PDA

View Full Version : Id like to start controlling my algae without chems.

colindoug3
10-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I am thinking about getting an emerald crab. I have heard these guys are pretty good at controlling hair algae. Was it Marlo or SoKal who even put hair algae in a tank cause they knew the emerald would take care of it. Anyone know how much these guys are from VM Aquatics? And what about sailfin algae blennies. Anyone have luck with these guys controlling algae a little?

colindoug3
10-24-2004, 09:41 PM
hi jason, thanks for the reply. I feed zooplankton and flake. I will try the LMB, but he will probably end up liking the zooplankton more than the algae. I have some brine, and I would like to experiment hatching some hopefully this week. I have some nassarius snails in there, and I love the guys. The tank is only a 29, so unfortunately I cant get a tang. Someday I will upgrade and make life easier. :-D

triggerSD
10-24-2004, 09:47 PM
get a little tiny yellow tang and when your algae is gone get rid of him. I havent had and algae outbreak since something ate it all. What sucks is someone gave me some aptasias on a frag and I am infested again...

colindoug3
10-24-2004, 09:59 PM
thats not a bad idea. get a little one and then trade it off or something. i would be a little worried about the compatibility of him and my angel though. its a 'rusty angel.' she eats a little algae, she must. her waste is green. but she is hardly putting a dent in the stuff.

T. VO
10-24-2004, 10:32 PM
I've got two emerald crabs in my 29. Not only do they eat the bubble algae but they cleaned up my hair algae problem. I love those little guys.

brahm
10-24-2004, 10:59 PM
i've got emeralds for 5 bucks.

colindoug3
11-01-2004, 02:30 PM
well, i started to tackle this problem. i went and saw mparkis sunday. i got an emerald crab and a few sally lightfoots. one sally is in the 29, one im saving for a friend, and the other will go in my 10, its in a rubbermade right now though. i also stopped by tricity on the way home. i got a lawnmower blenny. chap youre right. i love these guys. the emerald started munching right when he got in there. the sally was a little shy. the LMB was a bit shy, but i saw him chomping a little too. with new additions i expect to see a noticeable difference by the weekend.

ninhsavestheday
11-01-2004, 02:35 PM
emerald crabs iiizzzzzowns!

usjaz
11-01-2004, 02:39 PM
rabbitfish are even better than tangs for algae control...

colindoug3
11-01-2004, 03:38 PM
yea, but then youve got a rabbitfish in your tank!

sdwrx
11-01-2004, 04:37 PM
I bought one emerald for my 112gal and it took care of the hair algae VERY quickly. However it hasn't touched my valonia!

usjaz
11-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by colindoug3
yea, but then youve got a rabbitfish in your tank!

What's wrong with rabbitfish? They won't stab you with their poisonous spine... TRUST me ;) LOL .....

REEFWAVE
11-02-2004, 01:04 AM
dont they occasionally pick at corals though.

[G]h0s']['
11-02-2004, 03:43 AM
My emerald crabs have done wonders for me. That combined with a sally light foot and several hermits have kept my 125gal sps/softie mixed tank with very low algae levels. The question is also controlling algae without chems. If you have room for a fuge with macro algae...that might help. I feed only every other day as well. Fish are healthy, crabs are healthy, corals are healthy.

WanaLeime
11-02-2004, 05:44 AM
I've kept a couple of emeralds crabs in my tank as well, they did the job of controlling the alge, but i havent had any success on keeping them alive, after a few months they disappear'???:confused: Not enough alge for them to eat? but since they're only a few bucks, i didnt mind...they pulled thier weight.