PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon

Kscurrr88
05-12-2007, 10:24 PM
ive had a 75 gallon for 3 weeks now and im planning my fish list. heres what i have:

-Some type of anthias
-some type of bannerfish
-flame angel
-royal gramma
-yellow watchman
-midas blenny
-mated pair perculas

-hermit crabs
-emerald crab
-serpent star
-some type of star
-various snails

and eventually when i get better lighting
-corals
-clam
-anemonies

tell me what you think thanks

Diver Dan
05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Flame angels are a bit iffy with coral. perculas tend to get like old ladys and are nasty should be introduced last if you want to have a midas blenny and a peaceful tank. You should start out by cycling some damsel and chromis $3 fish...cheap and colourful. Get some LR and LS and let cycle a while when the cheap fish are in, this will seed the tank and start the beneficial bacteria going. then you can trade the cheap fish back and start getting some of the fish you want after a month or so. I suggest a hardy tang and a lawnmower blenny. Then coral is another story. Oh and no serpant stars I highly dislike them they go after all of my fish and shrimp in my tank, but if you really want one i could let you have mine. Welcome to the boards and happy reefing.

Oh yeah no butterflys because they are not reef safe.

SolRo
05-12-2007, 11:38 PM
-As interesting as hermits can be, they just end up being a pain.

They wont eat the algae you want eaten, and they will kill snails/pick at
coral.

- angel might pick at clam, hit or miss.

- might want to get a tang or lawnmower blenny for algae control.

crstjohn
05-13-2007, 06:00 AM
then you can trade the cheap fish back and start getting some of the fish you want after a month or so.

Catching the "cheap" fish is much easier said than done. Typically people that use this approach end up with the "cheap" fish in their tanks and they can terrorize some of the "expensive" fish you wish to add later. You wold be much better off to cycle the tank using another method such as putting a small piece of fresh shrimp in the tank to decay, feeding a little bit of food to the tank and checking your water parameters until the spikes are gone and the tank has stabilized. Also, there are some species of Butterfly fish that are reef safe.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Flame angels are a bit iffy with coral. perculas tend to get like old ladys and are nasty should be introduced last if you want to have a midas blenny and a peaceful tank. You should start out by cycling some damsel and chromis $3 fish...cheap and colourful. Get some LR and LS and let cycle a while when the cheap fish are in, this will seed the tank and start the beneficial bacteria going. then you can trade the cheap fish back and start getting some of the fish you want after a month or so. I suggest a hardy tang and a lawnmower blenny. Then coral is another story. Oh and no serpant stars I highly dislike them they go after all of my fish and shrimp in my tank, but if you really want one i could let you have mine. Welcome to the boards and happy reefing.

that is exactly what im doing with the damsels. its been about 3+ weeks now. Some butterflys are reef safe. Wont all the tangs be too big for my tank? and the midas blenny doesnt et algae?? thanks

Redeye
05-13-2007, 07:42 AM
I hate damsels, there are acouple exotic ones that are very colorful and less aggressive, but generally, don't buy them for anything

buy some chromis'
you could keep a yellow tang just fine
I know the "tang police" might whine, but screw the cops:P
I would say no angel, no banner
I have seen banners go nuts and take down fish 10x their size, on more than 4 or 5 occasions
not to mention they attack me when I dive in a tank
Make sure you don't go buy ALL these fish at once...

davocean
05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
I agree w/ Redeye and crstjohn for a better cycle and less trouble later, as well as fish choice.
I do love my chromis, a keeper damsel.
Y tang OK, also look at tomini's, kole's.
I TOTALLY second the crab opinion, snail killers very often, mine have all been removed for years now.
And yeah, go slow on fish.

Redeye
05-13-2007, 08:28 AM
red legged mexican hermits eat cyano, but after that, they kill all your snails:P

Chanas4
05-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I opted to go without hermits on my upgrade. They picked at my corals once the cyano was gone. emerald was not a good experience for me, he picked at my corals too but could have been because my tank was too small. My yello Tang seems happy in my 75, and I loove chromis. they are full of personality.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 05:07 PM
so is this list looking good?

-yellow tang
-flame angel
-longnose hawkfish
-yellow watchman
-mated pair perculas
-royal gramma

-emerald crab
-serpent star
-brittle star
-various snails

-corals
-clam
-anemonies

is there any other crabs i could get besides hermit that will be ok with emerald and are reef safe? thanks.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
im also looking into getting a pair of sleeper gobies any ideas? also can i just add them to the list or do i have to get rid of something?

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 06:34 PM
The Long Nosed Hawk is fine but he will it small fish,shrimp and may even pick at snails,crabs,ect.:D

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 07:06 PM
thanks....

