PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

Pescaiolo
10-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Howdy folks! I didn't know where exactly to post this so I assumed this would be the best place. I am reefer living on the east coast(Va Beach, VA) that will soon be moving to east county San Diego(Early Nov.). I was looking around for a forum to post on and found this one after noticing the SDMAS site is practically dead! :P I will be moving my 55g mixed reef and setting up a 120g here at my girlfriend's parent's house, in their garage. I am here in SD right now(Chula Vista) and will be setting up the DT before I head back home next Friday to collect the rest of my things to move. I had a few questions about some things if you folks don't mind. :)

I will need water since my RO/DI unit is still back home in VA. How exactly can I get water from the Scripp's Center in La Jolla? Is there a special list you have to get on to be able to get water from them? What LFSs would you folks recommend for live sand, dry goods(pumps) and livestock? I need a few lbs of sand to inoculate my DSB and I am going to need a return pump for my sump, plus I want to see what kind of livestock the stores around here offer as compared to back home. :) I am so glad I found this website and as soon as I get moved over here I will be joining SDMAS and attending meetings. Thanks in advance! God bless!

BigAir
10-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Start here for the scripps info. http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11201

I am the guy to talk to about getting large amounts delivered and pumped straight into the tank if you are not setup to move that much at 1 time.
Welcome aboard.

acbaldwin
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Howdy folks! I didn't know where exactly to post this so I assumed this would be the best place.

Well, you got that right! :D :D

Just read around here, there is a TON of great information to help you get familiar with SD. And welcome, coming from a former VAer (used to live in Norfolk... Narhfok as the locals call it.:D

KingRB
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
just look around.
People are selling stuff on this forum all the time..

Welcome to the group...

mazilla
10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
dont move to east county, start there. :)

Techknowledgy
10-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Be nice Maz,
Welcome to the Left Coast. East County is an okay place to be from. Scripps water is free, use the search function on the site to find anything else you need. Lots of great people here. You can find everything you need here to get started, at really good prices. LS, LR all of it.... and TONS of free advice.

GoTakuF1
10-11-2007, 03:34 PM
dont move to east county, start there. :)

Haha, classic!!

Pescaiolo - Welcome to SDReefs! As the others have mentioned, it's quite a good community we have here so feel free to ask questions to get yourself familiarize with SD. Regarding Scripps, it's free to the public and very easy to attain, this thread should give you all the info you need: http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11201.

There are a lot of LFS and resellers, they all have their positive and negative points - check out the Local Fish Stores forums to get an idea. If you need things like return pumps, live sand, etc. Just post a wanted ad on here and someone will take care of you. Good luck and post some photos of your tank!

victortrav
10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
well welcome to sd i am the current president of sdmas and we welcome all new comers. We have been reorgaizing so bare with us. We went through a period of inactivity and are starting back up full swing. You just missed the BBQ.
as far as scripps its free for the taking just remember to wind the hose back up.

MichaelRyanSD
10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
well welcome to sd i am the current president of sdmas and we welcome all new comers. We have been reorgaizing so bare with us. We went through a period of inactivity and are starting back up full swing. You just missed the BBQ.
as far as scripps its free for the taking just remember to wind the hose back up.

your the president....really?!?!?

mazilla
10-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Be nice Maz,
Welcome to the Left Coast. East County is an okay place to be from. Scripps water is free, use the search function on the site to find anything else you need. Lots of great people here. You can find everything you need here to get started, at really good prices. LS, LR all of it.... and TONS of free advice.

i'm just sayin....
i moved from riverside without really checking into the neighborhood, damn internet makes everything so easy. i was all excited about moving out of Riverside, only to find that i basically moved back into the Riverside of SD. of course there are some nice areas out here, i like the rural homes i have looked at. but living close to the freeway, it's kinda getto. that is unless a crackhead on bike cracking a bull whip riding down the middle of the street after midnight isnt considered getto; or the other crackheads i had to chase out of the house planned for demolition in the next lot with a .45 because they we're inside smoking meth and hiding behind bushes when i would come out of the front door. i waited for the cops, but after a day with no show(i happened to be off that day) i decided to remove them myself. the last thing i want is some tweeker ahole learning my daily routine and coming in my house(when my fiancee would probably be sleeping) after i leave for work or go to the gym.

i'm not saying everybody is bad by any means, but there are a higher percentage of wierdos here than other areas( and a lower percentage than others still). running a courier company i have had the chance to visit just about every area in San diego at one time or another.

alivin
10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Welcome!! Everyone on here is super knowledgeble, helpful and really passionate about this hobby. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they all know the answers!!

