PDA

View Full Version : Cox Internet Has Shut My Internet Down

unix858
09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
wow .. This is the 3rd time COX internet has shut down my internet. All three were someone else using my internet connection to download something. 2 years ago it was shut down due to someone Downloading "SPANGLISH" LOL, 1 month ago it was shut down for someone downloading "STREET FIGHTER GAME"
and last night it was shut down this morning for someone downloading another "street Fighter game"... i have suspicions on the street fighter games but SPANGLISH .. i dont know hahah. My nephew brings his laptop when he stays over and uses my internet so "HINT HINT" "Points at nephew". Basically COX has a 3 strike rule... LOL i will be calling them today to try to reactivate my internet. Im at work right now so we will see. THOSE *******S!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

barrman
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
wow... they monitor your home internet uploads and downloads?

i thought they only monitored business accounts.

acbaldwin
09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
You need to smack your nephew for downloading spanglish.

I'm actually surprised, I've got about 600GB at home that isn't exactly RIAA-friendly.

You can block the ports on your router if he's using something like bittorrent.

And if he's not, you need to smack him again for inefficient piracy.:D

SolRo
09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Good to know, guess I won't be getting COX lol

they'd shut me down after a week ;)

swissfish
09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
why would they care what you download???
It doesen't seem to be theyr resposebility to controll the people.

SolRo
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
why would they care what you download???
It doesen't seem to be theyr resposebility to controll the people.

It takes up bandwidth, and it is illegal to download certain things, so they are justified in doing so.

But not sure why they'd want to be driving off customers.

barrman
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
thats why i'm so confused... i've frequently downloaded questionable stuff in the past but i've never had an issue with my home account. business acount is another story...

you must have had an extreme amount of bandwidth usage for them to red flag your account and start monitoring it!

luistwentyone
09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
if Cox is going to be monitoring what you do online, they should make the payment for you.

Cox internet sucks

go with AT&T DSL, I have absolutely no problem downloading Spanglish, or any other movies

marineman1978
09-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I shall agree that Cox sucks. they only monitor you if you are killing the bandwith with downloads. I have a few friends that this has happened to. If you are using a bittorrrent you just cant download too many things at once. I work with tons of computer geeks and they download buttloads of crap, they just monitor how much they are downloading and haven't had a problem since.

MrKrispy
09-14-2007, 11:35 AM
they actually don't monitor what you download. The copyright holders (i.e. studios/record labels) have to monitor and when they see you are sharing a file they own, they contact the ISP. The ISP usually gives you a chance to delete it, or you can call up and tell them you deleted it and they re-instate your service. Cox/Time Warner don't care, if you don't download stuff a lot of people wouldn't need broadband and wouldn't pay the high price.

luistwentyone
09-14-2007, 11:40 AM
they actually don't monitor what you download. The copyright holders (i.e. studios/record labels) have to monitor and when they see you are sharing a file they own, they contact the ISP. The ISP usually gives you a chance to delete it, or you can call up and tell them you deleted it and they re-instate your service. Cox/Time Warner don't care, if you don't download stuff a lot of people wouldn't need broadband and wouldn't pay the high price.

do the studios\record labels only contact Cox ?

cause if they dont, sounds like AT&T tells em to go have sex with themselves

barometer
09-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it's rare that a copyright holder actually gets involved in this sort of thing. I agree with Booker, Bittorrent (or similar bandwidth hog) is most likely the culprit. Just monitor your own machine's downloads so it's not overloading the system (i.e. 1 file at a time) and all should be fine. :)

unix858
09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
well im gonna need to call them today to turn it on.

DaChrisDude
09-14-2007, 01:10 PM
weird.

I have cox, and use a peer-to-peer "360Share" - I've got over 110 movies, plus tons of songs..

Or is that an entirely different thing from downloading off the net?

unix858
09-14-2007, 02:24 PM
i just realized that both STREET FIGHTER games probably have some type of tracker on it. Becuase both street fighter games that my nephew dled where both detected. He told me to use peer guardian.. then i smacked him and told me to USE his own internet to dl ish...:mad:

DaveMorris
09-14-2007, 10:00 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with content. It has everything to do with bandwidth. They shut down home accounts that exceed the bandwidth averages and when you ***** they will try to sell you a business account to handle it. It is all spelled out in that language that none of ever read when you sign up.

