are you going to clean the inside?

REEFWAVE
11-08-2004, 11:10 PM
im thinking it will be a FO for now. probably gonna construct the rockwork with whatever supports i end up useing outside of the tank kinda like a dry run then ill prob just get in the tank and have someone hand me the rocks one by one untill the bottom is done then build up from there. thats the nice thing while its dry i can get right in the tank to do cleaning and what not. as for the set-up details im thinking of duel 1 1/2 overflows into a large 50-60 gallon sump that i have. from there i have a bio-ball drip system as well as a fludized bed for bacterial filtration, as for a skimmer i have not decided yet what im going to do, ill probably either end up doing a DIY one or possibly look into somthing like ASM skimmer. for the return ill probably use a sequence, i have 2 mak 4's as of now, but i think i would like a little more flow and little quiter of a pump. most things are still up in the air, im just trying to get a basic idea of how i want to do this, and throwing around a few ideas.

MrKrispy
11-08-2004, 11:14 PM
yah you're gonna need decent air exchange in your sump to make up for the lack of surface area in the main tank. Really friggin cool, looks like a FO torpedo, lol

colindoug3
11-08-2004, 11:25 PM
i was expecting a little 10 or somehting. JC this thing is *****in huge. a shot with you in the tank while it is dry is a must! or maybe while filling it with rock. about how many gallons is this? what a project!

MarLooney
11-09-2004, 01:48 AM
that's soooo cool. might even be ice cold :D. think of attaching any rocks to the back? it'll be hard to hide PVC w/ a tank that narrow. good luck though.

REEFWAVE
11-09-2004, 05:39 AM
yeah im sure how im gonna do the rock work yet. its gonna be a challenge no doubt, but with a little creativity im hoping it will turn out pretty cool.

colindoug3
11-09-2004, 09:43 AM
if you need help with getting stuff in the tank let me know. im sure others on the board would help too. ill help out for a couple hours on a weekend. let me know.

JeromeBaker
11-09-2004, 10:36 AM
I saw something pretty nutty on RC where they sprayed in foam on the back pane of glass, looked just like live rock, was cheap, and was easy to do. I think you can buy the stuff at marinedepot if I remember correctly. Some people discouraged the use of it but it seemed like everyone who used it was pretty pleased with the results and I was impressed with the pics. If the search feature on RC worked I would get you the link but it keeps trying to sell me a premier membership. I'll work on getting you the link.

REEFWAVE
11-09-2004, 01:22 PM
i have been sitting out in the garage playing with ideas and what not and i think the scariest thing about this is that this is actually one of a matching pair of 300g tanks. you can kinda see it in the back of the pics. i dont have a clue what im going to do with that one.

JeromeBaker
11-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Can I ask how you came up on two 300 gallon tanks? If I were you id set em up at my house:)

brahm
11-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Gaint XENIA tank!!

MarLooney
11-09-2004, 03:33 PM
yeah do something crazy like that. :D

i'd go w/ shrooms cause they don't need much light. that'd be one hell of a species only tank. then eventually you could convert it to a full blown reef if you see fit.

[G]h0s']['
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Wow, REEFWAVE, looking good. Hey, did u build that stand yourself?

JeromeBaker
11-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Finally got the RC search to work. Here's a link to the "Foam Rock" stuff I mentioned earlier. There are some drawbacks that are discussed in the thread but may be a good route for you to go given the circumstances. Hope it helps.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=447292&perpage=25&highlight=foam%20rock&pagenumber=2

triggerSD
11-10-2004, 08:43 PM
that foam actually sounds like a good idea. i hate rock slides

