PDA

View Full Version : Any guitar players here ?

pk-sd
08-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I have never played guitar in my life but would like to buy and learn to play an acoustic guitar. Any advise will be appreciated (What to buy, where to buy what size etc). Looking for a low budget start....Thanks.

vinny73
08-28-2007, 05:47 PM
If I , as a musician could direct you in the market of a very good quality guitar, buy a Taylor. Look them up on the web. You can see the history and the detail in what it takes to make a nice guitar. If you don't stick with it, you can get your money back. A good guitar makes a big difference in how it plays, how it sounds and how it makes you feel when you hear it! Not to mention, they're local. You could even go on a tour if they let you!

pk-sd
08-29-2007, 08:06 AM
If I , as a musician could direct you in the market of a very good quality guitar, buy a Taylor. Look them up on the web. You can see the history and the detail in what it takes to make a nice guitar. If you don't stick with it, you can get your money back. A good guitar makes a big difference in how it plays, how it sounds and how it makes you feel when you hear it! Not to mention, they're local. You could even go on a tour if they let you!

Checked out Taylor's website. Beautiful guitars indeed. Something to look forward to as my second guitar.

One question. Should I get a full size guitar or 3/4 size? I am not very tall (5'8").

FishBulb
08-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Definitely get a full size. Also what style of music are you looking to play. I play flamenco and classical. For cheap beginner nylon string guitars, I think it's quite hard to beat a yamaha. They have all ranges or instruments but even their cheaper guitars sounds good (relative to other cheap guitars). Anyways, I love playing and good luck. It's a lot of fun.
FB

barometer
08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
I'm not a guitarist (can play one) but am a drummer who's always with alot of guitarists. I ditto Vinny here, go with a Taylor. Local with great design and consistent sound. They're some of the brightest sounding acoustic guitars out there. Even their lower end models are very good. Also once you research and figure out which one you want there are TONS of them on CL all the time from guys who picked one up and never played it.

As far as size goes, gotta try them out. If you can comfortably hold and play a full size, go for it. You'll also notice a difference in the fretting which may matter to you if you have short fingers. HTH :)

vinny73
08-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Rather than answer a question that only you can answer, go to guitar center and see how they feel to you. A yamaha or a Martin are good choices. You can also get a feel for the resonance each makes. Different woods, different inlays, different neck thicknesses. All are going to factors of what you want. Go check em out. If you had the money to buy a crappy car, wouldn't you wanna test drive it? What's crap to me may be a dream to you! Good luck! Best times to go in, if you are shy about your playing, is first thing in the morning. Also, they have deals from time to time that will include a hardshell case, strap, and maybe even a stand. If its not on sale, wait cause it will!

barometer
08-29-2007, 08:39 AM
LOL, ditto again. Listen to Vinny, he knows what he's talking about :)

pk-sd
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Where are good guitar centers in San Diego, preferably North San Diego ? I think I will pay a visit. I like the idea of going early. Thanks all for advise !!!! :)

barometer
08-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Where are good guitar centers in San Diego, preferably North San Diego ? I think I will pay a visit. I like the idea of going early. Thanks all for advise !!!! :)

There are Guitar Centers (name of the store, guitarcenter.com) in La Mesa, San Marcos, and Murrieta. Take your time and don't let the salespeople harass you :)

upsdalwithatank
08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
speaking of which i am a bass player i just stopped touring the us with a band called of hearts and shadows... if anyone is interested in jamming pm me... ive been looking to start something new up since i got back