In my grasps!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/oceangor/000_0865-1.jpg
Your a big sucker!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/oceangor/000_0866.jpg
I think I pulled something!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/oceangor/102_0245.jpg
Almost.. I think I can I think I can!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r194/oceangor/102_0247.jpg
Your done and now Im too tired to eat ya....

SDguy
06-18-2007, 08:12 PM
It's amazing how strong those flower-petal-like claws are...

ocean1
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I am really worried about leaveing the entire starfish in my tank but from what I read they get eatin' slow (gross I know) so they dont decay in your tank.
I just couldnt cut the starfish up. I had the knife and bags everything ready to start the surgery but I couldnt do it.
So I just tossed him in. should be okay from what I read. Dunno

obarrera
06-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I had the knife and bags everything ready to start the surgery but I couldnt do it.

lol, I bet you'll cut it if it eats one of your corals.:D

Harlequins are cool, I've always wanted one.:)
You should make a video

nanoreefbro
06-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I am really worried about leaveing the entire starfish in my tank but from what I read they get eatin' slow (gross I know) so they dont decay in your tank.
I just couldnt cut the starfish up. I had the knife and bags everything ready to start the surgery but I couldnt do it.
So I just tossed him in. should be okay from what I read. Dunno

Yeah I cant cut them either..:o I usually try and buy a small starfish and just drop him in there..

roworld
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah I cant cut them either..:o I usually try and buy a small starfish and just drop him in there..

I read some where that starfish have no brain, so that means they cant feel pain right.;) So think of that & hack away!:eek: I chop it into four & throw in a piece once a week.

nanoreefbro
06-19-2007, 12:16 AM
I read some where that starfish have no brain, so that means they cant feel pain right.;) So think of that & hack away!:eek: I chop it into four & throw in a piece once a week.

So what do you do with the other pieces since you add a piece once a week? Do you freeze them?

obarrera
06-19-2007, 12:21 AM
You can put them in your sump

seahorse_man
06-19-2007, 12:23 AM
They have no brain or nervous system so they cant feel it:) Just don't cut to far down or it will die:( But just think:rolleyes: when you do it it's just like a lizards tail;)

roworld
06-19-2007, 02:00 AM
So what do you do with the other pieces since you add a piece once a week? Do you freeze them?

Yep into the freezer.

SDguy
06-19-2007, 05:48 AM
I just put the whole star in. It does not decay. Even a really big one...though none last long with my pair.

dbrooks
06-19-2007, 06:26 AM
do harliquine's also eat those little white starfish that I have? If not, what does?

BigAir
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
do harliquine's also eat those little white starfish that I have? If not, what does?

Asterina stars,yes. You will however need to get a chocolate chip star to feed the shrimp when the asterinas are gone.

dbrooks
06-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Asterina stars,yes. You will however need to get a chocolate chip star to feed the shrimp when the asterinas are gone.
Thanks. My problem is that I have a smithii mantis in my reef tank...and he might take exception to a Harlequin...although it hasn't bothered the CB shrimp at all.

DaChrisDude
06-19-2007, 06:47 AM
regardless of no nervous system or not, I felt really bad about chopping a leg off of my chocolate star....

I did though.

nanoreefbro
06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
I just put the whole star in. It does not decay. Even a really big one...though none last long with my pair.

Yeah my pair jump on it right away and nothing is left over.. :eek:

Big Brother
06-19-2007, 08:35 AM
what i do is i bought 3 choc chip stars and put them into my fuge. then i cut the arm off one of them (or have someone else do it, they squirt water at you when you start cutting, uck) and throw it in for the shrimp. then a week later (or so) ill cut an arm of one of the other ones, that way, by the time its time for the first one again, the arm has grown back. a renewable food source!

iVgOnMaD
06-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Just make sure you get a very sharp knife so the star doesn't suffer too much :(

roworld
06-19-2007, 03:11 PM
what i do is i bought 3 choc chip stars and put them into my fuge. then i cut the arm off one of them (or have someone else do it, they squirt water at you when you start cutting, uck) and throw it in for the shrimp. then a week later (or so) ill cut an arm of one of the other ones, that way, by the time its time for the first one again, the arm has grown back. a renewable food source!

That sounds like a good idea, but do you know if the stars will do damage in the fuge??:confused:

homer-sampson
06-26-2007, 01:39 AM
That sounds like a good idea, but do you know if the stars will do damage in the fuge??:confused:

ive kept chocolate chip stars in my fuge but all i really had in there was chaeto algae... i remember rudy has a huge refugium with mangroves and he has like 7 or 8 in there as a stock pile for his pair of harlequin shrimp