PDA

View Full Version : Red Chili, Sponge or polyp?

elai
10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
hey y'all, is a red chilli a spong or a cluster of polyps. I know they have polyp extensions, or are they just feeder tentacles like the sea apple has. As well as, I had put it in high flow thinking that it would like it, then i read that they like low light and moderate flow. Is this true? does anyone have one and can give advice on how to take care of it?

Dannyboy
10-13-2004, 11:16 AM
I have one. I've had it for about 8 months and it has grown quite a bit. They prefer to be in the shade and mine only opens at night. It will like strong flow since they are usually found hanging from cave entrances or on reef slopes where they can filter feed constantly. I placed mine on the floor though and it does stand up when open and will accept any types of marine plankton. The best stuff I found is that "Liquid Life with cyclopeeze" as it is thicker. I have even fed it brine soaked in Kents Zoe formula but the Liquid Life is what I use to feed my whole tank anyways. The scientific name is Nephthyigorgia and I dont think it's a sponge but some people call it a Chili sponge. Hope that helps

elai
10-13-2004, 12:55 PM
thanx guys.... i've noticed my red chili bending down toward the shade when i had it higher in the water column. I have now put it on the floor next to an overhang. maybe it will like that shade and extend into it. thans for the info guy.... i feed my entire tank liquid like with frozen zooplankton as well, my fsh seem to love the zooplankton as well.

treylane
10-13-2004, 04:51 PM
They're not sponges, they're soft corals. Think of em kinda like a leather maybe, but treat them more like gorgonians - they need FOOD! They'll eat cyclopeeze, bits of mysis, bits of flake, whatever you'll give em. Their polyps seem a bit large for phyto-eating, but idunno.

bler
10-13-2004, 06:15 PM
yah, if they have polyps, they are corals ;)