PDA

View Full Version : Just Venting

little2fishy
08-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Since i don't know who else to vent my frustration to, i figured here is as best a place as any.

So last week i was on vacation to northern california. Since i was going to be gone for a week and not having an ATO for my 12 gallon i asked if my roommate would mind topping off for me. I had filled water bottles sitting next to the tank for him to use as well as extra just incase. He agreed to top off once i was gone.

I got back a week later and the water was more than a quarter of the way gone, not a single bottle of water was even touched and half my corals are gone and whatever is left is bleached beyond recognition. I knew the livestock would be ok for a week without feeding, hence i didn't ask him to feed, but thank goodness they were alrite through the high salinity. Though if the pump had not lost its suction on the glass and dropped to the bottom of the tank allowing for some water movement i don't think they would have made it either since the water level was well below where the pump was originally.

Now i know that since the tank is mine, it is my responsiblity and my roommate isn't to blame, but i can't help feeling a little frustrated, especially at what was lost. my neon green toadstool leather :( my hammer and frogspawn (my clown no longer have a home). my toxic green zoa garden. seahorseman's micromussa and the macro algaes that i got from him, and omg my huge xenia forest. everything had melted away when i got back. so heartwrenching.

i just wished if he had topped off even once like around the middle of the week everything would have been alrite. I even reminded him halfway through the week just in case. only to find out nobody even touched any of the water bottles when i got back home.

ok, i feel a little better now :) i knew you guys would understand.

now i'm back hounding the threads for some replacements.

mazilla
08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
i would just accidently drop some dye in the washing machine, it's your roomates responsability to ensure the security of their laundry...

Diver Dan
08-26-2007, 05:14 PM
That sucks! Everytime i go on vacation i have someone i know and trust take care of my tank. But sometimes people flake!:( I have almost everything you lost frogspawn hammer zoos macro algae and the xenia. I will let it go pretty cheap.

I have a huge fiji leather that has split into 4 that i can frag for you.

PM me if you are interested.

Sorry to hear about that.

SDguy
08-26-2007, 05:16 PM
i would just accidently drop some dye in the washing machine, it's your roomates responsability to ensure the security of their laundry...

LOL...nice one!

So what happened? Was your roommate not home the entire time? I don't get why he wouldn't do something that takes 10 seconds, and he doesn't even have to travel anywhere to do it. Do you and your roommate not get along?

malachai629
08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Replace his mouthwash with battery acid

FishBulb
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Sorry to hear that man. The vast, vast majority of people are flakes. I would pretty much always prefer to rely on technology (an ATO) than a human. I would so much rather have a friend tell me, "No, i don't want to look after your tank. I don't know anything about them and don't want the responsibility", as opposed to "Sure, I'll take care of it" and then flake.
good luck man,
FB

Techknowledgy
08-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Bummer. Next time you go ask one of us. Happy to help. Just one visit while you were gone would have made a world of difference.

luistwentyone
08-26-2007, 06:44 PM
....... and my roommate isn't to blame...........

I disagree. he IS to blame. :mad:

snyder2050
08-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Man that really sucks!! I feel so bad for you. We have some Micro algea ( red bubble and cheato), Xenia, Frogspawn(single head that's splitting, and a few other misc. frags we'd be more then happy to PIF to you. PM us if your interested I know we're a bit far up here in Vista but the offer is there if you want.

CNCreefer
08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Roommates suck. Never trust a roommate with anything, no matter how simple it is. I used to live with roommates. One time I went to stay with my sister for a week and when I returned home, my cat was missing. Turns out the evil sadistic roommate killed it. Another time, with other roommates in another house, $600 in money orders came up missing. One of the roommates broke in while we were out camping.
I will NEVER live with roommates ever again. Too many problems come with roommates.
I have an extra ric. yuma if you're interested.

fishfinger
08-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Replace his mouthwash with battery acid

Coat the inside of his underwear with BEN-***,,,,,,,,

Redeye
08-27-2007, 06:18 AM
I left my bestfriend, whos a reefkeeper also, in charge, I get home, my skimmer compartment on my 40g is almost dry

Luckily, everything is used to being abused, and survived just fine with no skimming for afew days

malachai629
08-27-2007, 08:17 AM
One time I went to stay with my sister for a week and when I returned home, my cat was missing. Turns out the evil sadistic roommate killed it.

What???

How? And why???

Techknowledgy
08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Interesting, room mats are how I saved up enough money to buy my first house. It ALL depends on who they are. The evil sadistic basterd who killed my cat, even though I hate cats, would be on crutches. The guy who stole money woul have a call from the police.
There are as many GREAT stories about roomis as there are about bad ones. I once had my roomate drive all the eay to El Centro to retreive my dog that had been picked up by a passing truck drive while I was in Mexico. I didn't even have to ask him.

Sharc
08-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I know how ya feel =/

When I lived in Vegas, I went out of town for a week, had everything automated on my 20g and told my roommates they didnt even have to worry about it.

I come back to a very cloudy, very *dead* tank. Apparently my roommates decided that they needed the extra outlets when they had a party and decided to unplug my tank. On top of that, they didnt run the AC durring the day, only when they were home at night. So my tank sat in an appartment whose ambiet room temp was ~90. Moral of the story, roommates are ****s. Sorry for your loss, and I hope things work out for you in your situation.

CNCreefer
08-27-2007, 02:06 PM
One time I went to stay with my sister for a week and when I returned home, my cat was missing. Turns out the evil sadistic roommate killed it.

What???

How? And why???

Well I don't know how but I do know why. He was a tweaker freak. When the 1st roommate moved out cause roommate 2 was doing the meth crap, I was the only one holding a job and paying the bills while the POS was staying up all night working on motorcycles and blasting his stereo in the middle of the night.
One day, right after he killed my cat, I grabbed all my stuff and bailed. Next thing you know, he is homeless, lost his car, lost his sailboat, lost the Kenwood stereo system he was blasting all night, and ended up in jail for old warrants. I haven't seen the guy since. He used to be a good friend of mine, until he put the meth before his friends.
This was in 1994. I hear through the grapevine that he is still on that crap. Amazing if he's still alive.

Techknowledgy
08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
It is truly astonishing how that crap kills people's lives. It is even more sad that he is not alone. I hope he went somewhere to get help.

little2fishy
08-28-2007, 04:08 PM
thanks for all the comments. totally feel for you guys with roommate experiences as well. Can't believe somebody would let it go as far as to kill your cat Ron, almost makes u feel like his situation is deserving. not that i don't think he deserves a better life if he could clean up.

I also know that if i really wanted vengeance i could always count on Mazilla for an idea :) Which i just might do since the ******* haven't said a word nor apologized about it, and he knows he killed my corals too, he saw me pull out the coral skeletons and remove the rotten slime leftover from the sponge on my filter.

Also, thank you for your offers diver_dan and snyder2050. I will keep your offers in mind, but for now most of my tank funds were spent on the vacation, school (sdsu) is back in session, as well as i would like to let the tank sit for a bit to make sure everything is still stable before i put anything else in. It would just be that much more devastating losing any thing else due to a little impatience. But don't be surprise when you get a pm from me a couple of months down the line trying to make good on your offers ;-)

everybody have a great day!!!