PDA

View Full Version : Got a ? re: halogen bulbs -people in the know??

DaChrisDude
10-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Anyone know anything about halogen bulbs?

Does the nature of halogen limit the Kelvin rating to below some specific level (2,900K to be exact?)

If not, anyone know where i can get a fairly specific bulb:

Double Ended T3 (J-type?)
~78-80mm
70-200watt

Similar to this: http://www.goodmart.com/products/171155.htm
http://www.goodmart.com/images/prodimages/higuchi/1009.jpg

acbaldwin
10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Hmm I've got a few of those 200w lamps, can't find a kelvin rating. Look to be about 4000k to me, possibly as low as 2900k though.
If you're okay with yellow, I'll ship one to you for the price of shipping.

DaChrisDude
10-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Andrew, I don't actually need it though, unless it's significantly more than 2.9K. I bought one of those 250w floodlights at HD today for $4 ($4? Lol!) and was wondering if it could be used over a tank oneday... The bulb it comes with is the ugly 2.9K halogen bulb. I did about 1/2hr of research online to see if I could find any other bulbs that would work in that fixture that were a higher Kelvin rating...couldn't find any. :(

DaveMorris
10-04-2007, 10:53 PM
The fact that a bulb is halogen has no impact on temperature rating. Technically the MH bulbs we use are halogens. As far as finding one that will fit that $4 fixture, I don't know. Try Lightbulbs Etc. or a place like that.

acbaldwin
10-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks Andrew, I don't actually need it though, unless it's significantly more than 2.9K. I bought one of those 250w floodlights at HD today for $4 ($4? Lol!) and was wondering if it could be used over a tank oneday... The bulb it comes with is the ugly 2.9K halogen bulb. I did about 1/2hr of research online to see if I could find any other bulbs that would work in that fixture that were a higher Kelvin rating...couldn't find any. :(

Sorry bud - if it was even remotely white light I'd have it over my tank right now. $4 is a helluva deal, although 2900k isn't even that great for a fuge... Lemme know if you find anything in the 5000k+ range, I'd be all over that.

klevur1
10-04-2007, 11:16 PM
a while ago i spent some time compairing the bulbs' lumen ratings @ HD. i found one that screws into a regular fixture & puts out 3,000k @40w. it had the highest lumen rating on any light bulb there. it grew a seedling plant nearly as fast as my PCs so i'm pretty sure it'd work decently for corals requiring like up to ~5w/gal. as long as it was somewhat directed on them. lighting technology just keeps getting betR.. excellente`!

hey Dave - i thought MHs were high intensity discharge utilizing an arc of electricity where a halogen uses reactive gases to create light.. ?

DaChrisDude
10-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Hmm...thanks all for your input / knowledge --I learned some things.

I emailed the lightbulbs.com people...

Anyone else?

klevur: lumens or Kelvin?? Lumens, I believe, are a measure of light intensity aka how bright the bulb is. Kelvin on the other hand, is a measure of the color-spectrum (or wavelength to be more precise)

DaChrisDude
10-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I got a reply:

Chris,

As far as we know, there are no other options in terms of color temperature.
You could contact the manufacturers directly to see if they have something
that we are maybe not aware of. You can reach Sylvania toll-free
800/544.4828 and Westinghouse toll-free 800/999.2226. Thanks for your
cooperation.

Molly
Customer Support
Service Lighting, Inc.

DaveMorris
10-05-2007, 09:33 AM
"hey Dave - i thought MHs were high intensity discharge utilizing an arc of electricity where a halogen uses reactive gases to create light.. ?"

You are correct. My reference to MH's being halogens comes from the way they are made. Both bulbs burn a gas to generate light, but they do it slightly different. I probably just confused the issue more in saying it.

loose-electron
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
just being a nit -

burn a gas? Probably better to say that its a filament used within a gas

just bein a nit

klevur1
10-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Chris: you're right.. i should've worded it differently! hey those phone numbers could come in handy heh heh

Dave: nah.. you just made it more clear i think! =)

loose-electron: there are no filaments that light-up in H.I.D. bulbs. look closely & you won't find one like in a regular tungsten filament bulb that is used in like house lamps and stuff. instead of a filament it's a pure arc of electricity much like a lightning bolt.