PDA

View Full Version : Scripps water?

SDMike
02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey, got a question about Scripps water. I had a friend tell me that there's all kinds of microscopic life, etc. in the water so it isn't as good as salt mix and RO water.

Judging by the 3 big-arse filters sitting at the end of the pier, I'm scratching my head thinking "huh?"

So, how IS the water that you get from Scripp's faucet?

Mike

M. Parkis
02-05-2004, 03:12 PM
I have been using it for years, with no problems. The water out of the fausiton the left (with the hose attached) is sand filtered. THe one on the right is raw unfiltered.

SDMike Got your call for help the other night but when I tried to call back there was no answer. Hope all is ok.

Kee
02-05-2004, 03:38 PM
I have heard of these faucets but never bothered to ask where they are located exactly. Could you help me out?

Just found this site. Great resource for SD reef tanks.

elgordoinavw
02-05-2004, 03:43 PM
dude i've been using the water from the hose for a couple of years with no problems. Matter of fact i like the way my cup 'o' noodles tastes when I cook with it.

nalbar
02-05-2004, 03:56 PM
the san diego guys here talked me into trying it and no looking back now. what convinced me is if you purchase water at any of our LFS's you are actually buying scripps water because they all get it delivered.

kee, it is right where the scripps pier hits land. there are directions in this thread;http://www.rockyorange.com/sdcoral/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82

nalbar

Kee
02-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks. Hopefully I can get there tomorrow.

alien4fish
02-05-2004, 05:25 PM
scripps water is great USE IT!!!!!!!!

wwxc
02-05-2004, 07:16 PM
So does everyone use the sand filtered or the raw unfiltered?

SDMike
02-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Kee
I have heard of these faucets but never bothered to ask where they are located exactly. Could you help me out?

Just found this site. Great resource for SD reef tanks.

I'm headed down tomorrow AM. Gotta fill those jugs of water that Ofer lent me the other day.

The easy way is to get to La Jolla Shores. If you're coming down from the top, there's a right turn about halfway down the hill (AFTER the second curve)*. Turn right, follow the signs to the pier. Spigot is at the end of the pier.

Mike

*Edit: look for the Naga entrance sign on La Jolla Shores Rd. It'll be just downhill from the bottom entrance to the Scripps Aquarium. Once you turn into the Scripps area, you're going to turn Left at the first turn, then right at the T. THe faucet's at the end of the pier on the left.

Hope that helps someone else to find it.

Mike

M. Parkis
02-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Use the sand filtered water. It's easier than trying to keep trak of red tides and other such lovely things....The raw water is mostly ok but every so often it gets a little funky.

MrKrispy
02-06-2004, 12:17 AM
There is only a tap for the filtered water atop the pier.

I could be wrong I guess.

THere is only one HOSE to dispense the water atop the pier...

alien4fish
02-06-2004, 08:46 AM
YEUP!! thats all there is now down at the pier, the only faucet thats not locked is the sand filtered water so you can't miss, there is a guy that works on the filters thats there all the time if you're not sure you ask him he's always hangin around the filters

triggerSD
02-08-2004, 07:54 PM
Just be sure if you have any type of algae bloom not to use this water. Maybe not everyone has had a problem with it but my red slime went ape $#!T when I used the scripps water. I think I have it almost under control now.

alien4fish
02-09-2004, 05:00 AM
i went down to day and filled up im probably gonna have to go back down this week i just set up my sons tank and used all the water:p

brahm
02-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by triggerSD
Just be sure if you have any type of algae bloom not to use this water. Maybe not everyone has had a problem with it but my red slime went ape $#!T when I used the scripps water. I think I have it almost under control now.

More flow = less red slime

MrKrispy
02-10-2004, 11:14 AM
check the surf report for contaminations. The Red Tide and such are usually in the news also. I would be more worried about the sandbed filters not being able to remove chemical runoff contaminations after bad storms. But that is just me.