PDA

View Full Version : iPhones on ebay

pnguy3n
06-29-2007, 06:29 PM
damn i want one. someone will buy them. how did you score those? att at clmt sq?

SolRo
06-29-2007, 09:29 PM
I counted about 50 pages of them at 10:20pm tonight.

I'm going to watch a couple of the 40 or so low starting price, no reserve, 24 hour auctions :D

I think a lot of people are going to be regretting buying those 5 extra iphones lol

SolRo
06-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Auctions are ending pretty much for retail price of the phones +/- $50

Man, had to suck waiting in line for a whole day or more just to make $50 profit.

ocean1
06-30-2007, 11:23 PM
You can still buy them at the store. they didnt sell out. Have a friend that got one. Its pretty neat but even he had a couple worries.
Much like the Ipod you cannot get to the battery. At&T said it should last you 400 charges.. After that than what??
Gets a memory they said starting at around 250 which is very good ya but yikes!! lol
As much as you will use it would be nice to have a spare battery incase.
He got the data package neat stuffbut the data network was slow as crap compared to my 6700 PDA phone on Verizon. I think they must have used a slow network or something. He already has some scratches on the face hes way bummed since the whole phone is face.
We figured out with the 500 +tax and the data package and the call plan it will cost him over 2 thousand dollars the first year. By than the battery should be shot and Version two will be out =(
Hes too damn proud to admit it but I think he knows he shouldnt have gotten it lol. But it was cool to play with gotta say.

DaveMorris
06-30-2007, 11:27 PM
They use old cell technology, they are not 3G compatible which is why the data network seems slow, and they will lose ANOTHER battery lawsuit just like they did with the iPod. How many of the people that bought them now have an iPod sitting at home as well as a cell phone. And how many are switching to AT&T and paying $175 to terminate their current cell contract? The whole thing seems silly to me.

ocean1
06-30-2007, 11:32 PM
WOW no way this is a new phone Apple put it on an old or slow data network??
I think your right about the lawsuit my friend Keith was already kinda *****ing or worried about that. First time he runs outta battery and he cant throw another one in or get to his car charger or it gets to not holding the charge he will be returning it lol hes like that. I give him a week once hes done playing with the stuff lol You should see what a pain in the ass to load stuff it looks good on TV I dont know how long it took them to set it all up like that. Did you know even though its web capable you cannot Download songs to it?? You have to connect it to your PC!! He was soo bummed we hit the I tunes store didnt work called and they said nope lol I can DL songs all day long on my phone takes like 30 seconds to!

DaveMorris
06-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Just walk into a Mac store and buy one. You don't need to "score" one. They have tons of them that are delivered every day.

ocean1
06-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Any concerns about supply, at least at Apple stores, were moot, and standing in line for a day or more proved as necessary as snow tires in Miami. Ninety minutes after Apple started ringing up sales of the iPhone at its 24-hour flagship store on 5th Avenue in New York, anyone could just walk into the store and pick up a device with a minimal wait. In San Francisco, security guards put away the ropes marking the iPhone line at 7:09 p.m. and starting letting in anyone off the street.
http://msn-cnet.com.com/iPhone+supply+lives+to+sell+another+day/2100-1041_3-6194361.html?part=msn-cnet&subj=ns_2510&tag=mymsn
Ouch

DaChrisDude
07-01-2007, 12:54 AM
HAHAHAH!! Sorry, but I find this hilarious, people stupidly rushing out and paying ridiculously exorbitant amounts of money for a phone that it turns out, might be a piece of crap! Then all the people that are jumping on the "oh I'll buy two then sell them and make a killing!" scheme that somehow illogically and dumfoundingly worked for the PS3.... it'll suck for those people if the phones do in fact turn out to be POS's, in which case they are now stuck with 2 phones no-one wants.

Hopefully the phones will be as sweet as they sounded in the advertisements.

pblocal
07-01-2007, 07:41 AM
you can take back an unopened box for up to 14 days, so I imagine several people will do that (including myself) if it does not sell.

I am actually still waiting for my service to start up to use the thing. My friend already had AT+T so he was up an running a few minutes after opening the box, my account is new so I am waiting and pretty pissed off about it. Didn't ATT know there would be this initial rush and people would want it on right away? F'ed up in my opinion.

BUT - it is a really cool gadget, my friends works very well and automatically goes to wi-fi when in a hotspot or at someones home that has wireless (he does)

CNCreefer
07-01-2007, 08:41 AM
4g - $800.00

8g - $1000.00
Why the huge markup? It's not like these are in short supply or hard to find or anything...
Myself, I can't see paying $400 or $800 for some electronic gadget and have to pay $60 per month to use it.

