PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Fuel : News & Video

Reef Papi
09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Just saw this article on engadget about some guy who stumbled upon a way to make saltwater combustible using only Radio Waves.

I highly recommend watching the video if this sort of thing interests you. Also if you want a good chuckle theres a part in the 1:50 minute of the video where one of the engineers gives his very nerdy reaction to the discovery.. "its... its incredible!" :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf4gOS8aoFk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eengadget%2Ecom%2F2007%2F09 %2F11%2Fcan%2Dsaltwater%2Dbe%2Dburned%2Das%2Dfuel% 2F

If you watch long enough theres also a part where the radio waves are also used to remotely light up a fluorescent tube without the need of wires or a ballast. I (very geekishly) immediately started conjuring up the idea of new Aquarium lighting possibilities until I realized that it would also cause your tank to blow up lol.

SolRo
09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
It's junk science...

He's "looking for investors" to find out if it's efficient...ie, he's looking for saps with too much money that don't understand how physics and chemistry work to hand him a large check, only to later get "sorry, not efficient"

Reef Papi
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
What is your reasoning that it is not efficient? 1500 centigrade seems like a lot of energy from just saltwater. Unless the cost of running a radio wave generator supercedes the amount of energy created then I dont see how it is inefficient.

It's junk science...

He's "looking for investors" to find out if it's efficient...ie, he's looking for saps with too much money that don't understand how physics and chemistry work to hand him a large check, only to later get "sorry, not efficient"

Redeye
09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
now you've done it...you got solro started...

Techknowledgy
09-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I guess Thomas Edison investors were saps. Inventors need money to work, and in Edison’s time they relied on investors to fund their projects. Today we'd call them venture capitalists. If they have the money, let them invest it. No risk to any of us! Stan needs a venture capitalist for his LEDs. Any takers? :)

SolRo
09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
What is your reasoning that it is not efficient? 1500 centigrade seems like a lot of energy from just saltwater. Unless the cost of running a radio wave generator supercedes the amount of energy created then I dont see how it is inefficient.

That's exactly the point, it needs a giant radio wave generator to turn some ionized hydrogen into plasma...it's not even burning the hydrogen, since hydrogen burns with almost no visible flame.

You can do the same thing in the microwave for brief periods with saltwater and carbonfiber cloth.

(also, you cannot create energy, that violates the laws of physics)

Reef Papi
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
also, you cannot create energy, that violates the laws of physics

You sitting in your chair in front of a computer also violates the laws of physics then because you were created somehow and I promise you the energy wasn't "transferred" from an ape.

The radio wave generators of today may be the size of washing machines but if you imagine the fact that the first computers were the size of large rooms and now can fit in your palm of your hand then the possibilities are endless.

Techknowledgy
09-11-2007, 02:48 PM
If men were meant to fly God would have given them wings.

......one small step for a man, one giant leap and all that.......

My desktop machine is more powerful than any of the computers that were on Apollo.

Jett
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
It's junk science...

Dude, he said he would like some big company to buy the invention from him so he can work on a cure for cancer.

Noob
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
well think about it this way....all the magma in the earth heats up into one ball of energy...microwaves form and all kintetic energy flows....oxygen is produced, and water is evaperated.. making salinty raise from i dont know maybe.. .25 - .29 on the hydrometer... ammonia then boosts up and your fishes die... saltwater in your car will boost up your amonia which will get into the ocean...all the fishes die and the magma just stays hot... phosphates become visible cause of this. You over manage your atoms and you get physical energy..And before you know it, Your wondering if you should have cut the red wire instead of the blue wire...
....Im smart :)

CruiseX
09-11-2007, 05:27 PM
well think about it this way....all the magma in the earth heats up into one ball of energy...microwaves form and all kintetic energy flows....oxygen is produced, and water is evaperated.. making salinty raise from i dont know maybe.. .25 - .29 on the hydrometer... ammonia then boosts up and your fishes die... saltwater in your car will boost up your amonia which will get into the ocean...all the fishes die and the magma just stays hot... phosphates become visible cause of this. You over manage your atoms and you get physical energy..And before you know it, Your wondering if you should have cut the red wire instead of the blue wire...
....Im smart :)

I am left scratching my head and might need to read this again.......:confused:

Diver Dan
09-11-2007, 05:32 PM
"saltwater in your car will boost up your amonia which will get into the ocean"
WHAT?