REEFWAVE
11-11-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by JeromeBaker
Can I ask how you came up on two 300 gallon tanks? If I were you id set em up at my house:)

it kinda worked sweet, a customer of ours just bought a house in la jolla and these tanks had been built into the walls there, basically when i showed interest in them he said if you want them there yours. ill i had to do was haul them out of there, which believe me you was no easy task.
as for corals in the tank, not sure yet. you would need some serious lighting, but some shrooms may be kinda cool to just let loose in there. im thinking i would like to keep some of my favorite predetory fish that i cant keep in my reef so will see.
the foam idea was kinda cool too and there were a few of those tanks that looked pretty good, especially the ones with amble real rock and then the foam was used just to blend it in with the back wall. im not sure how it would look covering the size back im dealing with, but deffinatly somthing to look into.
im started on the base coverings today, ill try to get pic of them in place tomarow, they look pretty sweet. the only prob i have with them and the top is that they were built into the wall so now there are gaps where the wall was. i have extras i can use to make a section to fill in the gaps so it shouldnt be to hard, but will see.

[G]h0s']['
11-11-2004, 03:18 AM
so, did ya build that stand yourself? if not do you know who can make steel stand frames and then i can place wood panels as needed.

REEFWAVE
11-11-2004, 04:30 AM
sorry, i meant to answer that with the last post. no i did not make the stand. i dont know off the top of my head where you could get one made, but i do have the number of the guy who set-up these tanks in the house they were originally made for. ill try and remeber to give him a call, he may remember where they were made.

fier138
11-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah where the hell did you get 2 300 gal tanks?

REEFWAVE
11-14-2004, 09:58 PM
fier138
take a look about 3 posts up...lol

im almost done with the cleaning of the tank. all the scratches on the out side have been removed or reduced considerably. there are a few on the inside which should be gone by the this week.
i have decided to use lace rock and some LR, and either a very thin layer of sand or a bare bottom (not sure what i should do), as once there is water and rock i wont be able to get down there at all. ill probably get a ASM skimmer, and use somthing like a fludized bed or one of the nuclear wet-dry's with bio-balls for additional biological filtration. most likely will go with a sequence pump, one return will utilize one of the inch holes in the bottom providing flow at the bottom and another retrun will go over the top. im looking to put to inch and a half holes in the top back, but still have not decided how im gonna get those holes drilled in the inch and a quarter thich wall (not sure i can do it myself)..
im off most of the week so i should be able to make some progress and get some updated pics.

REEFWAVE
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
alright, i finished up getting the canopy put together and cleaned up as well as half of the bottom covering. im hopeing to get the base rock i need for the rock structure some time in the next week or so. i found hirocks website which has 60lbs boxes for $80. if i cant find anything better ill probably just get it there. then comes the pump and skimmer. im thinking ill give sequence a try as well an ASM skimmer, im still looking around for the best price on the pump. i think customaquatics is looking pretty good so far.
well here a few pics of the canopy and stand cover in place. there made of wood and plated with a treated copper covering. a little on the heavy side, but very attractive. the pictures do not do them justice at all.

close up of the top.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gwithcopper2.jpg

close up of bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gwithcopper3.jpg

the whole effect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gwithcopper.jpg

colindoug3
11-18-2004, 12:37 AM
thanks for the updates! i like the copper effect. i havent seen that before. looks very nice. cant wait for more.

elgordoinavw
11-18-2004, 08:08 AM
I think that tank would make one sick Frontosa tank-

lucubrator
01-13-2005, 09:29 PM
speaking of projects reefermadness, what's going on with this?

colindoug3
01-14-2005, 01:00 AM
this is REEFWAVEs thread.

lucubrator
01-14-2005, 08:08 AM
I knew that when I searched for it, but I forgot while I was writing. My apologies to REEFWAVE.

This (http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4125) was the thread that reminded me of it.

Trickman2
01-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow thats awesome where did you get the 300 hundrend gallon tank. How much did it cost that is awesome

Also how are you going to clean it. 60 inches deep. Yikes. Is it going to be a reef?

