PDA

View Full Version : 40g F/O

bler
10-11-2004, 03:27 PM
well, I'm starting to plan my 40g f/o tank..

and man, its been a while since I did fo.. do I do reef-style filtration (LR, empty/fuge HOB's) or do a F/O style hob's with the filter media ?

and not like I'm undecided on what to put in, but just wondering what other people would put into a 40 F/O...

triggerSD
10-11-2004, 04:36 PM
dont do it man...

you will regret it. waste of time imo

bler
10-11-2004, 04:53 PM
waste of time, how so ? because its not a reef ?

I dont want to spend $500+ to setup a reef, and I'd like a tank with a pair or single fish in it.. I already have a 10G nano..

i'm planning on spending like $60+ for fish and like $80 on filter equiptment (and using some stuff I already have)

some people would say its quite a waste of time AND money for reefs ! I really didnt ask this question to have people tell me its a bad idea or try to shoot me down, but thanks for the help !!

osidefish
10-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Do it and go aggressive!

MFR
10-11-2004, 08:09 PM
really depends on the fish you will keep. Obvioulsy hardy fish can get by w/ a mechanical filter (Emperor, Aquaclear, wet/dry) w/ media as they are not so sensitive to Nitrates. Nitrates will be what you wil need to watch & not so much slainity, silicate, phospahtes etc. as yo would w/ a reef. With that being said a little live rock is always beneficial. If you can hook up a skimmer thatis always useful as well otherwise be prepared to be diligent on water changes.

If you keep sensitive fish more reef-type stuff may be in order. Can't go wrong w/ a lion or trigger or a bunch of damsels.

Best,

MFR

MFR
10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
I meant it to be an example of hardiness.LOL:D

REEFWAVE
10-11-2004, 09:07 PM
when i did FO i had great success with fluidized beds. never had detectable nitrates for as long as the tank was set-up. i would think your best bet would be to use lace rock with maybe a few pounds of LR.

i to would think an aggressive tank is the way to go. personally i would not do one in such a small set-up, but for a species tank it could be pretty cool. possibly a dwarf lion fish tank.
if i were doing a fish only, i would want somthing that could house some of my favorites like a harliquin tuskfish, a puffer (possibly a map, devil or stars and stripes puffer), a trigger, and possibly an angel.

good luck with the tank...

bler
10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
nah, I'm definatley getting _A_ fish, or a pair if I can. of fish that will not outgrow the tank .. definatley a specie tank

I was thinking maybe a dwarf lion, maybe even do a pair of clowns.. just getting an idea for what other people might house.. I know its nothing super special, but it could house a nice pair of some cool smaller fish

speak of the devil, I DO have a FBF somewhere, for up to 900Gallon tanks, its huge, I'm sure it'll do the job for a FO..

MFR
10-11-2004, 09:56 PM
my vote is for a pair of Blue Spot jawfish & build around that !!

MFR:D

TommyD
10-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Cow fish or Box fish!!

I think they're sooo cool looking.

triggerSD
10-12-2004, 11:41 AM
why dont you buy my fo setup? It might save you some money. I wasnt trying to be a **** in my post. I have just found fo tanks a pain in the rear.