PDA

View Full Version : Sun Polyp Coral, Feeding

Jessy
05-04-2007, 09:07 PM
This is "Pinky" coming out for the first time to feed in it's new home. Hasn't got up the guts to come out yet all the way but we are working on it.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/JessyCat77/Pinky2.jpg

seahorse_man
05-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Looking good,did you get that at OG?Maybe someday it will look like this.:p(sorry the pic isn't that good they are bright orange)

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/seahores_man/DSCN0368.jpg

Jessy
05-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Rub it in why don't you? :) Yes I got it from OG, I think Ron said you liked feeding it alot. It wouldn't come out for the last two days, but I think since it came out a little tonight, it might come out more tomorrow. What do you feed yours? I got these frozen cubes and brine shrimp...is that right? How long does it usually take for them to emerge? Can they eat if they are not fully emerged?

seahorse_man
05-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Sorry you know I'm just kidding.:rolleyes: Yes you can feed it brine shrimp.I feed mine everything my fish and corals eat like;brine,mysis,coral food mix,daphnia,and emerald entree.The trick with these little guys are to put them in high flow,the reason for this is in the wild and captivity when there is flow they think it is time to eat because the small plankton you can't see flows in the current past them.(sorry this is hard to put in words)Anyway good flow, feed them everyday and the more you do this the longer and longer they will stay open.So if you are consistent with the feeding they will get used to it and start to stay open longer and longer.If you squirt a little food on them while closed they will sense that and come out so you can feed them.Ok I need to shut up,sorry for the essay.:p :D :) :o

P.S not to much food in your case remember you don't have a skimmer,only what they eat.

Jordan

Jessy
05-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I rearranged my tank to and put the Powerhead right in the middle of the rock on the back wall. It makes a high flow area where most of my stuff is going to be. Including the sun polyp. And no worries about the essay...I need the help!

seahorse_man
05-05-2007, 07:47 PM
That's why me and everybody are here for, to help.;) Do you have any more ?'s,if so LMK

jaysonsd
05-06-2007, 08:58 AM
and you don't need full expansion to feed 'em, I shut off my powerhead when I see one of the heads putting out a few tentacles and tweezer a mysis by the tentacles, they've learned to grab right on and suck it down quick to outcompete with the brittlestars and shrimp; random feeding times was the trick for me, still be a few more weeks before they open up more regularly during the light cycle

Jessy
05-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Great information THanks!!