PDA

View Full Version : Need Car Advice

Emokidjosh26
06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Baisc Info:
2002 Ford Focus LX ~68000miles

When first starting to drive it after turning on the car is not very responsive. It kind of chugs its way along and doesn't speed up as fast.
Is this a transmission problem or could it be something else?

Thanks In Advance
-Josh

rudy
06-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Make sure the parking brake is off:D

Is it making any strange noises?
Describe in more detail what is happening.
Manual or automatic?

iVgOnMaD
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Could also be a clogged injector, spark plugs, etc.

iVgOnMaD
06-22-2007, 08:40 PM
If it was a transmission problem you would hear your engine working hard but your car would not move at the same pace.

Does it stall or buckle when you are driving very slow?

Emokidjosh26
06-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I'll try to answer the questions in order.
1. Stange noises:
It is not making any strange noises, but exhaust does seem louder than when I got it.
2. Transmission is Automatic
3. I had the 60K service done around Feburary, can't remember everything that was taken care.
4. It has stalled once only once since I noticed the problem, when I was backing up

FlipCyd
06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Sounds like it's past due for service. Oil/filter change, fuel filter, belts hoses, distributor cap, rotor, oxygen sensors, spark plugs/wires, and a fluid flush. It could be one or a number of these things that could be causing it. Or it could be a weird Ford sensor, Ford is notorious for bad sensors showing weird symptoms.

SolRo
06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
is it still under warranty for the drivetrain?

brynboy
06-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Fuel Injectors may need to be cleaned.

barrman
06-23-2007, 09:33 AM
you mentioned that it only occurs for a short time after you start it? does it drive normally after its been running for a bit?

sounds like a maf or oxygen sensor if thats the case. if either is very very dirty where accurate readings cannot be taken, your ECU will compensate by going into closed loop mode, where its basically 'guessing' correct amounts of fuel enrichment to use.

this can cause power issues, especially when the engine is cold.

like others have e=mentioned, you need a good tuneup! replace your o2 sensors (i believe that vehicle should have three.. two upstream, and 1 downstream), clean/replace maf, clean IAC (idle air controller), check fluid levels, plugs, etc.

Redeye
06-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I would say, exhaust leak, slugish when moving slow, but seems abit faster on freeway huh?

That, and it's a ford
has your side view mirror fallen off yet? :)
was a mechanic for 6 years, have 2 ASE certifications

very hard to diagnose over internet, Midas (or tires and maintenance plus now) offers a FREE exhaust inspection, I would start there

but don't let them do the work, overpriced *******s (used to work for them for acouple years)

CNCreefer
06-23-2007, 10:47 AM
2002 Ford Focus LX

distributor cap, rotor
Are you sure that car HAS a cap and rotor? My 2000 Ranger has an electronic distributor, all it is is a black box (actually 2) with the plug wires coming out of it.

Redeye
06-23-2007, 10:52 AM
agreed, I think it has a coil pack

FlipCyd
06-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Are you sure that car HAS a cap and rotor? My 2000 Ranger has an electronic distributor, all it is is a black box (actually 2) with the plug wires coming out of it.

point taken, i was just listing all the stuff i changed when i tuned up my honda.

BigAir
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
I honestly suggest taking it to Samco, they are the best testers out there.
Really does sound like a computer issue tied in with the fuel system or the exhaust system electronic wise.
Could also be as simple as the EGR valve is shot and needs replacing.

CruiseX
06-23-2007, 07:31 PM
man expert reefers and car mechanics - there is some talent on this forum. I think the problem is your radio....

I agree with bigair. It could be any multitude of problems. As much as it sucks I would take it in and have them run some tests. Maybe take it back to where you had the 60K service done and tell them it was not doing this before they did the service on it. Use an excuse of being out of the country for the time gap.

swissfish
06-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Use an excuse of being out of the country for the time gap.

......and also tell them they screwed up the odometer because it suddenly has 8000 miles more on it......

CruiseX
06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
touche