PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in my family room

CruiseX
06-23-2007, 01:36 PM
As I swallow my pride....I woke up to about 50 gallons of water on my tile floor this morning. Not sure why the pumps went off with everything else - but I think my GFI outlet that everything is routed through was tripped. Actually it was so I am left wondering why the outlet tripped - and it has been running fine like this for months. So usually that would be good and water would not overflow anywhere. Yet that was not the case even though the system was tested when I set it up. Apparantly the oneway check valve (that I had gotten from Home Depot) I installed to prevent the one tank from draining out from the intake failed --- bummer.

Luckily enough I have tile floor and was really only left scrubbing a rug after all the water was sucked up by the wet va and floor cleaned. So now I wait for my new check valves (different kind - flappers this time) to finish up drying before I refill and get things going again.

BTW I should not loose any live stock as the main tank did not drain much.

Just when you thought you were going to enjoy your weekend. Fish tanks are awesome to have - like water beds - but when something goes wrong it reallys sucks.

BigAir
06-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Man, that sucks Rob. I am sorry to hear that.
You aren't the only one who has a wet floor today, so don't feel too bad. I delivered water to Boalgf, and while we were BSing the barrel in his closet way over filled to the tune of about 30-40 gallons on the carpeted floor.
Things happen when you are able to move 130 gallons in 35 mins over 100feet.

If you need some extra water, you are welcome to come by and get some. I am sitting on about 250 gallons and 45 of that is warm. I would offer to bring it over, but I've had a few beers.

CruiseX
06-23-2007, 01:50 PM
thanks brady, but we made two runs to scripps already so we are good for now. I will keep that in mind for the future though. I had forgotten about all the water you keep on hand. Hopefully I have fixed it this time. I even added another ball valve to be extra cautious. Man I need a beer.

swissfish
06-23-2007, 02:07 PM
sorry to hear that.

IMO there are only two types of check valves the ones that leak and the ones that will leak.

iwantone
06-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Been there and done that. My current tank has a built in sump, so I never have to worry about floods anymore.

barometer
06-23-2007, 02:34 PM
So sorry about your mess. :( I guess it's good that it at least happened on the weekend. With my luck I would have woken up to that having to be at work in a half hour for a meeting or something. Glad you didn't loose any livestock :)

Ed

rudy
06-23-2007, 02:37 PM
You should check your heater or powerheads or anything else that was plugged into the GFI.
It tripped for some reason, be careful.

DaveMorris
06-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Two days ago I decided I needed to run water through my cal reactor due to other problems. I was letting the water run out into a 5 gal bucket. I only needed to run a couple gallons out at a slow pace. I went into the house to get something, forgot all about it, and a few hours later I was sitting there watching lots of bubbles come out of the returns. I run out back to find the bucket completely full and all 40 gallons of my topoff water emptied onto the floor. Dropped the salinity in my tank a couple points and flooded my equipment room.

Maybe the moon is full or something. Anyone else have a recent flood??

CruiseX
06-23-2007, 03:25 PM
my GFI kicked everything off at once - that is the way i wired things so I am not worried about the equipment. It was running fine with no issues for six months. Not sure why the GFI kicked everything off, but they are very sensitive and can be finicky - maybe is pissed off the reef aquarium Gods and this is my penance...who knows - things should be back to normal shortly with added protection this time.

JoeJ
06-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Gawd.....thanks for having the courage to share your bad experiences, folks. It certainly helps make this forum worthwhile with the troubleshooting and precaution tips.

I've got this finicky GFCI outside the house and it's only hooked up to a Culligan softwater system and outdoor lighting system. Just when you think it's gonna stop acting up, it does. There's a replacement waiting to be installed, but I just haven't gotten around to it since it's not too critical.

Beer, on the other hand, is critical!

pirate2876
06-23-2007, 03:56 PM
my chiller tripped the gfci today as well.luckly only my chiller and my ps2 is on that circuit.

Atropa9
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Yea for forced water changes on the weekend !:D
Like Brady, who was just over today dropping off water (before he got drunk) I think I live all of 3 minuets away from you, so if you ever need a hand cleaning up or some spare part, item, equip. don't hesitate to ask.

CruiseX
06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Yea for forced water changes on the weekend !:D
Like Brady, who was just over today dropping off water (before he got drunk) I think I live all of 3 minuets away from you, so if you ever need a hand cleaning up or some spare part, item, equip. don't hesitate to ask.

hey thanks - i am always willing to lend a hand so I appreciate those that will do the same. If something like this happens again, please no, I will start tapping the local talent. I guess it has been one of those weeks - a bunch of people have been having a problem here or there.