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 07:09 PM
thanks....

No problem,you have any other ?'s:)

swissfish
05-13-2007, 07:16 PM
flamehawks are the cooler hawk fish imo but they tend to eat shrimps, snails and hermits :)

Keep in mind to add the most agressive fish last.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 07:23 PM
can you name my fish in order from least aggressive to most aggresive. Anybodys opinions are welcome. Because i will be getting 1 fish to start Quarentining this weekend its test results are good. also any ideas about the sleeper gobies i was thinkin like a pair of tigers(http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=484&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4)

or orange diamonds. (http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=242&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4)Also

would i be able to put in a decorative crab
(http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=175&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4)

and/or boxing crab?(http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=172&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4)

thanks...

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
On the gobies I would go with the diamond gobies the tiger gobies are harder to take care of.The decorator crab I would avoid because it will rip stuff like polyps,rubble,pieces of coral,or anything in you tank just to put it on him to blend in.The boxer crab(pom-pom crab)would be a good little guy to get.

If you have any other ?'s let me know.;)

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
can you put my fish list in order from least aggressive to most aggresive? and also if i was to get the 2 diamond gobies would i have to remove any of the other fish i have on my list.

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
so is this list looking good?

-yellow tang
-flame angel
-longnose hawkfish
-yellow watchman
-mated pair perculas
-royal gramma

-emerald crab
-serpent star
-brittle star
-various snails

-corals
-clam
-anemonies

is there any other crabs i could get besides hermit that will be ok with emerald and are reef safe? thanks.

The diamond gobies may be a problem with the yellow watchman goby.Here is the list in order of what should be put in:

-yellow tang/5th

-flame angel/1st

-longnose hawkfish/never(unless you don't have what I mentioned before like small fish,shrimp,snails,crabs,and other small inverts)

-yellow watchman/4th/same time as diamond gobies(you may have a problem with the pair of diamond gobies but put them in at the same time to have a better chance of them getting along)

-mated pair perculas/3rd

-royal gramma/2nd

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
idunno willl the longnose eat emerald, boxing, decorator, or like decent sized nass. or cucumbers or stuff like that. im not planning on having any shrimp

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 08:41 PM
idunno willl the longnose eat emerald, boxing, decorator, or like decent sized nass. or cucumbers or stuff like that. im not planning on having any shrimp

He would for sure love the boxing crab and when he gets a little bigger he will at some point try to eat the big nass and emerald crab.He may even try to pick at the decorator crab.:(

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 08:44 PM
darn i love that fish. alright whats a good replacement? i probably want a bottom dweller thats colorful that doesnt fight with the gobies. Perhaps a midas blenny? or lawnmower? just an idea

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 08:47 PM
The midas blenny should be a perfect fish.;)

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
sweet! what order should he come in?

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 08:55 PM
New list:

-flame angel/1st

-royal gramma/2nd

-pair of diamond gobies/3rd

-Midas Blenny/4th

-mated pair perculas/5th

-yellow tang/6th

Please LMK if you have any other ?'s;)

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 08:56 PM
ummm are shrimp safe in this tank now? are there any inverts at danger with these fish?

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah here is a list of inverts you could put in:

fire shrimp
cleaner shrimp
peppermint shrimp
emerald crab
hermit crabs(don't get the big red legged hemits)
Snails
serpent stars(don't get the green one)
conch
coral banded shrimp

LMK if you have any other ?'s

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 09:07 PM
ok thanks. what kind of conch? do they all eat diatoms? cuz i got diatoms right now but i read it will go away and its because its a newish tank

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 09:12 PM
and how about a pistol shrimp i heard they share burrow with sleepers. and what about a mated pair of Coral banded shrimp?

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
do they reproduce?

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
ok thanks. what kind of conch? do they all eat diatoms? cuz i got diatoms right now but i read it will go away and its because its a newish tank

I like fighting conchs because the don't get as big as the other ones.

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:22 PM
and how about a pistol shrimp i heard they share burrow with sleepers. and what about a mated pair of Coral banded shrimp?

You would be fine with a pistol shrimp,I would go with a tiger pistol because they are a bigger than the candy stripe pistol shrimp.Oh and the mated pair of coral banded shrimp if you want to get a mated pair you can I like one per tank because they can get aggressive sometimes.

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:25 PM
do they reproduce?

If you are talking about the coral banded shrimp then yeah they have had babies in captivity but don't count on it because you have to be right there for them to live because they will get sucked in to a filter or eaten by something.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 09:26 PM
i personally like the randalli and bullseye pistols better. i like the coloring

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Are you talking about the pistol with red and white stripes?

