PDA

View Full Version : Honest reply please....

SDguy
09-08-2007, 08:05 AM
So, if I PM someone that is selling something and tell them they are selling it for too much, is that rude? I mean, not like a frag or something, which is all relative/personal choice, but something without question as to its value.

In my head, I'm thinking that I would want someone to tell me if I was asking way too much for something so I don't sit on it for 2 months wondering why no one wants it. But now the more I think about it, I think it's none of my business I guess :o

Yolo
09-08-2007, 08:15 AM
themselves. Seller should do some research as to the going market rate. All of these comments about pricing or why are you selling, where did you get it, etc should be PM'd (and you did mention that, good)...

All sellers have their own reasoning as to what their prices are. Sometimes I'll price something higher than "SDCheaps" :) prices since I really want to keep it. If I want to sell it there are other avenues as well, ebay, CL, etc.

Most people on this board know you are trying to help, but some people, and most new people, don't.

SDguy
09-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured. :) Thanks.

Reef Papi
09-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I think if the person is a new member its probably cool as long as you word it in a constructive manner. I know that when I left the hobby in 2005 and came back this year, even I was surprised at the way the "sdcheaps" market was.

But if the person has like one thousand some-odd posts, is a sdreefs supporter, has a custom avatar, and has been on the forums since 2005 .. and he/shes still selling their items for too much, then they probably arent doing it out of naivete.

SDguy
09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Good point.

barometer
09-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I'd want to know Peter, and I think a PM is a good choice as not to open it up in the thread since they may have a reason for doing so. Having talked to you and seen MANY of your posts, I'm sure your PM was not attacking so there should be no problem. I agree with the others as well, research should be done by the seller and a veteran SDReef member knows how this place works. But constructive criticism shouldn't be feared. My $.02

BTW, too many times I think twice, post and then think I shouldn't have (PM or thread). Nature of the message board I think ;)

coral diver
09-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Pm is the way to let the person know something or your oppinion which i know you always put it in nice mature manner. For me that's is not insulting and i quote ' ME ' rather than putting it on the board which you know what will happen 'drama again'

SDguy
09-08-2007, 08:34 AM
BTW, too many times I think twice, post and then think I shouldn't have (PM or thread). Nature of the message board I think ;)

Yeah, I have to admit, I lurked on RC and SDreefs for a couple years I think, before posting regularly. Wanted to get a feel for things before putting my foot in my mouth too many times :)

rollinghead
09-08-2007, 08:55 AM
If I posted something too high, I would want people to tell me! In a PM of course. It would be my choice to lower the price or take the chance of not selling it for period of time P.S. If this is about the sunset? Not a chance! :D

SDguy
09-08-2007, 09:02 AM
If I posted something too high, I would want people to tell me! In a PM of course. It would be my choice to lower the price or take the chance of not selling it for period of time P.S. If this is about the sunset? Not a chance! :D

LOL, no, like I said, frags prices are up to the seller. I would never question that. :)

DaveMorris
09-08-2007, 01:07 PM
"LOL, no, like I said, frags prices are up to the seller. I would never question that. :)"

I will. Tim I want you to sell me a sunset for $10 and it has to be at least 2" and already encrusting.:D

Jas0863
09-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Dave, Tim said,"yes, he'll it to you for $10 since that you're such a nice guy". Oh, I forgot to mention, it's per polyp.

SDguy
09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, it's per polyp.

I didn't know you started working for Atlantis up north :p

swissfish
09-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I woulden't tell them unless I knw the person. If it doesen't sell he will lower the price and if it sells at the high price he was lucky

iwantone
09-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I have someone cheap kenyan tree frags for 30 bucks if anyone is interested.

treylane
09-08-2007, 09:36 PM
If you want to make a lower offer, fine, that's anybody's option.

But NO *****ing about the price being too high if you're not actually seriously interested in buying the item(s)

davocean
09-09-2007, 06:09 AM
You're mearly voicing your opinion, and in a polite way, I see no prob.
I see people on craiglist overpricing stuff all the time, and once someone was selling something used for much more than new price.
I sent a message, and they actually said thanks, and what was a good price.
I see no prob w/ looking out for fellow reefers.

SDguy
09-09-2007, 06:33 AM
I agree 100%...but if you read my original post, this really isn't in the vein of what I was talking about.

If you want to make a lower offer, fine, that's anybody's option.

But NO *****ing about the price being too high if you're not actually seriously interested in buying the item(s)

rudy
09-09-2007, 06:52 AM
If the person was cool about it, I wouldn't mind getting a PM saying that my stuff was priced too high.
I hate seeing these posts where someone calls out someone elses prices as too high or It can be found at www.here for $X.
HTH

Chanas4
09-09-2007, 06:53 AM
I once PM'd someone who was tryng to trade a certain item for frags. The transaction would have been illegal and I wasnt interested in trading anything, but I felt compelled to PM him and let him know the potential problem with his proposal. I guess I could have come off as a butthead, but he thanked me, said he didnt realize it could pose such a problem and yanked his thread. So I think if you see something that is way off base price wise and you want to help them out, its okay as long as you phrase it nice enough.

BigAir
09-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Diplomacy is everything when letting someone know they are way out of the ballpark on the price.

SDguy
09-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Diplomacy is everything when letting someone know they are way out of the ballpark on the price.

I think this really does sum it up, along with non-public, PM'ing :D