PDA

View Full Version : Places to Snorkel in SD?

ThatBastardMike
07-29-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm getting a little tired of the shores and the cove, sadly. Are there any other decent spots around?

coral diver
07-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Sadly to say there's none

Redeye
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
lol, was waiting for that answer

coral diver
07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
lol, was waiting for that answer
your crazy you really have to wait for me to say it :eek: :D which is true :D or you could go with redeye when he do the 5000g tank

Bogg
07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Seriously we should do a field trip to Hawaii.

acbaldwin
07-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Mission bay is a great place to snorkel, especially where the shore runoff drains in by Santa Clara pt. Lots of "life". :D :D

loose-electron
07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Mission bay is a great place to snorkel, especially where the shore runoff drains in by Santa Clara pt. Lots of "life". :D :D

I was in snorkling in Mission Bay Saturday, (Mariners Cove just around the boat) murky waters.

More specifics please where is this that you are suggesting?

mazilla
07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
i believe he was suggesting sarcasm cove.

acbaldwin
07-30-2007, 08:36 AM
i believe he was suggesting sarcasm cove.

I believe I was.

GAD
07-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Anyone ever snorkel at the tide pools over by Scripps? Never snorkeled there, but seems like it might be a good spot at high tide.

loose-electron
07-30-2007, 09:31 AM
hm... sarcasm cove...

oh well, I was actually looking so some decent places for snorkling...

c'est la vie

Atropa9
07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
If you do the Tide Pool at Scripps, you probably won't need fins, but just don't wear anything too colorful, or the kids will try to pick you up and turn you over. After hours, if you know someone, may be the best way to go.:D

Personally, I'd try to make a weekend trip to Catalina,(that way you won't be seeing any of those Oh So Hardy chromis that acbaldwin has been flushing). The west-end of the island has some awesome snorkeling/diving.

DaChrisDude
07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Personally, I'd try to make a weekend trip to Catalina,(that way you won't be seeing any of those Oh So Hardy chromis that acbaldwin has been flushing). The west-end of the island has some awesome snorkeling/diving.

I'd really like to head out there... what's to see there?

Is that an area that you can walk to, or do you have to take a boat to, etc? well, after you get to the island obviously)

loose-electron
07-30-2007, 12:38 PM
he is talking about the twin harbors end of the island - not the Avalon end.

Hm... Here:

http://www.snorkelingcatalina.com/

take a peek at where they suggest.

Most of the Catalina shuttles go into Avalon, but there are options on how to get up to twin harbors as well. Too long to walk, the island is 10-ish miles end to end.

Som1else
07-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Have you tried sunset cliffs?

Atropa9
07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, around the Isthmus, aka Two Harbors, and west of there. There's some nice coves with really clear water. Biggest problem is SD to Catalina. If you go out of Long Beach or LA, you can take a boat straight to Two Harbors. They have a store and a restaurant there so you can spend the day at it. If you want to go deli deluxe, you can get a room at the old Wrigley place. Lots of hiking opportunities, too.

Diver Dan
07-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Just take a swim from the cove arround the point to wind and sea. You would have to go on a small day and watch out for locals with screw drivers, but you will get some good lobster and no crowds! Good surf too on some days!

loose-electron
08-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, around the Isthmus, aka Two Harbors, and west of there. There's some nice coves with really clear water. Biggest problem is SD to Catalina. If you go out of Long Beach or LA, you can take a boat straight to Two Harbors. They have a store and a restaurant there so you can spend the day at it. If you want to go deli deluxe, you can get a room at the old Wrigley place. Lots of hiking opportunities, too.

How about 11 hours underway? I typically do Catalina by going over at night on the floating Chlorox bottle which only makes 6 knots under engine. 63 miles and long night but worth it when you get there.

Agreed, one of the shuttle boats that goes over is the quickest and easiest.

Ask for a "buffalo milk beverage" in one of the bars over there. Only made in Catalina.

Vayder1
08-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I've snorkeled Seaside Reef quite a bit, and caught a lot of fish. Conditions have to be right though, small surf, small shift in tide. Its a good place if you want something in the 5'-10' depth range with bigger fish. Its right off hwy 1 before you get to San Elijo and there is a parking lot. Don't know if they are charging for it right now.

Redeye
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
You mean I should stop diving in mission bay?? ;)

There is'nt much to see here when it comes to diving...thats why I dive fish tanks

Who's going Bug hunting next month????

davocean
08-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I will be out at midnight opening night as always.(I think sept 29th this year)
I have a little lobster gold mine straight in front of my house.
You just gotta be able to hump your gear up and down the bluff.
There's alot of places w/ reef to snorkel around, but the cove is the clearest and you'll see the most sea life there, so if that already bores you...

Redeye
08-02-2007, 03:13 PM
the cove is afew rocks and some kelp, like 3 fish, unless someone sneaks some peas out...
We hit afew spots up and down the coast through la jolla and down

Now that I have a dive computer, I just need to get a regulator and BC and those lobsters are in trouble...

davocean
08-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Isn't the cove the spot w/ the fish sanctuary?
That's where I've seen the clearest water w/ tons of fish every time I've gone.
Where you diving for bugs redeye?

Redeye
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
not when I snorkeled the cove the last few times
it's the best place in diego, but nothing great
people hyped it up to me too much when I first moved here