PDA

View Full Version : Barnicles

Chris
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I was eating oysters @ the brigantine on saturday and the shells were covered in barnicles. so I stuck 'em in my 10g crapbox to see what would happen and whaddya know, they immediately started filter feeding. I wonder what the benefits of these little guys are for bio filtration. Anybody know? I would think they would rock. Anyway I cant stop staring at them, the whole back of the shell is alive with little mouths opening and closing, their tiny feather duster like tounge lapping at the water.

marineman1978
07-23-2007, 11:24 AM
wow. keep us posted on this one. I wonder.....

paralabrax
07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Barnicle is a crustacean like a shrimp or crab the mouth is actually its feet which filter feed you. As far as biofiltration it will collect stuff out of the water but you need to feed it cyclopies and put it in medium to strong flow. It poo's like everything else so probably adds more load then takes away but they are interesting

alittlesalty
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Barnicle is a crustacean like a shrimp or crab the mouth is actually its feet which filter feed you. As far as biofiltration it will collect stuff out of the water but you need to feed it cyclopies and put it in medium to strong flow. It poo's like everything else so probably adds more load then takes away but they are interesting

poo's.......sorry I guess we never fully grow up.....I had to laugh when I read that

iwantone
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Just a little warning about raw shellfish. SInce I've been in SD for the past three years I've treated 3 patients with Guillian Burret Syndrome. It is a paralyzing syndrome and is devastating. All three of my patients got a viral illness shortly after eating raw oysters.

DaChrisDude
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I'll show you my barnicle.......

Oh wait, wrong thread...

Lol, it must be pretty fresh indeed if the barnicles are still alive on it.

davocean
07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Years ago my friends brought me some barnacles that washed up all over oceanside.
I stuck them in my tank, and they were pretty cool to watch, at first.
Then one day they all started releasing some kind of milky secretion which I'm guessing was spawning.
Made an absolute mess of my tank.
I personally wouldn't do it again, besides, I'm not sure if they live well in tropical temps.

Chris
07-24-2007, 06:40 AM
I eat tons of live and or raw shelfish.. I hope i dont have to meet you for anything other than to trade a frag, iwantone:( . i.e. the e.r.too bad they don't have a puke face.:eek: close enough
hey dave,
do you like that Outer Orbit t-5 setup? I was contemplating getting one of those. The cheapest I saw online was 350$ but it was the pc version

davocean
07-24-2007, 06:50 AM
I love my MH/T5 orbit.
If I were to buy right now I'd definitely go w/ T5 instead of PC.
Careful buying online, especially E-bay.
I was at Current and saw a pallet of E-bay lights, all hacked up abused crap.
Most of their returns end up being E-bay purchases gone bad.

Chris
07-24-2007, 07:11 AM
did you get yours in vista @ current?

davocean
07-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes, they're pretty cool over there.
It might actually still be Carlsbad, on business park dr. off of palomar airport just b4 it turns to san marcos blvd.

BigAir
07-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I eat tons of live and or raw shelfish.. I hope i dont have to meet you for anything other than to trade a frag, iwantone:( . i.e. the e.r.too bad they don't have a puke face.:eek: close enough

Here ya go Chris.

http://www.p1x44r.com/smiles/barf.gif

sacredfire
07-24-2007, 01:02 PM
I could only imagine the look on the waiters face when he wouldn't give up that ONE shell.. "This one Just this one, This is mine!"

I was eating oysters @ the brigantine on saturday and the shells were covered in barnicles. so I stuck 'em in my 10g crapbox to see what would happen and whaddya know, they immediately started filter feeding. I wonder what the benefits of these little guys are for bio filtration. Anybody know? I would think they would rock. Anyway I cant stop staring at them, the whole back of the shell is alive with little mouths opening and closing, their tiny feather duster like tounge lapping at the water.