CruiseX
09-11-2007, 05:33 PM
"saltwater in your car will boost up your amonia which will get into the ocean"
WHAT?

Yes but only when it rains cause the storm drains here go to the ocean. So would that be like littering??

Reef Papi
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes but only when it rains cause the storm drains here go to the ocean. So would that be like littering??

Are you high? Seriously..

Diver Dan
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
That is BS! NOOB i hope you were joking!:);)LOL

CruiseX
09-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Are you high? Seriously..

sense of humor...not so much

SolRo
09-11-2007, 05:38 PM
You sitting in your chair in front of a computer also violates the laws of physics then because you were created somehow and I promise you the energy wasn't "transferred" from an ape.

The radio wave generators of today may be the size of washing machines but if you imagine the fact that the first computers were the size of large rooms and now can fit in your palm of your hand then the possibilities are endless.

I thought you were just misinformed, but if you want to be willfuly ignorant, it's a free country.

Also, would you like to invest in a bridge to heaven?

CruiseX
09-11-2007, 05:40 PM
^^^^another funny^^^^ but so true

Diver Dan
09-11-2007, 05:40 PM
OO OO I would! ^^^
Just kidding.
Tis thread is going to need a mod pretty soon.....

400 pages later.....

Yep

CruiseX
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
yeah seriously - somewhere we got off topic - entertaining nonetheless. It is giving me a good break from playing games online

josh
09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
i would like to see if they could actually use the heat generated from the salt water to be converted to electricity and run the radio wave generator,

seems like junk science to me if it takes more energy to run the radio wave generator than is produced

SolRo
09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't realize that the laws of physics are now also taboo to the evangelicals.

SolRo
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
i would like to see if they could actually use the heat generated from the salt water to be converted to electricity and run the radio wave generator,

seems like junk science to me if it takes more energy to run the radio wave generator than is produced

If the reaction actualy made more energy than it took to run the machine, that little vial would have exploded instantly.

Noob
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
lol i crack myself up.....

Techknowledgy
09-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Stan,
Isn't the sun one of those? Just about? I mean I will take 90 trillion years before the fuel runs out. I just see anything that might potentially wean us off of the Middle Eastern Oil Tit as a good thing. Even exploring it.

SolRo
09-12-2007, 07:21 AM
It's not even remotely efficient is the problem, direct electrolisis is much better.

If you want to get off oil, go solar, it's the best way.

Techknowledgy
09-12-2007, 07:27 AM
What about this? Not just more windmills. It was in Scientific American.
SkyWind Power (http://www.skywindpower.com/ww/index.htm)

SolRo
09-12-2007, 07:31 AM
that too....solar, wind, geothermal, hydro; all better than oil or biofuels.

Techknowledgy
09-12-2007, 07:37 AM
I just wish they would make solar panels that are easier to use and install, and not so damn expensive. They need to make roof tiles out of the stuff, and build all the new houses with them. I would love to sell electricity back to SDG$E. We spec'ed it out for our house. 40k. Yikes!

Reef Papi
09-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't realize that the laws of physics are now also taboo to the evangelicals.

Bravo. You made two ignorant generalizations in one comment.
1. That I didnt believe in ALL the laws of phsyics
2. That it is true for ALL evangelicals.

But then again you are are an evolutionist so im sure youre used too making quick generalizations off of very little evidence.

"hmm.. we look like apes.. we must have evolved from apes. Perfect, print it."

sandiegoryu
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
That's a funny thing to say Reef_Papi. Evolutionists making quick generalizations off of VERY LITTLE evidence.