DaveMorris
07-01-2007, 11:56 AM
I was at the New York 5th ave. store at 5pm on Friday and I bet all those people waiting in that long line were pissed. One guy had spot number 47 in line for sale. I think he wanted $200 for it. Hopefully they had fun with it all.

wildtigg3r
07-01-2007, 10:15 PM
apple store has plenty of iphone for sale. theres no shortage. no need to buy one with huge markup or on ebay. if they're out, while a couple days and they'll have more shipment.

ensiferum321
07-02-2007, 12:45 AM
That was the people who bought these intentions, to buy the phones and sell them the next day expecting to make a good profit. Well, hate to break it to you guys, but no one is going to pay that price when the Apple stores are not short on supplies. You're going to be lucky to get the amount now of what Apple is selling them. Better of saved your receipt and return for your money back :D

barometer
07-02-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm both completely amused and disgusted at the same time. This is a direct result of the video game console wars. But last I checked, the iPhone is not a console. So jumping the gun to try to profit on a perceived shortage/demand was not very considerate or intelligent. This hits close to home for me working in the game industry. It burns me to no end to watch people horde new consoles (or any item for that matter) with no desire to keep them for themselves for the express purpose of holding them hostage for personal gain. In the world of video games I find it even more despicable because those who horde are doing so at the cost of minors and their parents in many cases. Oh well, I guess there's no way to stop people from trying to rip off their fellow citizens. :(
But it does make me feel a bit of joy knowing that many with that intent will eat it on this one :D I'm gonna be keeping an eye on the sales numbers. I bet the sell through number changes drastically as the extras people bought get returned to the stores.

SoCaLNaTiVe
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Stores are now sold out of the IPHONE in SD and most of the market. Apple even pushed there shipping date back to a month. Looks like E-bay is the only way right now. Good Luck Nice number they had in the first weekend though, 525,000 IPHONEs not bad.

ocean1
07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Santee is expecting more in anytime. They also sid they expect returns as multiple buyers purchased several of the units to resell and they expect them to start comming back to the stores as the demand wasnt there. Ill bet 1/3 at least of the 523 k sold is peps that bought 3 or more to resell for rediculous mark ups. They have already said supply shouldnt be an issue with more than 2 million ready to be sold. Just a hype thing keep the supply a little tight another brilliant market tool by Apple they are very good at that. Best marketing on a product I have ever seen. Props to Apple

Rushdog86
07-02-2007, 03:10 PM
1- i believe you were only allowed to buy 2 max
2- i believe that you have to start a new 2 year contract to get one
3- im not sure but i believe that even if you manae to buy one you cannot activate one unless you have started a new 2 year contract

let me know what you guys think

barometer
07-02-2007, 03:21 PM
1- i believe you were only allowed to buy 2 max
2- i believe that you have to start a new 2 year contract to get one
3- im not sure but i believe that even if you manae to buy one you cannot activate one unless you have started a new 2 year contract

let me know what you guys think

1- If limits were set, one could just go to another store and readily get more if that was one's intention. Some stores ignored limits as well.
2- A contract is not required, though for now they can only be used on AT&T, so...
3- yes you'd have to activate it with AT&T, but not necessarily with a new 2 yr contract

convict
07-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Gotta love apple....They saved Britain from getting hit with another terrorist attack.

http://patdollard.com/2007/07/02/breaking-our-iphones-didnt-activate-yet/

marineman1978
07-24-2007, 02:48 PM
I just don't understand. I have a dash. I can put music on it surf the net and do all of the things the iphone can do. (I can even swap my battery) wow!

I dont get it... cool looking phone....but... phone none the less

DaChrisDude
07-24-2007, 03:28 PM
These people trying to 'hack' the iphone... is that illegal at all? Is Apple trying to stop them?

RussM
07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
These people trying to 'hack' the iphone... is that illegal at all? Is Apple trying to stop them?
That's a good question, but without a clear answer. It's a rather gray zone legally. In general:

If the intent is to reverse engineer a product to gain proprietary and/or patented technology, and then profit financially from it, yes.

If the intent is to identify deficiencies (in this case, security vulnerabilities - lots of IT security consulting companies do this) or to "improve" a product for personal use, no.

Publically releasing details of a vulnerability is quite controversial... the company mentioned in that article released it as a so-called public service - issuing a warning to iPhone owners, and a call to arms for Apple to fix the problem. Many IT security experts think this practice is wrong, as do I, because it then becomes easier for hackers to quickly develop working exploits... usually well before the software or hardware vendor can fix and distribute a patch or update.

I personally think that if a vulnerability is found, the discovering person or company should notify the manufacturer quietly, and only after a suitable timeframe, perhaps 90 days, then release the info to the public. This gives the manufacturer time to develop a fix without giving the darn hackers a heads-up right away.... these guys can whip out an exploit in no time at all. Many exploits are known as "0-day"... someone or some company puts out details of a vulnerability on the web or in a press release, and the hackers frequently develop a means to exploit the vulnerability in less than a day (hence the 0-day moniker.)

pnguy3n
09-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow, $100 credit at Apple stores. Steve Jobs is a marketing genuis, he still will benefit.

Reef Papi
09-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Ahhh man my business instincts kicked in last week when I heard that Apple had a huge announcement to make on the 5th, so I sold my 4GB iPhone for $400 cash plus a Nokia phone. Then this week came the big price drop. WHEW...

sacredfire
09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
You can use the iphones on any network now, As long as it takes a sim card your good to go. A Software hack can be bought or found on the web.

And Hacking is in no way illegal. A law in passed in 2006 protects anyone who may want to reverse engineer a cell phone.