PDA

View Full Version : I need to Cry and Vent

convict
08-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Today has not been that good of a day for me as far as the tank goes. Things started out ok, but then quickly within an hour I had killed 1 fish and Broke my huge pink on pink 40 head frogspawn.

The first instance happened when I noticed that one of my powerheads had sucked in some of my soft colt coral and now it was intangled in the guard. I proceeded to remove the guard while I moved the powerhead and commenced to cutting the leather out of the grates on the guard. When I was finished removing all of the remants of that arm, I noticed the powerhead was not working. When I picked it up, hanging from the bottom was one of my blennies. He had been sucked inside and the impeller had almost completely decapitated him. I felt horrible, but then I took him and fed him to my carpet anem, so free lunch for the big guy.

The next instance happened when I decided to frag off two heads of the frogspawn. I searched for about 45 minutes to find my dremel, finally found it and went to remove the frogspawn from the tank so I could do some cutting. While I was removing it out of the tank, I did not have a firm grip like I should have and I dropped it about 2 feet into my bucket next to my feet. Now my frogspawn is in about 7 pieces, most with 2 heads each, but one still had 7 heads and even more mouths attacted. I even thought about trying to glue it all back together, but that might take awhile. There is an empty hole in my tank where the beautiful pink and pink bush used to be and I know that it is no fault but my own.

I guess now I wont feel bad about selling some pieces. No I am not taking offers just yet. I need to mourn for a bit. Thanks for listening.

MichaelRyanSD
08-06-2007, 12:40 PM
adapt and overcome Marine

convict
08-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh I adapted. Now I have small frags all over the place. It just sucks because that was my center piece. I think I might breakout the superglue. Just not today. I have been instructed by the CO of the household that I need to keep my hands out of the tank for the rest of the day. Maybe tomorrow I will have it glued back together.

Tinky
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Bummer!!!

convict
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Hey Tinky, make sure you talk to MichaelRyan. He thinks he is going to be an f/18 backseater next year after OCS. :D

Fishaholic
08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
dude that sucks!!! I would just sell all the frags and buy another large piece:D

-Jerehmy

BTW I am also a saltwater addict hence the name FISHAHOLIC :D

hockyfn30
08-06-2007, 12:54 PM
sorry to hear that. Now you got lemons, make some lemonade

acbaldwin
08-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Ouch... I feel for ya man. I hope it wasn't that scooter blenny!

Well, as far as the frogspawn goes, now you've got 7x as many!

On a serious note, good luck getting the frogspawn back together.

convict
08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I am not even sure I will try. I would be afraid of superglue overkill in the tank. Anyone tried a project this large with superglue?

Fishaholic
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
you are better off using as little as possible, I have used up to 3 tubes in 1 day in my 40g without any ill affects.

what about that epoxy stick?

convict
08-06-2007, 01:02 PM
I havent tried that. Which one do you recomend?

Fishaholic
08-06-2007, 01:07 PM
they have many different brands, I like to use the grey color.

You can buy it at HD or Lowes but any LFS should have some.

LMK I could have some for you tomorrow if you want

this stuff
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/itemdetail.asp?itemid=SA-TLAS3B

convict
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Cool. That sounds good. When I bring those Wrasses over, I will check it out. GOt anything to glue the head back on my blenny.

convict
08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey Andrew It wasnt the scooter. It was actually the midas blenny that I was trying to sell for a friend.

acbaldwin
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey Andrew It wasnt the scooter. It was actually the midas blenny that I was trying to sell for a friend.

Oh... Good!

Well, not good, but y'know...:rolleyes:
I'm interested in seeing the results of your frogspawn project, assuming you go through with it.

seahorse_man
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Use glue,putty sucks

barometer
08-06-2007, 01:50 PM
So sorry to hear about your troubles. But now you can concentrate on a new center piece, right?

convict
08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
My wallet will think about a new center piece! Anyone have a good one in mind?

Redeye
08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Large monti cap
Love my big orange one

Techknowledgy
08-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your horrible no good awful bad day Blaine.I stick my arm in my tank twice a week to clean it. That's it. JNo good ever comes from the hand of GOD in the water.........
Colts are good..... and grow VERY fast as a center piece. I bought one here a month and a half ago..... and it it three times the size it was before.........
Monti good too.... but slower.... I think.
Semper fi.

BigAir
08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Man, that sucks Blaine. Atleast you have a big enough tank to find another big center piece, and the frags to pay for most of it.

MichaelRyanSD
08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
alright alright...this thread is getting off topic here...could we please get back on the subject matter...that is...me and how great I am

Techknowledgy
08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Sorry Mike......... let's just start a "Won't it be cool when Mike is a fighter pilot with lots of chicks and I knew him way back when he was just another drunk guy at State?" thread? :)

convict
08-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Don't let him fool you. He is going to be an overpaid passenger :D

acbaldwin
08-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Ha ha I like the new signature!

Techknowledgy
08-06-2007, 03:36 PM
On airships they call it ballast.

MichaelRyanSD
08-06-2007, 03:47 PM
thats better....

convict
08-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I call all Marine pilots/aircrew airships. They are just full of hotair.

Techknowledgy
08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
You must feel better now Blaine. Here is a pic of the carpet in its new home. You really can't see the clown because she is so dark. Has it always been this white? It seems to be healthy and is eating shrimp just fine. The clown bites my hand every chance she gets when I get too close.
Pic at the bottom is my basement sump etc.....

convict
08-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Well It Was White For Awhile Then It Cleared Up To A Nice Light Green/ Faded Yellow. Just Double Check All Your Water Parameters, But As Long As It Is Eating Good And Does Not Look Stressed, It Will Do Fine.

MichaelRyanSD
08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
ahem......off topic here again...

convict
08-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I think I will change my signature again...

convict
08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Back on subject, I just wanted to thank all of you for your inputs. Especially MichaelRyan. Nothing like some good poking-fun to bring a smile back on your face. Especially when in a year he will outrank me (in title only)

Jessy
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh that sucks the big one! :( What's your opinion on the best blenny to have? Which one did you like the best?

convict
08-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Lawnmower is good for taking care of overgrown algae. The Midas is pretty cool. Horseface is another good one. each has its own personality. What were you thinking of?

Jessy
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't need a lawnmower..don't have algae (knock on wood), I'd like a more colorful fish that swims around... Don't necessarily want one that hides in rocks all day...is it true the midas change color? What makse the horseface good?

convict
08-06-2007, 04:43 PM
yes the Midas will change colors just like a lot of other fish depending on its mood. They are all peaceful fish and each one has its own personality. All the blennies that I have seen love lots of rockwork and tend to perch rather than swim around a lot. When it is feeding time, they will come out and swim all over the place getting as much food as possible. The Midas is definitely the more colorful choice.