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 09:29 PM
bullseye-http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=580&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

randalli-http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=601&parent_category=4&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:33 PM
The randalli is the candy stripe pistol.:cool:For the fish you are going to have I would get the bullseye pistol.

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
This is a good shrimp:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=423&parent_category=4%20&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:38 PM
So are these:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=330&parent_category=4%20&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=331&parent_category=4%20&category_search=63&root_parent_id=4

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Hawk fish lack a swim bladder so that's why the perch on stuff(sit on stuff)so do these clown gobies and these don't bug anything.

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=1300&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=512&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=241&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=582&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 09:59 PM
how long do these shrimp live and do you need to QT them?

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 10:01 PM
They can live up to 8 years and no you don't need to QT them shrimp can't get ich and other fish parasites.

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 10:03 PM
By the way you should stop by OG tommorow when I work we sell everything you want but decorator crabs.Even if you don't want to buy anything still stop by and say hi and meet you in person.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 10:14 PM
do you work weekends? and how much are you guys selling a flame angel for. i will probably pick one up this weekend if my test results are ok. is a FW liquid test work for SW. or do i need to buy a SW tester? and how much are the flame angels? Btw do you sell everything including the fish? or just the inverts? beside the decorator...

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 10:24 PM
You really can put the fish on the list in any order just put the flame angel second last and the yellow tang last.I know I said put the flame angel first but now that I think about it him and the tang are more sensitive so they should be the last ones.So here is a new list:

-flame angel/5th

-royal gramma/1st

-pair of diamond gobies/3rd

-Midas Blenny/2nd

-mated pair perculas/4th

-yellow tang/6th

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 10:26 PM
ok a royal gramma then. how much are those at OG? and do you give store credit for damsels?

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Yes I work this weekend.The flame angels are $39.99,the royal garramas are $16.99,the midas blenny is $29.99,and the diamond gobies are $18.99.The test kit should say if it can be used for salt water if you have the box.

Yeah we give store credit for damsels as long as they aren't the big ones.

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 10:31 PM
ok looks like i need a new one. and the diamond gobies 18.99 for pair or each

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 10:32 PM
$18.99 each

Kscurrr88
05-13-2007, 10:33 PM
k thanks

seahorse_man
05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Are you going to come in?

Kscurrr88
05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
yea do you guys give store credit for FW fish?

seahorse_man
05-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah it depends on what kind of fish.

Kscurrr88
05-15-2007, 06:20 PM
just added new tonga live rock to my tank and it looks great... ill post pics later...and i tested it and everything is 0. amm. nit, nit

anyways i just set up the 29 QT tank with like 10lbs lr from old tank.

also there is a fat mandarin at the lfs and i asked the guy to feed it brine shrimp. and...................he ate it. should i get this as the first fish in my tank as its hard to find a prepared food eaten mandarin?

also i have 4 damsels in the tank...any ideas on how to get them out? thanks

swissfish
05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
just added new tonga live rock to my tank and it looks great... ill post pics later...and i tested it and everything is 0. amm. nit, nit

anyways i just set up the 29 QT tank with like 10lbs lr from old tank.

also there is a fat mandarin at the lfs and i asked the guy to feed it brine shrimp. and...................he ate it. should i get this as the first fish in my tank as its hard to find a prepared food eaten mandarin?

also i have 4 damsels in the tank...any ideas on how to get them out? thanks

No

You will still need an established system to have the pods to feed the mandarin. Just brine will not keep him swimming around your tank.

iVgOnMaD
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
If you really want a mandarin you must make it a goal for next year, so you have a healthy pod population that will not be easily depleted by the mandarin.

You might be able to get away with it if you find one that will eat frozen Mysis shrimp and other frozen foods but would be a pain to spot feed at least 2x a day because mandarins are constantly foraging for food so their metabolism requires constant small meals.

Kscurrr88
05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
i think thats worth it. how do you spot feed? do you need those tongs that hold food or what?

Kscurrr88
05-16-2007, 05:52 PM
the mandarin was sold :( so i got a nice yellow tang and a green brittle star

Kscurrr88
05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
by the way would a potters angel or bicolor be ok in the tank?

swissfish
05-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Angels are usually bad for reefs. read up on green brittle stars.

Kscurrr88
05-16-2007, 08:07 PM
i know they can be aggresive but i doubt any of my fish would be dumb enough to go near it. well see how it goes.

Diver Dan
05-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Take my word NO serpant stars they SUCK they have eaten so many of my shrimp and a couple fish. I regret me putting one in my tank. Right now im in the process of chopping off all of its leggs and feeding them to my lion until the star dies of shock. I cant catch the stupid thing!

Kscurrr88
05-21-2007, 09:10 PM
they suck badly... when i catch it .......its gone