PDA

View Full Version : Something is going on in the Tank

Don Vito
10-14-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok I have a few stalks of Pom Pom Xenia that have been doing wonderful the last 6 months but all the sudden one started to shrink up and then two more followed it. They were a nice size ut all the sudden over night they became so small that they are about to rip off the rock. The stalks are separate from each other. So far I have a few more that are looking ok.
Water is fine. Fish are doing great. All my other corals are ok.

Is this something that Pom Pom Xenias do after time?
Let me know Thanks.

Don Vito

chilly05willy
10-14-2004, 08:15 PM
pom poms needs and delpetes iodine in the tank. Do you add any?

Bickmade
10-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Me and my girlfriend had the same problem, I noticed on my tank the temperature caused them to shrink up, after several days it was back to normal. My girlfriend I think had a water quality issues, but after a few weeks we added a new light and upgraded the tank and water changes. It doubled the size. Check it out www.xanga.com/joyg

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v321/joyg0115/tankjune04night_008_copy.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/joyg0115/Copyof100_1343.jpg

Originally posted by Don Vito
Ok I have a few stalks of Pom Pom Xenia that have been doing wonderful the last 6 months but all the sudden one started to shrink up and then two more followed it. They were a nice size ut all the sudden over night they became so small that they are about to rip off the rock. The stalks are separate from each other. So far I have a few more that are looking ok.
Water is fine. Fish are doing great. All my other corals are ok.

Is this something that Pom Pom Xenias do after time?
Let me know Thanks.

Don Vito

SDMike
10-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Hell, I'd love to have that problem! My Xenia are multiplying over the big-arse rock they're on. I'm not looking forward to trying to keep them off the rest of the rocks.

M

Don Vito
10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
I havent added any iodine. Only thing that I am adding is B- Ionic and then using Scripps water for changes. The water is sitting a little warm but nothing close to what it was during the summer. They are all starting to drop fast. Two are gone completly. They became so small that they were brushed off the rock. I gotta find out whats going on quick before my good stuff starts to die off. yikes!

SD619
10-15-2004, 03:37 PM
What type of changes did you make to your tank before this began to happen? Have you tested your phosphates lately? They may be a little too high for your xenia. The most likely cause of your problem is a change in your water quality such as high phosphates or low iodine.

jetor
10-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Don Vito
I havent added any iodine. Only thing that I am adding is B- Ionic and then using Scripps water for changes. The water is sitting a little warm but nothing close to what it was during the summer. They are all starting to drop fast. Two are gone completly. They became so small that they were brushed off the rock. I gotta find out whats going on quick before my good stuff starts to die off. yikes!

How warm is a little warm? Xenia colonies will crash if the water temp fluxes too much. If you are adding B-Ionic you should be ok for Iodine (be really careful if you do add any as you can overdose it easily) and I don't recommend adding it (AT least I never have). Check all you water params as well to see if anything is off.

JAsen

colindoug3
10-17-2004, 06:27 PM
i had a colony covering the top of a rock. i have two stocks left and they are shriveling. some due to my angel nipping, some more probably due to these temp fluctuations you guys mentioned. time to dip the heater back in the tank i think.

edit: eek, tank temp was 74. brr. i put the heater back in. what should i bump it up to?