RussM
10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Welcome, Pesciolo!

Don't let one person who chose a bad spot to live in steer you wrong... there are quite a few nice places in east SD county.

...but living close to the freeway, it's kinda getto. that is unless a crackhead on bike cracking a bull whip riding down the middle of the street after midnight isnt considered getto;...

...i'm not saying everybody is bad by any means, but there are a higher percentage of wierdos here than other areas( and a lower percentage than others still). running a courier company i have had the chance to visit just about every area in San Diego at one time or another.
And there aren't plenty of weirdos in OB, PB, La Jolla, Oceanside, CV, or anywhere else? C'mon, the kind of sweeping generalizations you make are just flat out wrong. FWIW, I live within sight of I8 in east county too - in a nice quiet family-friendly neighborhood. I saw way more stoners, tweakers, etc, and just plain old freaky folk when I lived in Point Loma.

Pescaiolo
10-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow thanks everyone! I am definitely looking forward to meeting everyone and trading frags!

There are bad apples everywhere...ask acbaldwin, Hampton Roads is Hades compared to any part of SD. My girlfriend tells me we are in a bad part of town and I am surprised because it looks decent compared to the ghettos back home. :p

Thank you so much for the information everyone! What is everyone into collecting(Softies, Large Polyp Scleractinian, Small Polyp Scelractinian, Inverts, Fish or all of the above)? Any Zoanthid and Ricordea freaks 'round here? I hope to be able to share some frags of my pieces with everyone once I get situated and settled. :)

Techknowledgy
10-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Yes,
There are freaks for all of the above. Both kinds! Look forward to seeing you on the Premie board soon! Again, welcome!

mazilla
10-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Welcome, Pesciolo!

Don't let one person who chose a bad spot to live in steer you wrong... there are quite a few nice places in east SD county.

And there aren't plenty of weirdos in OB, PB, La Jolla, Oceanside, CV, or anywhere else? C'mon, the kind of sweeping generalizations you make are just flat out wrong. FWIW, I live within sight of I8 in east county too - in a nice quiet family-friendly neighborhood. I saw way more stoners, tweakers, etc, and just plain old freaky folk when I lived in Point Loma.

http://www.city-data.com/city/El-Cajon-California.html

what you call sweeping generalizations, i call facts. as unfortunate as it is, poorer cities are not known to be the greatest of places to live. the numbers dont lie.

Diver Dan
10-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i'm just sayin....
i moved from riverside without really checking into the neighborhood, damn internet makes everything so easy. i was all excited about moving out of Riverside, only to find that i basically moved back into the Riverside of SD. of course there are some nice areas out here, i like the rural homes i have looked at. but living close to the freeway, it's kinda getto. that is unless a crackhead on bike cracking a bull whip riding down the middle of the street after midnight isnt considered getto; or the other crackheads i had to chase out of the house planned for demolition in the next lot with a .45 because they we're inside smoking meth and hiding behind bushes when i would come out of the front door. i waited for the cops, but after a day with no show(i happened to be off that day) i decided to remove them myself. the last thing i want is some tweeker ahole learning my daily routine and coming in my house(when my fiancee would probably be sleeping) after i leave for work or go to the gym.

i'm not saying everybody is bad by any means, but there are a higher percentage of wierdos here than other areas( and a lower percentage than others still). running a courier company i have had the chance to visit just about every area in San diego at one time or another.

Man Where do you live?!?!?!:eek: :confused:

Every city has its junk towns and el cajon is turning into one as far as i can tell. I would say move more east, Blossom Valey is where it is at! No crime no "crackheads" and they have tons of golf carts to drive arround, it sounds like my kind of paradise.:D

Anyways welcome to the boards!

Pescaiolo
10-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Thank you so much everyone!

I ordered my new tank from a LFS in La Mesa(120g AGA with 2 corner overflows, 48x24x24). They quoted me an awesome price for it so I couldn't turn it down. I need to go bigger since I have 3 tangs(albeit small) in my current set up...and more coral room doesn't hurt(well maybe the pocket book!).

I looked around their selection of fish and I asked if they had an Acanthurus Achilles(Achilles Tang). The nice gentleman said no they did not. I asked about how much one would cost me if I ordered one. He said upwards of $189.99. I was in shock! I thought stuff out here would be cheaper since California is on the Pacific Ocean and closer to collecting sites?! Any suggestions on where to get cheaper livestock?

Techknowledgy
10-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Right here.