PDA

View Full Version : cleaner shrimp with eggs

samason
10-24-2004, 05:32 PM
I have a pair of skunk cleaner shrimp in my tank and one of them is loaded with eggs, ive had em for about one year, and before that i have always had at least two and never seen any get eggs before, does anyone know if this is normal, and is it possible to raise the eggs, how do they hatch, should i put the shrimp in a quarantine tank, or should i just let my fish eat the eggs when they hatch? well, looking for advice, so lets hear it.

BrookR1
10-24-2004, 06:07 PM
I understand it's a very difficult and involved process to raise shrimp. They hatch at night and are usually eaten up quickly by the other members of your tank or they get trapped in filters, powerheads, etc. The cleaners I have started carrying eggs about 2 months ago. To my dismay, they would pull the eggs out of their sacs and eat them like popcorn.

brahm
10-24-2004, 07:22 PM
it's coral food! they should be doing it a few times a month. It's impossible to raise the larve in a home based up.. pretty much nearly impossible in any op.. They require a diffrent food type each stage of lavarge morph which I think it in the above 20 range.

samason
10-24-2004, 07:33 PM
yeah, that is what i figured, but i wanted to be sure just in case, at least my corals will be fat and happy, i hope that the shrimp keep having more....