PDA

View Full Version : Don't Buy This Glue!

MarLooney
10-24-2004, 06:38 PM
here's a product warning for anyone who's glueing corals.

this stuff from HD sucks balls. it says "THICK GEL" on the tube. it's so thick in fact it comes out almost dry already and hardly stuck to anything but my fingers. it doesn't even squeeze through the applicating needle tip it comes with. i found this product to be completely useless when glueing corals. i just wanted to toss out this info before anyone else wastes $ on it.

samason
10-24-2004, 06:59 PM
yeah, I've used that stuff too, and it totally blows, I used to use special-t super glew that I bought at aw over a year and a half ago, now they don't carry it anymore. too bad, that stuff worked great for me. Anyone know of a good super glue to use on corals?

T. VO
10-24-2004, 07:36 PM
I've been using a super glue gel from office depot. Works really well for me. I'll have to find it and see what kind it is.

MrKrispy
10-24-2004, 07:41 PM
I've used this glue before, not great but didn't seem any worse than regular superglue gel.

traff
10-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I've had pretty good luck with almost all of the Gel Superglue. The trick that seems to work for me the best is to store the glue in the freezer until you're ready to use it. The glue won't freeze solid but it does take on a real nice thick milk shake consistency.

MarLooney
10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
i've probably used over half a dozen diff types of gel super glue. this is the only one i've ever had probs w/. i think next time i'll just avoid one's that are supposed to be thick. i heard the freezer thing works too... not before you use... but after it's been opened to keep it from drying out. i keep forgetting to try that.

TommyD
10-26-2004, 06:09 AM
Marlo;

I can't believe YOU have ever had a bottle of superglue dry out. I think you use 1 bottle per day :)

MarLooney
10-26-2004, 08:56 AM
well i try not to glue a few corals at time. when i decide to make frags i usually make a bunch, and it's not every day :p, that way i use a full tube and don't have to worry about storing it for later use, sometimes i even use more than one tube. hopefully next time i remember the freezer trick.

MarLooney
11-09-2004, 02:05 AM
just got Ross Super Glue Gel from Target. 2-pack for $1.47. oh hell yes :D. and it works just fine.

peterluber
11-09-2004, 03:05 PM
when i got my star polyps, i was able to wedge them in pretty well, but i want to get shrooms and i only have two rocks, not a bunch of smaller ones, so how should i attach the shrooms? or should i just buy a shroom rock and re-aquascape so i have three main rocks? because i cant really take the rock out

MarLooney
11-09-2004, 03:30 PM
usually when you buy corals they're already attached to rocks. if you end up buying loose shrooms try placing them in a small cup w/ rubble in a low flow area of your tank. PM me if you need more help.

MarLooney
11-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by traff
I've had pretty good luck with almost all of the Gel Superglue. The trick that seems to work for me the best is to store the glue in the freezer until you're ready to use it. The glue won't freeze solid but it does take on a real nice thick milk shake consistency.

i finally remember and tried it myself... the freezer trick works! so to everyone using super glue gel to attach corals i can personally vouch for this one... freezer it! ;)