REEFWAVE
01-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Trickman2
Wow thats awesome where did you get the 300 hundrend gallon tank. How much did it cost that is awesome

Also how are you going to clean it. 60 inches deep. Yikes. Is it going to be a reef?

i got it from a la jolla resident who had just bought a house that these were left behind in. he didnt want them and was thrilled when i offered to take them off his hands, the price was having to move two of these tanks and there steel stands into the back of my truck...lol
cleaning wasnt to bad i just climbed in the tank and went to work. then just for fun i filled it up, put on my wet-suit and went for a dip...:D
my origonal plans are to go FOWLR, but everything is being designed so that if i do want to go full reef it can be done fairly easily. i have drilled one of the tanks with two addtional inch and a ½ holes which will serve as overflows. in the sump will be my new ASM G-4X, the return pump is a sequence 4300, im also looking to utilize the two one inch hloes in the bottom for a closed loop to ensure good flow down at the bottom of the tank. i have purchased 120 lbs of base rock and the rest will be LR to seed it. i still need sand and am hopeing somthing good happens with the search for southdown that has been going on here. as of right now im really just waiting untill i get a chance to get a few friends together top help carry this beast down stairs to the living room where it will be. its gonna look pretty cool i think, and its a good thing our living room has high ceilings as this thing stands over 8ft tall with the stand and canopy.. ill try get some updated pics once its in place.

Trickman2
01-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Man I wish I could get a Gaint tank for free lol wanna give me one
Ok maybe sell me the second one:D

Trickman2
01-15-2005, 07:12 AM
So are you gonna use like a Ampmaster or maybe a sequece dart for your flow?

I would think SDA619 could make you a couple of awesome overflows. Also he could probably install them too. I would run the inflow pipe into the overflow. Then you would have no pipes showing

REEFWAVE
01-15-2005, 06:42 PM
im gonna use a sequence 4300 for the main return, im still looking around for a pump to use for a closed loop at the bottom of the tank.
with the way hood sets on the tank the plumbing shouldnt be to noticeable. im more worried about finding a good way to aquascape this tall of a tank so that i dont just have a small little pile of rocks at the bottom.

Trickman2
01-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Maybe do a floating Reef.

REEFWAVE
01-16-2005, 04:39 AM
not exactly sure what that is, could you give me some details and or some pics as an example. im willing to entertain any suggestions for the rock work as it has become one of the issues im really not sure about.

Trickman2
01-16-2005, 08:56 AM
I always wanted to do a floating reef but haven't . The Idea is to make it look like your reef is floating. For a tank like that you would have to use Pvc and Cover it with live rock with zip ties to fasten it to the Pvc. Another thing that would be cool about it is that if would leave alot of rock at the top so you could have some corals. Basically it is really a suspended reef. If done right it could look amazing. You might wanna get yourself a copy of the book of Coral propagation. THis i one of my favorites books.:) I think AW has it for like about 20-30 bucks. Worth every penny. So whats your plans for the Other 300 gallon wanna sell it?

Trickman2
01-16-2005, 09:19 AM
I would go with a Ampmaster or the Reeflo series for you main pump but I don't like noise. These pumps run at 1725 rpms vs like 3000 plus. The Reeflo by sequeuce Baracuda would probably be perfect for you. Also, It has a clear housing so you can see if stuff is getting stuck in it.
ReefFlo HAMERHEAD by Sequence Medium Head Pressure, 1200-5400 GPH
Or
ReefFlo BARRACUDA by Sequence Medium Head Pressure 1200-3800 GPH 1/4HP,

Link (http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/subsubcategorypage.asp?subcatindexid=wp%2Daq%2Dlg&offset=15)

Trickman2
01-16-2005, 03:03 PM
If you want I will scan the page I am talking about on monday so you can see what a floating reef is

colindoug3
01-16-2005, 05:07 PM
si, por favor! id like to see what it looks like, sounds interesting :-)

Trickman2
01-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Sorry Guys I forgot to bring the book to work, When I get home I will see what I can do.