Creationists making quick generalizations off of no evidence. And then denying the evidence that does not support your way of thinking. w00t. You're better!

SolRo
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Bravo. You made two ignorant generalizations in one comment.
1. That I didnt believe in ALL the laws of phsyics
2. That it is true for ALL evangelicals.

But then again you are are an evolutionist so im sure youre used too making quick generalizations off of very little evidence.

"hmm.. we look like apes.. we must have evolved from apes. Perfect, print it."

Sorry, you haven't the slightest clue about the mountain of past and present data that confirms evolution, so don't even try talking like you know anything about it.

And you cannot pick and choose which laws of physics you believe or don't believe, they are completely dependant on one another.

If you're going to attempt to argue against evolution again, at least try googling up some of the false psudo-sciency arguments your side likes to use, instead of just making up an irrelivant dumb quote.

boalgf
09-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I love this quote:

“When you argue with a fool, chances are he is doing just the same”

or this one

“I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.”

Techknowledgy
09-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Jesse,
This assumes that people are having an argument. Each side has decided what they believe and they will not waiver from it. Discussions are a bit more complicated than that. In those, consenting, well informed adults, quietly and factually state their position. Some agree, some don't. Especially in places like sdreefs, if you do not want to participate in the discussion, it is not mandatory. Just get out the popcorn, read and laugh. I must in my heart believe that people are essentially good. That may be silly, or foolish, but it is better than the inverse, which is a sort of self-imposed paranoia.

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 08:59 AM
there is no arguement, its just solro being a bigot again.

there is no way you can prove evolution or anything for that matter, so dont say that evidence confirms it, thats ignorant. thats why they are called the evolution theory and the creationism theory. its up to you to decide what you believe in.

i know im going to get some kind of stupid "i believe in science" response to this, please lets not get this started.

what information do you base your opinion on the radio wave solution?

SolRo
09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
there is no arguement, its just solro being a bigot again. Big words from the kid not old enough to drink.

there is no way you can prove evolution or anything for that matter, so dont say that evidence confirms it, thats ignorant. thats why they are called the evolution theory and the creationism theory. its up to you to decide what you believe in.
Try learning what theory means first, then talk.

Law = measurable, Theory = so random you cannot make an equation out of it...there will never be an evolution equation, so it stays a theory...a proven theory, but still a theory.

Creationism isnt even a theory, it's just garbage.

i know im going to get some kind of stupid "i believe in science" response to this, please lets not get this started.
Call me a biggot and then try to act like you're better? You're a bigger fool than I thought.

what information do you base your opinion on the radio wave solution?
a) my knowledge of physics
b) double checking with my physics professor, who also thinks this thing is complete nonsense.

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
do you have a dictionary? would you like me to post the definition of "bigot"?

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
dear god i guess i missed that part, where in the hell did you get that meaning for theory?

i guess you dont have a dictionary...

SolRo
09-14-2007, 09:22 AM
dear god i guess i missed that part, where in the hell did you get that meaning for theory?

i guess you dont have a dictionary...

I'm pretty sure you've never taken a good science class either, where the difference between theory, hypothesis, and law is explained.

And it shows, it realy shows.

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 09:34 AM
lets see here

hypothesis:
A proposition, or set of propositions, set forth as an explanation for the occurence of some specified group of phenomena, either asserted merely as a provisional conjecture to guide investigation or accepted as highly provable in the light of established facts.

Theory:
A proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.

Law:
A phenomenon of nature that has been proven to invariable occer whenever certain conditions exist or are met.

Lets see here...yeah, thats a little off what you said.

so your really just going to keep making broad, vague statements that avoid an intelligent answer?'

Oh, almost forgot...

Bigot:
A person who is intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.'

Yeah, I thought so.

