PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading soon help

obarrera
10-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank and im upgrading to a 40 gallon tank soon.I want to know,if I use scripps water would my 40 gallon tank have to cycle,or can I just trasfer my live stock from the 10 to the 40?
Thanks in advance

brahm
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
cycling has nothing to do with the water, it has to do with live rock. If you get more Un-cured live rock yes.. If not no.

MrKrispy
10-08-2004, 04:02 PM
If you can get the 40 early and get the live rock, just cycle it in there and add your 10g stuff when the cycle is completed.

obarrera
10-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Im probably just gonna buy cured live rock.

brahm
10-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by obarrera
Im probably just gonna buy cured live rock.

well then your good to go.

AFxPolo
10-08-2004, 04:58 PM
So you can just transfer live rock from an established tank to a new one and have it be "cycled" so to speak and ready to add corals/fish etc?

brahm
10-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by AFxPolo
So you can just transfer live rock from an established tank to a new one and have it be "cycled" so to speak and ready to add corals/fish etc?

yes. Cycling in it's most basic sense is just letting all the crap off your live rock that is dead or dying dissovle once the live rock is cured.. you can just drop it in a tank and go..But, you went get amonia spikes, ect.. because you don't have the decay. you also won't get the benifits of letting all your pods breed and grow before you add the predetors though. I have done this many time.. I've taken rock at out my fuge or sump and started a new tank... the holding stands I have with all my live stock, consist of live rock I got from David M. I already had alot of corals in the tanks I just took em out adding the live rock and dropped em back in.. Algie went away with in a week.

But rember if you take your rock out of water for a while and stuff starts dying off you will need to recylce.

MrKrispy
10-08-2004, 06:38 PM
cured rock from vendors typically still needs to be cured. If it is from someone's tank it should be fine. If you get cured rock from a vendor I wouldn't combine them, check after a week to see what the readings are.

brahm
10-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
cured rock from vendors typically still needs to be cured. If it is from someone's tank it should be fine. If you get cured rock from a vendor I wouldn't combine them, check after a week to see what the readings are.

I've dropped in rock from rons.. Sometimes when I know he hasn't been to LA for 2 weeks or gotten rock in a while, and most stores have cured live rock floating around there displays.

MrKrispy
10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I got cured rock from Ron also, took about 3 weeks to cycle, and I got some bonus aiptasia, lol

brahm
10-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by MrKrispy
I got cured rock from Ron also, took about 3 weeks to cycle, and I got some bonus aiptasia, lol

aiptisia is a great beginer coral ;) (invert)

pk-sd
10-10-2004, 08:08 AM
Have you looked into this place:

http://www.tbsaltwater.com

I will be converting my 55g from FW to Reef after christmas holidays. This is where I will be getting my live rock from.

Check out his testmonials page:

http://www.tbsaltwater.com/testimonials.html

MrKrispy
10-10-2004, 10:15 AM
checkout TBS rock on nano-reef and RC. Not so glowing reviews.....and the stuff is really heavy.

JeromeBaker
10-10-2004, 10:53 AM
From what I have read regarding the "TBS" rock it is very dense and not very porous, resulting in a rock that is not "Ideal".

No "Live" rock from any of these vendors is 100% cured so you can be sure there will always be "die-off" resulting in some sort of spike in params or a mini cycle. When starting a new tank the majority of the "live" organisms(which make the rock live) will die off during the cycle anyhow. "Live" rock is always the best avenue to go when adding to an already established tank but when starting at square one, not the smartest thing to do.

From what I have read the best thing to do when starting a new tank is buy "Base" or "Dead" rock and then seed it with a couple pieces from an established tank. This way you save tons of money, reduce the possibility of unwanted creatures like mantis, and before you know it all of the rock will be live anyway and you'll have more money to buy me corals for helping you;). From here on out I will not do it any other way. Here's a couple links. Good luck.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429539&highlight=base+rock

http://www.hirocks.com/

brahm
10-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Trickman2
Just looked up where that Hi Rocks place is located its in ontario California. Mapquest say 1:30 minutes wonder if you could get a better deal if you picked up the rock.

if you guys want dead rock, I can get pretty cheap, like a 1.25-1.50 a pound.