Trickman2
01-17-2005, 05:14 PM
:D This is out of the book of Coral Propagation go buy it:D

REEFWAVE
01-17-2005, 10:40 PM
sounds interesting and this tank has a nice shape for somthing like that, i may have to play with some of the base rock i have and see what i can come up with.
i have used ampmasters in the past and have been nothing but impressed with there lack of noise when compared to some of the other externals i have used. they are not great at head pressure so that is why i went with the sequence this time. i have heard the reeflo is also a good series pump by sequence and is one of the ones at the top of my list. one of the bigger issues right now is cost as im trying not to get to out of hand, which is very easy to do with a prodject like this...lol

colindoug3
01-18-2005, 12:02 AM
are there any photos of this? the diagram... looks like, well a diagram. lets see the real thing!

Trickman2
01-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Unfornately not, I heard that some pet store has one, but its not local and no one has pictures

JeromeBaker
01-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Elevating the reef like that would certainly aid in detritus removal. I cant wait to see this thing come together.

I dont know who's more excited about it though... REEFWAVE or Trickman?

Trickman2
01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Believe me Reefwave is

REEFWAVE
01-18-2005, 02:16 PM
lol, yeah im very excited to get this thing going, but it is alot of work as well. im hopeing to have the tank in place this week so i can really get started on the plumbing and rock work ideas.

peterluber
01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
I saw something sort of like that on reefcentral. the guy had barebottom and just had like a high pvc rack that was well hidden under the rock.

Taz143Taz5
01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
you should set them both up in the same room, kind of like that building at 501 West Broadway, down town. Run them both to a huge filter or something so that is easier to maintain. If you living room is big enough i would put one on each side of the room, or something crazy like that. Then build the stand and canopy to look like a full wall, or an extension. it would be awsome.

colindoug3
01-22-2005, 08:18 PM
does anyone have pics of this alleged downtown tank?

MFR
01-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Kohl Center. I worked there as an intern a few years ago in law school. Very nice...MFR

Taz143Taz5
01-24-2005, 10:54 AM
tanks! there is two, no real coral i don't think though, just fish. I'll see if I can sneek in and take some pictures this week.

Tarasco
01-24-2005, 05:05 PM
My new firm has an office here in the Kohl Center. I like the tanks. They're both about 10 feet tall, 7 feet wide. They look like they go about 4 feet deep. There was a guy in a wet suit cleaning the fake coals in there today. Wish I had my camera.

One tank has two large spadefish, emperor angel, bunch of little yellow tangs, various non-reef safe wrasses, some butterflys, and a couple of large damsels. The other tank has a bunch of hippo tangs, along with a similar set of fish. All the fish look pretty fat, except for the yellow tangs for some reason.

I'll try and bring a camera to work tomorrow. If I remember.

REEFWAVE
01-24-2005, 05:58 PM
sounds cool, cant wait to see some pics...

Taz143Taz5
01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Here are a couple...

Taz143Taz5
01-26-2005, 09:01 AM

Taz143Taz5
01-26-2005, 09:25 AM

REEFWAVE
09-02-2005, 12:29 PM
well the tank is finally getting close to being done. the rock and sand went in yesturday and with one more trip to scripps it will be up and running.

here is the full tank shot without the hood or stand coverings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gfulltankshot.jpg

closer shot of the rock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300grockwork.jpg

the sump is in the closet of the spare room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gsump.jpg

here is the skimmer (ASM G-4X)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gskimmer.jpg

the return outlets on top of the tank

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300greturnjig.jpg

and the closed loop pump.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gclosedloop.jpg

the will also be a 65g refugium located adjacent to the sump that im still working on and there will be some kind of background on the tank, i just have not decided what im going to use yet.
one thing i have been quite impressed with is the sequence pumps. i have 2 of the closed loop outlets pointing up from the bottom and it still is able to make a slight ripple on the surface of the tank.

Reefer Addict
09-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Now that is a monster!!!! I can't wait to see it all set and done...

MAKASHI
09-02-2005, 01:45 PM
you need this :D

REEFWAVE
09-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by MAKASHI

OMG!! that thing is a monster.

Trickman2
09-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Forgot that you had that monster of a tank. I thought you had two of them?

Anyways would love to see some more pics when its up and running.