Diver Dan
09-14-2007, 09:35 AM
wikipedia?^^
no
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=A+proposition,+or+set+of+propositions,+s et+forth+as+an+explanation+for+the+occurence+of+so me+specified+group+of+phenomena,+either+asserted+m erely+as+a+provisional+conjecture+to+guide+investi gation+or+accepted+as+highly+provable+in+the+light +of+established+facts.&hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&oi=scholart

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 09:44 AM
nope, dictionary :)

SolRo
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Lets see here...yeah, thats a little off what you said.

so your really just going to keep making broad, vague statements that avoid an intelligent answer?'
From your posts, the only intelligent thing you believe would have "design" shortly afterward.

I tried using long and complicated intelligent answers, with links, to reply when these were civilized discussions...only to have the time wasted by replies that amounted to nothing but rhetoric or personal opinion...So now I just use a cudgel instead.

Oh, almost forgot...

Bigot:
A person who is intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.'

Yeah, I thought so.

Hey, I said it was a free country, you can be as ignorant as you want to be.

But if you want to start arguing with me, I'll respond.

You 'thought'...that's funny.

Diver Dan
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
HAHA that is funny! I am done for a while. goodnight sdreefs!

Two Bit Scooter
09-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Toss...

http://www.notjustatheory.com/

Duck and cover! :)

Techknowledgy
09-14-2007, 09:51 AM
BB. You are such a child, that my friend is neither theory or hypothesis, it is a fact. You are a teenager for crying out loud. .... and your last statement.....bigot.... .. it describes YOU.

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 10:08 AM
haha your so damn ignorant its funny.

i believe in evolution, i am not a biblethumper. you assume that because i think radical athiests make every non-beliver look stupid that im christian? hahaha

SolRo
09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Toss...

http://www.notjustatheory.com/

Duck and cover! :)

I see your link, and raise you this;

Study finds left-wing brain, right-wing brain
(http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-politics10sep10,0,5982337.story?coll=la-home-center)

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Based on the results, he said, liberals could be expected to more readily accept new social, scientific or religious ideas.

obviously not...

SolRo
09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
obviously not...

ie, being raised a christian and then becoming athiest.

You do a good job of distorting everything...you will make an excellent whitehouse press secretary one day.

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 10:39 AM
haha wow, i can tell you put alot of thought into that insult.

Two Bit Scooter
09-14-2007, 10:45 AM
"Does this mean liberals and conservatives are never going to agree?" Amodio asked. "Maybe it suggests one reason why they tend not to get along."

And of course, nobody likes those darn libertarians.

Techknowledgy
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
ii am not a biblethumper.

Bigoted statement. Bublethumper is on its face bigoted.

you assume

I don't assume anything. You would not understand this simply due to your lack of education, life experience and years on the planet.

i think radical athiests make every non-beliver look stupid? hahaha

Bigoted satement again.

Young man, you are not fit to shine the shoes of many of the people on this board.

Big Brother
09-14-2007, 11:16 AM
HAHAHA. dude your pathetic. i at least respect some of the things solro has to say but you are just rediculous

boalgf
09-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Jesse,
This assumes that people are having an argument. Each side has decided what they believe and they will not waiver from it. Discussions are a bit more complicated than that. In those, consenting, well informed adults, quietly and factually state their position. Some agree, some don't. Especially in places like sdreefs, if you do not want to participate in the discussion, it is not mandatory. Just get out the popcorn, read and laugh. I must in my heart believe that people are essentially good. That may be silly, or foolish, but it is better than the inverse, which is a sort of self-imposed paranoia.

I feel like you just lectured me. Are you an instructor by trade? :)

Arguments aren't always based on facts or held by people who care about another persons opinion. Besides, I didn't put the quotes up in an effort to stop anyone. It was my way of participating in the discussion.

And of course, nobody likes those darn libertarians.

Ron Paul for president!

Techknowledgy
09-14-2007, 07:36 PM
No lecture man. Yes, college prof, teacher for years, administrator etc. True, arguments need not be based on facts. Heck, just read this board and you will see that. You don't even need to be old enough to vote or have anything of value to say, or have regard for others experience or simple respect. Common decency is also optional.

nahtanoj
09-14-2007, 09:19 PM
so uhh, how 'bout that saltwater fire thingy, pretty cool huh.