PDA

View Full Version : Evaporation Top-Off Replacement Replacement Theory

colindoug3
09-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Yes, I typed replacement twice on purpose. This is my theory of replacing the method we use to replace evaporated water. We all know we replace with fresh water (ro/di) because the salt does not evaporate. Instead of adding fresh water, I would like to try something new. Once water is evaporated the salinity will rise. The water level in the tank will go down. Rather than adding fresh water to about the same level as it was previously, what about taking some of this higher salinity water out of the tank, and replacing with scripps. Would this work in the long run? Has anyone experimented with this method? All replies welcome.

elgordoinavw
09-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Colin, my thought is that slowly you will continue to see your salinity rise

Daniel
09-17-2004, 12:13 AM
i agree. topping off due to evaporation w/freshwater is inevitable... nature does it with rain, we have to do it with ro/di :)

Flamehawk
09-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Assuming script's water is at 1.0235, that means your salinity won't drop below that. It might drop your tank's salinity, but it only will be between script's water and your tank water's salinity. So like they said, eventually it will rise.

Unless you replace large amount of water often, than it might be ok. But we all know that is not going to happen unless you live right on the beach or have a pipe pumping sea water to you. You will get real tired moving those water real quick.