PDA

View Full Version : So I'm getting SCUBA certified :)

Dakota
10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
..... places around here are $300 for the first class and $325 for the advance. How does this compare to SD prices?? I'm taking an underwater photo class at my school next July, but I want to get good at diving before I try to learn how to photograph underwater. . . Too bad I don't know any instructors :o

dukenukem
10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Scuba is the best thing on earth! I had so much fun learning, except for the awful shore dives. That price seems steep, but if it's the going rate, that's what you have to pay. Which program are you going with? I would reccomend PADI as it's the oldest. Good luck, and enjoy the cold water :)

coral diver
10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Dose this this include literitures (books) and gear if it dose thats reasonable how many pool, shore and boat dive in the program

DaChrisDude
10-17-2007, 11:54 AM
"Are you for scuba?" -Along Came Polly (I think...)

That's so cool. I would love to be able to scuba, but I'm terrified of deep, dark, spooky water, so I would only scuba in places like Hawaii, the carribean etc where I could see everything around me. :)

coral diver
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
20 feet visibility here in the California cost is good but in the islands that bad normal in those places is 75 or more on a good day which is most of the time

loose-electron
10-17-2007, 01:16 PM
PADI open water cerification in SD course wll cost you around $200 plus cost of books/materials ($85) and equipment rental for the dives. (varies on what ya buy and rent)

I got the materials and was going to start the program but a blonde distracted me for a while. WIll finish it after Xmas.

Techknowledgy
10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Been diving since I was 11. Back then you could do that. It is so cool. The water here is cold, but island dives rock. We used to go to Anacapa up there all the time. Here in SD so much of the life is gone, but it is still a great experience. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Shells
10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Been diving for over 15 years and I photograph underwater and love every dive. Take the class - take the class - take the class.

Your photographs will only be as good as your buoyance, and your buoyancy will only be good if you dive. You need to practice diving to take good photos.

Techknowledgy
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Underwater photography rocks. Get the brightest lights there are. Gotta try this with digital pics. All of what I have is glossy older stuff. Do it! You WILL NOT be sorry.

Dakota
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
The $300 includes books, and equipment (except for boots, fins, snorkel, gloves, and mask). It's a 3 week, 2 days/week course, or a LONG fri-sun course, with two open water dives (or was it 4??) I think two...

Plus, I'm gonna start buying some gear.. got a friend who's selling some stuff... I'll probably pick up a wet suit, mask, and boots, regulator, and a computer thingi (dont' know a lot yet, but I'll get there).

coral diver
10-17-2007, 04:06 PM
A word of caution wet suit glove yada, yada, etc, etc ok to buy used, online but life support like your regulator, BCD and dive computer i suggest get it new with all warranty dont put your life in danger trust me i work in the industry

mazilla
10-17-2007, 04:43 PM
i've been milling over getting certified lately, i think i'm gonna.

Techknowledgy
10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Good advice Coral Diver. If your life depends on it, buy new stuff.

coral diver
10-17-2007, 06:10 PM
i've been milling over getting certified lately, i think i'm gonna.
Maz there a dive shop corner of Johnson and Arnel or Ocean Enterprise thier one of the few store that carry our BRAND (SCUBAPRO) :D free adds :D

Redeye
10-17-2007, 06:55 PM
advanced at some places around town were $150, but that was a year ago, don't know now

Diver Dan
10-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Maz there a dive shop corner of Johnson and Arnel or Ocean Enterprise thier one of the few store that carry our BRAND (SCUBAPRO) :D free adds :D

I've been in there!

mazilla
10-17-2007, 07:23 PM
i'll check it out tomorrow, it's about bonus time again(for my fiancee ;) )...hey honey wanna scuba?

Dakota
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
As for the used stuff, I'm going to have it serviced (which pretty much means they replace the internals) The rest is just a 'case'. Also, it's a Scuba Pro, and they warrant parts for life (all I pay is labor). I'm not worried about it. Otherwise I would never have bought a used car. . .

coral diver
10-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Eric please make sure who will give you the warranty we at SCUBAPRO WILL VIOD WARRANTY IF THE EQUIPMENT IS PURCHASED USED FROM THE ORIGINAL REGISTERED OWNER but we can still do service and repair with shipping, partsand labor fee

Dakota
10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Eric please make sure who will give you the warranty we at SCUBAPRO WILL VIOD WARRANTY IF THE EQUIPMENT IS PURCHASED USED FROM THE ORIGINAL REGISTERED OWNER but we can still do service and repair with shipping, partsand labor fee

Huh? that wording sounds confusing. . . i was told that as long as the warranty card accompanies the gear, it's still covered... If that is NOT the case, then I'm going to have to rethink my purchasing strategy.... granted most companies don't usually provide free parts to service.. but still!!