PDA

View Full Version : Pico update

jaysonsd
06-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Been awhile since I updated on my tank and there's been a lot of changes. I really wanted more sps so I tried to accomidate. So what do sps need? Stability, mh, skimming, and random flow. Needless to say, this is damn hard w/ such a small tank :p .

Grabbed a 70 watt mh 14k setup that sits ~5 inches from the surface. Temp control is ghettoed out with a big wall fan nearby set on the same timer as the mh. Gravity ATO with a small amount of kalkwasser (learned the hard way not to mix high strength kalk, and wouldn't use it if there weren't so many sps in the tank now).

I ditched the big fuge AC30 and nabbed a rio nano skimmer. It was only 10 bux used but I can honestly say to anyone and everyone DON'T GET ONE! Yeesh, its the most ineffective and tempermental piece of machinery I've ever owned. Microbubbles are controlled with a ton of filter floss, and it still leaks out a little. I don't think it would effectively skim anything larger than a 5gal :mad: .

The flow is somewhat randomized b/t the rio and a the mini powerhead. I threw an old hob powerfilter on the side to stick some macro and phosban on an alternate light schedule.

Water changes are 30% 1-2x a week, scripps. Keeping a hungry sun coral, mini carpets, gonio, and carnation is damn difficult with the sps; but the water changes seem to help.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/jayson_lewan/fwfts009.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/jayson_lewan/fwfts011.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/jayson_lewan/fwfts012.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/jayson_lewan/fwfts013.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb235/jayson_lewan/fwfts014.jpg

DaChrisDude
06-02-2007, 10:50 PM
breathtakingly beautiful. Amazing that it's such a small tank, wow.

demetre
06-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Definately wow. Your tank is what definately made me think about going smaller instead of bigger, when I had a 50-55 I could have gotten up and running. Just completely gorgeous!

I've been having better luck with the Rio nano skimmer, myself. I have two, one each for my 12 and 5. Got the 5 gallon's Rio from someone else who said it was really temperamental. The key, I've found is not cleaning it out too often, I always get around a tablespoon of green-brown skimmate every 2 days from both of 'em, and no problem with Microbubbles after the first week's running. I try not to break it down much.

SDguy
06-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Awesome! I thought my tank was full ;) Watch the hydno...from the pics anyways, it looks really close to some SPS.

Nick_Kun
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
very nice, I can't believe how many sps frags you have in there. Looking good. BTW, is that frag on the right the BB frag you got from me?>

Direct Marine
06-03-2007, 01:20 PM
all I can say is

KICK A$$!!! its hard to believe the tank is so small!!!

-Jerehmy

Chanas4
06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
That sure has come a long way. Beautiful

jaysonsd
06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone, really appreciate compliments :)

demetre: think mine is just a bad quality one, rarely clean it, but I do notice it gets better the dirtier it gets, wierdest thing huh?

Peter: the hydno is actually sweeper free as long as nothing touches it, the tricolor I nabbed from you has been more aggressive!

Nick: the austera is yours and encrusting :) reminds me you have a humilius with my name on it I think

Nick_Kun
06-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Thought it looked familiar, the humilis are encrusting already.

- Nick

Thanks everyone, really appreciate compliments :)

demetre: think mine is just a bad quality one, rarely clean it, but I do notice it gets better the dirtier it gets, wierdest thing huh?

Peter: the hydno is actually sweeper free as long as nothing touches it, the tricolor I nabbed from you has been more aggressive!

Nick: the austera is yours and encrusting :) reminds me you have a humilius with my name on it I think

nitrogenbubbles
06-03-2007, 09:29 PM
You have made it work, keep up the husbandry and enjoy:D I could never keep a small tank, not home enough to keep the peri in specs...Kudos man, and keep up the great work....even the small can be a piece of 3 diminsional heaven

seahorse_man
06-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Looks good:) You still have the baby plate?:confused:How many gallons it that?:confused: Keep up the good work;)

demetre
06-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Sorta, but you also gotta monkey around with the water flow for each tank. Like my 12 has it going on full blast, while my 5, I cut down severely. I also check the air vent itself every week at least, or if I notice a lack of skimmate, 'cause the thing sometimes starts shutting itself off, and just a small little tweak will get the bubbles working again. It's a decient skimmer for the money, DEFINATELY better then the POS Fission nano skimmer I tried beforehand(you want a problem with micro bubbles? get onea those, also, suction cups on the thing dissolve within 6 months!), though, if I really had the money to blow, I'd try to locate a Nano Remora.

pirate2876
06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
sweet nano.love all the sps.it looks like that blue digi has come a long way