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Sweet what type Brahm Good Stuff? What about live rock?

brahm
10-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Sweet what type Brahm Good Stuff? What about live rock?

There are a bunch of diffrent kinds i'm not sure exactly they have like 4 big bins to choose from..

as far as live

I have 88 pounds tong Kealine rock (which isn't branching) it's really nice stuff, that is starting at 4.50 a pound and dropping to 3.50 a pound based on how much you buy.

and I can get Fiji Premium for 135 a box so. thats.. 3.00 a pound

JeromeBaker
10-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Lol we should buy 1000 pounds from Hi Rocks. Anyone need some rock for a dollar a pound lol.

Its less than that. It's $1,000 for 1 ton(2,000 pounds) so in all actuality it would break down to 50cents a pound. That is a bargain.

obarrera
10-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Haha what happen to my thread.

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Maybe we can get some peeps together who want a lot, I would take 100 pounds if someone wanted to get together on a order like that. 50 dollars worth, Who else.... we need 20 people who want 50 dollars worth? Locally of course. 100 pounds of rock for 50 bucks with shipping is dirt cheap.

JeromeBaker
10-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm in for 100 pounds.

and since this is oberrara's thread I think he should organize the buy;)

obarrera
10-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Are you guys talking about live or dead rock?

JeromeBaker
10-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I prefer to refer to it as "not yet live" rock.

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
http://www.hirocks.com/Our_Products.html

1 Ton for 1000 dollars including shipping :)

obarrera
10-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Damn I wish it was live rock.

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 10:25 AM
You don't need to start off with live Rock, You just need a small amount to seed this rock is all. Eventually it all becomes live.

JeromeBaker
10-11-2004, 10:26 AM
the term "live" doesnt refer to the rock itself, it refers to life that occupies the rock as a home. You could throw a baseball glove in your tank and eventually it too will be come live.

obarrera
10-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Yes but what sucks is that it will take long to become live.
I would love to use it in a cichlid tank but not saltwater.(or mabey a fish only saltwater)

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 10:34 AM
What do you consider along time, Patients young Grasshopper

LOL

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Started a new thread for this, Lets see what happens

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2805

obarrera
10-11-2004, 11:09 AM
What do you consider along time, Patients young Grasshopper

LOL

Im patient..........but not too patient.
I consider a month along time.I don't know why but I feel that dead rock is never gonna work as good as live rock.(Im probably wrong but that's IMO)

brahm
10-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I read through most of the thread w/the live and dead rock debate..and it really goes both ways.. It seems like although it can work.. It doesn't have as much to offer in way of fauna and diversirty of life. Yes you can seed dead rock. but a hand full of gravel is going to start you off with a handfull of diffrent spieces.. But.. Either way, it comes down to how much you want to spend. If i were going to setup the 240.. NO way i would buy 240 pounds of live rock. I'd go 2 boxes of live..the rest dead.

obarrera
10-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by brahm
If i were going to setup the 240.. NO way i would buy 240 pounds of live rock. I'd go 2 boxes of live..the rest dead.
Yeah I wouldn't buy 240lbs of live rock either.(I would try but is way to much ---> $$$$$$$$$$)

REEFWAVE
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
if only i had known about this site before i started my reef close to a year ago.. i bought half my rock from liveaquaria, and the other half from AW. yes i bout just about 100lbs at over $6 a pound. live aquaria i think was like $4-5 a pound. either way i spent alot more than i should have......:mad:

brahm
10-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by REEFWAVE
if only i had known about this site before i started my reef close to a year ago.. i bought half my rock from liveaquaria, and the other half from AW. yes i bout just about 100lbs at over $6 a pound. live aquaria i think was like $4-5 a pound. either way i spent alot more than i should have......:mad:

yea same here all most all my rock is from og, or tank teardowns, and goldfish world.

Trickman2
10-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Cool come on buy some? Actually I doubt we are going to get enough people. We still need 15 more people who want a hundred pounds for 50 bucks

Started a new thread for this, Lets see what happens

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showt...=&threadid=2805