PDA

View Full Version : Thought up a design that's patentable, i think.

SolRo
08-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Modular LED lighting, it would run off a high amp power supply, but the LED modules would be run in parallel, so it would be possible just to shut off the power and add or remove extra LED units.

Each LED unit has its own fan and is completely enclosed.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b259/Gonodil/66744c9a.jpg

scubajay
08-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey, pretty cool idea Solro, I like the creativity. Got a question for you though. Given the high power LEDs required for these projects and thier *relatively high biasing voltage, aren't you worried about your cutting the lumens output in half by having them run in parallel. I suppose you could use an even more *Extreme LED, one with something around 300-400 lm. Don't get me wrong, this is certainly a good idea. Modular swapping has become more and more common in electronics. So for applications where "light intensity" isn't such a factor, and given the LEDs would basically become very easily swapped modulars, this idea is awesome.
Hmm.. I suppose you could run two strands of LEDs beside each other and then offset your frequencies so that as one was coming out of bias the other was coming in. But then you'd still have to double-up your LEDs to get your 100% intensity.
Well your a smart guy SolRo, perhaps if you did pattent this and sold the rights you would have enough money to buy your own LED fixtures and leave the rest of us drooling in awe. Like I said, pretty cool ideas, keep 'em coming.

SolRo
08-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Well, it's more complicated than just running them in paralel or series, I have to find/design a DC/DC power converter that would convert the voltage on the rails (im going with 12v/5v computer power supplies, as they are cheap, reliable, and come in high wattages.) and would either lower it to 3.72v for running LEDs in parallel, or boost it to about 26v to run them in series.

And make sure that the converter is small enough to fit into each LED module. :eek:

Or were you thinking I'd run them off of AC?

DaChrisDude
08-04-2007, 09:05 AM
So...the little box/cube thing is the bulbs and fan, and you simply slide those into the longer tube? (the top pic) very cool....

SolRo
08-04-2007, 09:09 AM
yeah, that's the idea

MichaelRyanSD
08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
thx for the idea...I just sent it in the patent office about an hour ago

SolRo
08-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Actualy, patent law will side with the person that puts his ideas into public domain first, so =p

scubajay
08-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Ah,... from the looks of your design yes I was assuming you would be running them in AC. I didn't figure you were planning to fit a DC step down regulator, fan, and LED all into one small compact unit... At least not at the DIY level. That would most definitely be a feat!...
Then again perhaps I'm still missing something about your design, or you have an ass up your sleeve.. lol. Either way it's still a very cool idea SolRo. I like the way you think..

scubajay
08-04-2007, 11:06 AM
LOL!... crap, I typed "ass up your sleeve" , I totally meant >*Ace up your sleeve. I'm pretty handicapped when it comes to the english language. I rely on spell check for everything!... Sorry man, my bad.

DaveMorris
08-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Voltage would not be effected by running them in parrallel. Stan, I think you could find someone that makes exactly what you are looking for with a little research. My dad does that sort of thing all the time. Why re-invent something if you can find someone else who has already done it? If you can't find it, then you start trying to make it on your own. I would think in this day of electronics, someone has to be able to produce the power supply that you would need.

lucubrator
08-04-2007, 03:06 PM
What are the advantages of this over a regular LED fixture? You can choose how many lights are in it?

SolRo
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
What are the advantages of this over a regular LED fixture? You can choose how many lights are in it?

Basicly, yeah...if you want a lot of light, you fill it up, if you dont...you use it half or a third full...saves money that way.

Also, a lot of people have been having concerns about replacing LEDs if one burns out, so this kinda hits two birds with one stone.

acbaldwin
08-04-2007, 07:19 PM
LOL!... crap, I typed "ass up your sleeve" , I totally meant >*Ace up your sleeve. I'm pretty handicapped when it comes to the english language. I rely on spell check for everything!... Sorry man, my bad.

lol, good stuff. :D

SanDiegoIllini
08-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Basicly, yeah...if you want a lot of light, you fill it up, if you dont...you use it half or a third full...saves money that way.
I would think that would also help reduce manufacturing costs. You could produce the rails in a few stock lengths, and trim them easily to fit custom orders. Also save on different light levels.

Also, a lot of people have been having concerns about replacing LEDs if one burns out, so this kinda hits two birds with one stone.
So, there's just one little LED bulb per cube? Maybe I'm missing something...

loose-electron
08-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Patent on this might get issued, but it will never stand up in challenge. I would not waste my time or money on patent protection here.

Oh, and yeah, I do electronics, and a good amount of my time deals with IP law. Too many prior art examples and too many ways to walk around what yiu have there.