PDA

View Full Version : Caterpillar in fresh water?

swcrazy
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Hi,

Okay I realize that this is a forum for salt water tanks and I have a fresh water tank, but you guys seem to know your stuff so I though maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

This morning I noticed that several of my plants had their leaves chewed through and when I looked at the leaves that were sucked into the filter, I saw a green caterpillar climbing on them. I've had fresh water tanks for 15 years and have never seen an underwater caterpillar. Any one had any experience with this? Should I take him out? Should I leave him be? How long can he live underwater?

I did a web search and didn't find anything useful. Thanks for the help.
-swcrazy

acbaldwin
08-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Got a picture? I'm curious.

Oh, and welcome to SDReefs. :)

seahorse_man
08-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Pic please

swcrazy
08-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Okay I tried to take some pics. This is the best I could get (my husband has never taught me how to use the camera).
20931 20932

seahorse_man
08-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Interesting,where did you get the plants?

swcrazy
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
The plant that he has been eating I've had for over 4 years. Though I did just get new plants about 2 weeks ago from Petsmart. Sorry but I don't know plant names. I got new fish then also, but they all died with in a week, so last weekend I got 4 new fish from Tropical Reefs in Anaheim and as of today only 1 has died.

The fish I got from Petsmart all had ick. I tried medicating the tank but they were too far gone. I got my money back from them for the fish and used the refund to buy the 4 new ones from Tropical Reefs. All guppies. I haven't had a guppy tank in a while and my husband has never had fish that reproduced so I thought this would be fun. I just didn't expect the caterpillar.

seahorse_man
08-16-2007, 01:30 PM
I think the caterpillar came from the plants from petsmart because they get their plants from a low quality dealer who gets them shipped straight from Malaysia and Singapore and they come in with different pest from there.

The little stores(not the chain stores like petco,petsmart,etc.)get theirs from wholesalers that grow them there selves in a outdoor greenhouse.

acbaldwin
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Almost all of the best plants come from Singapore :). Or Denmark, if you can get through customs!

EDIT: I do agree, though. People seem to get these a lot with Anarchis shipments from Petsmart.

SDguy
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Didn't know there were such things, but sure enough, a google search of "aquatic caterpillar" says otherwise. Very cool.