I, on the other hand, am very pleased with Cox. We have their Internet service, phone service, and HD-DVR TV service. Never had any complaints. Then again, I'm not stealing software with it.

marineman1978
09-15-2007, 06:24 AM
I don't download movies because I end up watching them once and then they just take up room on my HD.

lucubrator
09-15-2007, 09:05 AM
Cox usually tells you that you've been caught downloading stuff. There are (at least) two companies that monitor who's uploading what on the torrent sites.
It's hard for the companies to go after the downloaders, but it's easy for them to go after the uploaders. When you dl from bittorrent, everyone downloading from you knows your ip, and can track that back to your isp, and then they tell them what and when you were sharing. One of these companies is www.bsa.org, and there's another that does movie tracking.

Chanas4
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with content. It has everything to do with bandwidth. They shut down home accounts that exceed the bandwidth averages and when you ***** they will try to sell you a business account to handle it. It is all spelled out in that language that none of ever read when you sign up.

I, on the other hand, am very pleased with Cox. We have their Internet service, phone service, and HD-DVR TV service. Never had any complaints. Then again, I'm not stealing software with it.

I am also very happy with Cox. I have all the same things as you Dave and no problems. AT&T on the other hand we had problems with and still do. They actually came on our property, painted a white line across out lawn and cut our phone line. We realized it one day when our phones went down and we called Cox to fix it. found the white line leading to our box and the cut wire.

CNCreefer
09-15-2007, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't give AT&T the time of day. I'll keep my cox internet going, no problems here.

jacksandgo
09-16-2007, 12:16 AM
If you're using bittorrent to download "shady stuff", and aren't using a blocking software like Peerguardian to block EVERYTHING from those sites it lists, including HTTP connections, you're going to get nailed eventually. It's just a matter of time.

There are third party companies contracting with the MPAA and RIAA to track you, identify your IP address, and forward said info to both the companies they work for, as well as your ISP. Time Warner/Roadrunner started bi***slapping people over a year ago for this same thing....just like Cox is doing now. They're under tremendous pressure to do so, for many reasons.

Like I said, it's just a matter of time if you don't protect yourself. Be smart about what you're doing, or get out. Seriously. :(

DaChrisDude
09-16-2007, 12:51 AM
what is this whole "torrent" / "Bittorrent" thing?

Just looked back at my P2P program... under Options there's a category called "Bittorent". Then, there are two sections of options: "Automatically start torrents" and "Bit Torrent Settings".

Under "Automatically start torrents" it says "You can choose whether to automatically start torrents downloaded from Gnutella" and has a check box.

Under "Bit Torrent Settings" is says "You can choose whether or not (the program) should manage your Bit Torrent Protocal settings." It reccommends it and gives a check box. it also gives options for maximum and minimum uploads per torrent and 'safe chunk verification.'

What does all this do / mean?

mazilla
09-16-2007, 01:44 AM
at&t for me, never had a problem.

luistwentyone
09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
spoke to soon.

my AT&T phone service and DSL went out today. I called AT&T, they cant get someone out til tomorrow. not soon enough.

I already ordered Cox phone and internet.

adios AT&T

unix858
09-17-2007, 08:17 PM
lol.. got my internet back and was told that an outside company is the one that monitors the download and reports it to COX. Cox has to take the affirmative action LOL

jrjuiliano
09-18-2007, 04:38 AM
what is this whole "torrent" / "Bittorrent" thing?

Just looked back at my P2P program... under Options there's a category called "Bittorent". Then, there are two sections of options: "Automatically start torrents" and "Bit Torrent Settings".

Under "Automatically start torrents" it says "You can choose whether to automatically start torrents downloaded from Gnutella" and has a check box.

Under "Bit Torrent Settings" is says "You can choose whether or not (the program) should manage your Bit Torrent Protocal settings." It reccommends it and gives a check box. it also gives options for maximum and minimum uploads per torrent and 'safe chunk verification.'

What does all this do / mean?

Bit Torrent programs allow you to download files (it's really useful and LEGAL to use for downloading Linux distributions) from many different people at the same time to speed things up, assuming they have their BT programs going as well. In most cases there is a tracker in there that tells a central location that you (or anyone else) has a bit of the program available to share. There are also hash marks to make sure everyone is downloading the same program with no bits of junk in it.

I've been hit by COX a couple of times. Please note that COX mostly cares that you have been SHARING the files. So with BT you are automatically sharing as you've been downloading. Same deal actually with any peer-2-peer programs.

The RIAAA and MPAA can get your IP address (not your name, number anything else but IP) based on what you are sharing and report it to COX using a some kind of cease and decist order. Cox will only pass it along to you since you had the IP address at the time of the upload/download.

Cox really doesn't care what you download since it's part of their common carrier status, where they are not obligated to monitor everything you download. And if the RIAA / MPAA are getting hints that you are downloading only, that tells me that they are setting up servers to catch you doing it (entrapment) or they are sniffing your network (sort of wiretapping), both of which are illegal for non-police uses!