PDA

View Full Version : For you Fresh Water peeps!

Dakota
10-15-2007, 02:00 PM
So at this point, I'm going forward with my FW setup plan. . . kind of put it on the back burner, but I'm finally gonna do it... my question is this. I have HOB filters (two Aquaclear 300), but I also have it drilled for a sump. . . Do you guys think I should just keep it sump plumbed? Or would it be easier to just use the Aquaclears?? I'm only concerned about noise and spillage (did that A LOT with my reef setup).... I'll probably go planted too, so I think it'd be easier with the CO2 reactor.... What do you guys use?

Redeye
10-15-2007, 02:03 PM
running the reactor would probably be alot easier with a sump, since you can set it all up down there for easy access

other than that, I love canister filters for freshwater, SOO much easier and quieter

Daniel
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Canister filter is the way to go with FW planted tanks.

Join the new SD Planted forum!
http://sdplanted.com/forums/

acbaldwin
10-15-2007, 02:21 PM
running CO2 + HOB or a sump is going to be an uphill battle. When running OC2 you want to minimize O2 exchange. HOB filters/sumps maximize it.
I would go with a nice eheim canister.

Shells
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Have had an Eheim Canister on my FW planted for years and no problems and no noise.

Dakota
10-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Hrm... so for those who use canisters, do you just hide your heater and CO2 reactors??? I guess that's my only benefit of running the sump is to minimize clutter (small tank, 50 tall). . . But a canister is nice and quiet... but I'd have to BUY one. . . I had some old Magnums, but they were... um... old... and aren't very user friendly.... Should i get an Eheim for the minimum rated tank size? or go one size up?

pk-sd
10-16-2007, 07:35 AM
For all FW folks (fweefer ??:confused: ), there is SDplanted site online now. Come check it out. Like to see more people there. It gets lonely.:(

http://sdplanted.com/

iVgOnMaD
10-16-2007, 07:44 AM
You can use a CO2 diffuser inline with a cannister or your return pump, the heater can be hidden in between plants but can sometimes cause hot water areas since the plants dont allow very good circulation around the heater.

I would use the sump and overflow and install all the equipment down there, much easier to work that way.

ps. My new FWP 240g has an overflow as well and i am going to make use of it...

acbaldwin
10-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Hrm... so for those who use canisters, do you just hide your heater and CO2 reactors??? I guess that's my only benefit of running the sump is to minimize clutter (small tank, 50 tall). . . But a canister is nice and quiet... but I'd have to BUY one. . . I had some old Magnums, but they were... um... old... and aren't very user friendly.... Should i get an Eheim for the minimum rated tank size? or go one size up?

Meant to put this here, put it in whatever's thread instead. :rolleyes:

A lot of people use the ADA glass diffusers, lily pipes, etc. You can find some cheap but nice knock-offs on aquabid.com or ebay.
Like Ivan said a strategically placed heater would be a good idea.
Very few people in fwpt run sumps since, well, there's not really much equipment to hide. Pretty much a filter, a heater, and co2.

Dakota
10-16-2007, 04:03 PM
well I have an aquamedic CO2 reactor, so I dont' think i can put one of those inline with a canister... hrm... I COULD hide it behind some plants.. or down in a corner... I was thinking of using a spray bar if I went with the sump.. crap, this sucks.

Also, though not NEEDED, I have a UV too that I could take advantage of if i go sump.

chin_monster
10-16-2007, 04:21 PM
What I'm going to do when I finally finish tearing down my "reef" tank and reset it up as FW planted is just run a really small return pump and quasi seal the sump with glass/ plexi pcs to make something akin to canister filter (kinda). Prolly will plumb through the sump top pieces w/ bulkheads and/ or uniseals to get a better containment/ utilization of CO2. I'll have something akin to a CO2 reactor w/ the finished sump, a place to put heaters, CO2 diffuser n such and hopefully just enough surface skimming from the overflow box (and really small return pump) to eliminate surface scuzz w/o have excessive surface turbulence (and CO2 loss).

Dakota
10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
What I'm going to do when I finally finish tearing down my "reef" tank and reset it up as FW planted is just run a really small return pump and quasi seal the sump with glass/ plexi pcs to make something akin to canister filter (kinda). Prolly will plumb through the sump top pieces w/ bulkheads and/ or uniseals to get a better containment/ utilization of CO2. I'll have something akin to a CO2 reactor w/ the finished sump, a place to put heaters, CO2 diffuser n such and hopefully just enough surface skimming from the overflow box (and really small return pump) to eliminate surface scuzz w/o have excessive surface turbulence (and CO2 loss).

That's sounds like a cool idea (enclosing the sump). Problem is... not sure if I have the resources for that... alTHOUGH, I could use a standard tank cover and seal 1/2 of it.. then create a negative system to keep the rest sealed. . . OR I could just plop everything in the........... wait a minute.. I just had an idea! I have my tank plumbed for a Closed Loop... I could utilize this with a small, outsize "tank" that would allow a slow flow though it and push it back through the system... so i guess it'd be more like an "open loop" or something... but I could stash the heater and C02 back there.. hrm....