PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV

aquacultureCS
08-09-2007, 08:47 PM
We are fed up with our cable company...Time Warner sucks! What is the deal with DirectTV? Anyone have any input, good or bad on the process and the service? We will probably have to switch to DSL too since we've been using the high speed cable.

Thanks!

j_electric
08-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I hated it it when I lived in c-bad its bs , a few friends have and they seem to enjoy it , i think they offer a high speed internet to cant be sure

barometer
08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Time Warner sucks, I agree. I actually hate the *******s, but have been stuck with them. But DirecTv will not be better. If you're already used to a high speed cable connection, the internet will not be as good. If you have HD, the quality will not be as good as a cable HD connection. The NFL package is all that's worth it on DirecTv, which I have without subscribing to any of their other services. Cox Cable is the best, had them for 13 years without an issue on TV, phone or internet. I cant' stand that we have no cable choices and they claim that keeping it one per area is to prevent a monopoly...what a load of BS.

OK, sorry. Rant over. But IMO keep your cable.

aquacultureCS
08-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks J....I can't believe how many times they have tried to screw us out of our money! We thought cox was bad before and were happy with Adelphia, and then damn time warner came in. Nothing but problems with the billing and online payments.

Definitely looking at DirectTv with the NFL Sunday ticket too!

j_electric
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
I was there when it changed from adelpia too, I just moved to get better cable service

aquacultureCS
08-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Don't have HD so no big deal there. I've heard the DSL can be pretty good, a little slower than what we are used to probably, but we'll be looking into both of them here real soon.

aquacultureCS
08-09-2007, 09:09 PM
I was there when it changed from adelpia too, I just moved to get better cable service

Ha ha! If we didn't have such a cool deal where we are at in carlsbad, we'd probably move too! It's so ridiculous that people have to move to get decent cable!

barometer
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear you didn't have good luck with Cox cable. I've never lived where there was Adelphia, but I hear it's good. Again, why do they stick us with no choices? :mad:

If you're a football fan, you'll be stoked on the NFL package. I've had it since it's offering and it rocks. And with no HD worries, the rest of their programming is pretty standard. Good Luck whatever you decide :)

mattstr
08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
The TV part of the DTV service is fine...but the "high speed" internet is a joke. Before I moved, I had DTV...the internet service was almost worthless in my opinion. It's acceptable for basic, occassional browsing. But if you ever need or want to download larger files, or VPN into the office, or that kind of thing, good luck. VPN never did work right for me, and they "throttle" your downloads/bandwidth. You can only download up to 200mb a day if I recall (something approximately close to that amount, anyway)...if you hit the limit, they throttle you way down, and it's unusable for one to two days.

I'm on Time Warner now...and it's had a few issues, but I'm 500% happier with the internet service. Just some things to keep in mind.

-Matt

paralabrax
08-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I just got att uverse cable and internet..it rocks fiberoptic wireless internet the tv is run threw fiber optic lines no more cable or dishes.

it rocks

DaveMorris
08-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I have Cox and it is fiber on the pole outside so quality is great. No complaints here. I do think it sucks, though not having a choice. I tried DirecTV and never could get a decent signal. They tried several times.

mazilla
08-10-2007, 07:00 AM
my direct tv is great. as long as your dish has a CLEAR view of the sky you should be fine.

swissfish
08-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I just changed some stuff around on my cox account. I used to pay $135 a month and now i pay $115 for the package.
Main thing is to switch to the $15 dollar a month internet. they claim it is slow but it really isen't. I diden't notice any difference.
You can also minimize your digital package wich will eliminate soem of the chanels in the 100+ range.

Long storry short. i safe 20 Bucks a month and don't notice any difference:)

aquacultureCS
08-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. We are looking into if we can get the clear view of the sky and if we can, then I think we are going to go with Directv. We will probably at least switch to DSL anyways and cut some of our costs with time warner, because they are screwing us.

When we had cox, my husband went to their office and said he wanted to pay less and get more channels, and they worked something out, so that was a good thing about them. They aren't nearly as bad as time warner.

Christine