PDA

View Full Version : Worm composting

Redeye
07-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone else do this?
what type of worms and setup do you use?

Restarting a bin, gonna use red wigglers

My lady is a vegetarian (all her life) so we might as well recycle the scraps and use them in our balcony garden

fishfinger
07-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Anyone else do this?
what type of worms and setup do you use?

Restarting a bin, gonna use red wigglers

My lady is a vegetarian (all her life) so we might as well recycle the scraps and use them in our balcony garden

I have read about it but never tried it. I have a good sized back yard vege garden and run a couple of compost bins. I hear the worm method does a great job. I usually put a few hundred worms in my compost piles and man do they multiply good in there. twice a year I dump each bin out into the garden soil with all of it's worms. Now my garden soil is full of the wonder working wigglers. They really help keep the soil in good shape.

Redeye
07-15-2007, 06:47 AM
their "castings" are great fertilizer on top of the great aeration

1 worm eats his body weight in a day, which does'nt sound like much, but with 1000 in a small rubbermaid, it's our living garbage disposal

not to mention, it's the best way to get rid of all these phone books:)

fishfinger
07-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Their casting are legendary. I buy bags of them as part of my felilizer routine. I have a reaaly nice organic garden. I will put some pics up for you to see. It's in full swing right now. I never have to by vegies.....very few anyway.

Redeye
07-16-2007, 05:59 AM
I grow 3 diffrent kinds of chili's, for making my own hot sauce (this stuff is GOOD) strawberries for desert (They taste sooooooo much better when you grow your own) Catnip and cat grass for my cat, Snap dragons for my lady, a small pine tree (they give them out on earthday in balboa) and then all my herbs

I used to use the casting for growing gourmet mushrooms