PDA

View Full Version : Electrician's help needed

kim92111
09-18-2004, 11:15 PM
House fusing popping - help
I have my tank in the living room. Every now and then, at least once a week, the fuse on that side of the house pops and I have to reset it.

The electronics are all in line plugged into three outlets (which are in line). I thought it was due to a faulty chiller, but I don't think it's that anymore.

In order, I have a
Outlet #1
chiller (3.5 amps),

Outlet #2
3 250watt Icecaps MH (6.3 amps @ 2.1amps each)
Aquacontroller (? amps)
Tunze Stream (?amps)
2 -55w actinics on ballast (?amps)
400gph powerhead for chiller (?amsp)

Outlet #3
Iwaki MD40RLXT (1.2 amps)
2 sedra pumps for skimmer (amps)
wavemaker w/ 620 Seio + 1200 (? amps)

No other applicances. The entrance light is on sometimes, but not always - connected to that fuse.

That's about it. I'm guessing that the fuse is a 20 amp fuse, but it keeps blowing. If I were to add all the amperage usage by all the appliances on that side, it would be less than 20 amps, but it still blows. Faulty fuse? Any suggestions?

jetor
09-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Stan,

Are you sure it is a 20 amp fuse (it should say on the breaker outside in the fuse box)?

Most curcuits throughout homes are 15 amp unless they are to have alot of lighting on them, even then electricians will try to break them up so you don't get that noticable power draw that causing the lights to dim.

If you could figure out the amps on the other equipment it would help in determining what you need.

I run my tank off of 2 x 20 amp curcuit that I had to run myself after the tank kept popping the single 20 amp. It usually happened when the chiller came on and it was hot outside. I split the chiller and lighting on the two different cuircuits since they were the two major power consumers.

Let me know if you need some more help.

Jasen