PDA

View Full Version : reef tanks ruin vacations...

SolRo
08-15-2007, 07:50 AM
sitting at the airport right now, sweating bullets over my 12 gallon nano with no auto top-off and no one checking on it for 5 days. :eek:

Gradualy lowered the salinity to like .21 before leaving, hope that's enough

Techknowledgy
08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Dude...... all you had to do was ask and I would baby sit your tank while you are away. We are all in this together.
Roland

fishfinger
08-15-2007, 08:22 AM
The worst part of having a reef "BABY" is having to go some where and leaving it alone on in the hands of a person that does not understand it. Scary. Lucky for me my brother can baby sit mine.

SDguy
08-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Why on earth would you have no one check on it for 5 days? In this weather?

SequoiaSunset
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
I love my 24 gal JBJ nano because it only needs to be topped off about once every 2 weeks! It is amazing how much water that thing conserves.

My reef tanks are my most stressful part of every trip more that 2 days.

I feel for you!!! Statistically, your tank is probably fine though... I always clean and double check all my equipment, pumps, and plugs before going on a long trip because a power head going out led to disaster last Christmas on my 12gal nano... Talk about discouraging....anyway... most likely everything in the tank will be okay....

SequoiaSunset
08-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Why on earth would you have no one check on it for 5 days? In this weather?

Come on, cut 'em some slack. Not everyone has been doing this for as long as you and might not have the good reefing buddies that you do. You are a lucky guy. I wish I had a couple of people I could count on to look in on things who understand reefs...

I know what you are going through, SolRo. Hang in there.

Therapy
08-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Slurpshark is watching my reef tank and dog while we are on vacation. I trust him, and especially in this heat would not leave my "family" members unattended.
Wish you luck , hope all is well!!

kjsreef
08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
this is why I have an aquacontroller hooked up to aquanotes. If anything goes wrong with the tank conditions, it sends a text message to my cell phone and then I could call on a buddy or two to go investigate. I can also check on the tank remotely just to have peace of mind. Trust me the aquacontoller jr is worth every dollar.

mazilla
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
you dont even need somebody who is a reef pro. i let my buddy feed eod and leave a nice 5 gallon jug of fresh for him to tp off to the point i showed him. i just portion however many feedings he will need in seperate plastic cups in the freezer. he has also been instructed to check the big digi thermometer and if/when the temp gets above 84 he is to leave the ac on.

SDguy
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Come on, cut 'em some slack. Not everyone has been doing this for as long as you and might not have the good reefing buddies that you do. You are a lucky guy. I wish I had a couple of people I could count on to look in on things who understand reefs...

I know what you are going through, SolRo. Hang in there.

I wasn't chastising him...it's an honest question. Just someone to make sure power is on, etc....no reef experience needed. I'm not lucky...I just have a neighbor :)

Techknowledgy
08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I travel at least three days every week. Some of these are three day trip out of town. My wife WILL NOT touch my tank, so I have made it pretty self sufficient. Top off water for 5 days, and auto feeder for flakes in small portions twice daily. For now.... all is good. Maybe we should create a buddy system so that SolRo's situation does not lead to disaster for others.... and we can enjoy our private Tonga Island Diving Adventures in peace. (I wish....)

swissfish
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Slurpshark is watching my reef tank and dog while we are on vacation. I trust him, and especially in this heat would not leave my "family" members unattended.
Wish you luck , hope all is well!!

Slurpeshark is great. He is watching my tank too while i am away.

Solro, all you have to do, is getting your neighbour to set up a reef tank and you guys can watch each other tanks.

slurpeshark
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Slurpeshark is great. He is watching my tank too while i am away.

Thanks Bruno

Solro, all you have to do, is getting your neighbour to set up a reef tank and you guys can watch each other tanks.

Speaking of that... Bruno... Next weekend when Im in Vegas, Im gonna need you to keep an eye on my tank :D

swissfish
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
no problem ;)

SolRo
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I got back, only lost one coral, and it was a sickly one I got from one of the meetings anyhow.

vacation pics :D

crappy room
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/Gonodil/IMG_4941.jpg

crappy view
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/Gonodil/IMG_4923.jpg

crappy fishing
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/Gonodil/IMG_4834.jpg

h20poloman
08-20-2007, 10:30 PM
nice Stan...where was that?

Nick_Kun
08-20-2007, 10:37 PM
good catch.

Mr.Chewbacca
08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
crappy? nice veiw and look at that gash on the fish damn OUCH!

SolRo
08-21-2007, 03:13 PM
nice Stan...where was that?

cabo :)

Jessy
08-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Stan! I live freakin next door to you! I'd have watched your tank! Dude you were the top of my list to call in an emergency :) Guess I should tell you that before I actually call you on that huh??? No really, ANYTIME! Just tell me and I'll keep watch.

acbaldwin
08-21-2007, 03:38 PM
cabo :)

Just go away. Leave this thread now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

;)