Are you planning on doing any Corals?

NeonDottyback
09-02-2005, 10:33 PM
The tank looks really impressive... You did an awesome job on getting the scratches off and moving that into the living room.

I was thinking about that floating reef idea. Maybe do a drop-off wall where on one side of the tank the rock work comes down at an angle from the top.

Use pvc to create something that looks like an engine hoist in the tank. You could suspend the rock with short pvc 90degree elbow type shelves coming off. Look like v's or branches on a pine tree. Use strong zip ties and drill the rock. Like an artificial xmas tree upside down.

REEFWAVE
09-02-2005, 11:35 PM
as of now if i do put any corals in it would be somthing like GSP or shrooms, somthing easy with lower light requirments and that cant really get knocked over or anything. as you can imagine it would be a major pain in the ass to have to climb in there an move a coral or frag around because it fell. just doing the rockwork as it is now was quite an undertaking. i had to climb in there and try and find places for my feet as i was being handed rocks and trying to arrange them so that they covered the plumbing and also more importantly so that they were stable.
this coming week the lighting and skimmer should be in operation, and hopefully ill be able to make some progress getting the refugium in place and plumbed in.
ill try and keep the pics coming.

Trickman2
09-04-2005, 03:47 PM
How are you going to Clean the Algae?

peterluber
09-04-2005, 05:09 PM
1) that tank is gonna be so awesome. i think that using some sort of artificial rock along the back to make it like a vertical reef would be really cool. then put rocks sloping down toward the bottom. you could put some corals at the top and gorgonians, shrooms, etc., off the side of the vertical face. then put some tubastrea and dendrophyllia down at the bottom. anyways, what are your fish stocking plans?

2)
Originally posted by lucubrator
I knew that when I searched for it, but I forgot while I was writing. My apologies to REEFWAVE.

This (http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4125) was the thread that reminded me of it.

i am so confused. what does this thread have to do with my tank?

lucubrator
09-04-2005, 06:14 PM
On your thread 1/12/05:

Originally posted by REEFWAVE
sounds like you have a nice prodject in the works. looking forward to pics.

He mentioned a, "prodject," so I wondered what happend with this since he hadn't updated in a few months.

peterluber
09-04-2005, 06:41 PM
oh okay. also, i was thinking for that tank, fish-wise, you should get fish to really display the different levels of the reef, for example, squirrelfish/soldierfish in the bottom in lowlight with caves, some of the many fish swimming out just off the reef in the middle to shallower waters, and then some shallow reef fish.

Trickman2
09-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey This would work really good for your tank
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8076&highlight=ceramic+rock

If you got one that would go all the way up the back wall of that monster.

REEFWAVE
09-06-2005, 10:22 PM
that rock wall would look awsome in a tank like this, but i think i have spent enough money on it for now :rolleyes:
i did get the skimmer up and running and the 60g refugium is coming along nicely. one mistake i made was i drilled my overflow holes to high, so its not able to immediatly keep up with all the water coming in and there is not enough room above to let it get going. if i take the 90's off the durso's then it works fine, but it makes a loud gurgle. i think what i will do is Tee off the main return instead of the drain line for the refgium, this should lower the amount of water going back to the main tank allowing the drains to operate a little more safely.
as for fish im thinking about going a little more aggressive than my other tank. possibly an eel, harliquin tusk, purple or yellow tang, maybe a niger or Picasso trigger, pixy or longnosed hawkfish, gold stripe maroon or percula clown.
i also got the lighting in place so ill get a pic of the tank with the lights and all tomorrow.

Vayder1
09-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by MAKASHI
Hey this si my light, and I'll cut you a sweet deal
if your interested.
:)

REEFWAVE
09-23-2005, 01:24 AM
finally after a few months of work the tank from hell is near being finished. the refugium is up and running and the skimmer is just starting to build up some gunk. here are the new pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/300gwithlights.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/starsandstripespuffer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/puffer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/staticfishmonger/snowflakeeel.jpg