PDA

View Full Version : My First Tank: 24 Gal Aquapod

Jessy
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Here it is guys, my first tank all cleared up and ready for life support :) . I don't have much in there yet, just the LR, 3 Chromis, a clean-up crew and a feather duster I just got tonight from OG. I put a PH in the bottom left corner, I hope that was a good thing. I am really just doing stuff I've seen in other successful tanks. I'll post another pic when its actually worth showing off. :D http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/JessyCat77/MyTank.jpg

GINA6ONE9
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
don't add too much too fast, looks good so far. let you rtank cycle.

aznshyguycv
04-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Looks good... whats a PH? hopefully your not rushing things too much :P I know your hands might be itching to buy things but... hopefully you let the tank cycle a bit or at least get a protein skimmer... what are your equipment though? Does it come with a skimmer? And what lighting does it have, etc? Other then that great start.

sdfreshwaterkid
04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
i am looking into a 24 gal aquapod right now. how much did you buy yours for? and as aznshyguycv said, whats your equipment spec xD

Diver Dan
04-30-2007, 08:28 PM
looks good, nice crew, and take it slow. the feather duster and chromis should be ok. but dont go adding a dragoonette or something like that right away!

Jessy
04-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Equipment...hmmm... I am new at this so I don't really know what to call all the stuff. I know I have the Rio 600 PH I bought. And this I will copt off the box... 32W Dual SunPaq Daylight Lamp/ 32W Dual SunPaq Actinic Lamp/German Parabolic Reflector/High CFM Cooling fan/2 x Nocturnal Lunar Lights/ Rear overflow filtration system/ Submersible 290 gph Pump/ Return Nozzle/ Mechanical Sponge Filter/ Adjustable overflow weir plates. There. That is all I know. :) You can see it at http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquapod24.html. I got my tank at OG fo $199. The rest of the money I have put into it (stand, rock, sand, etc) makes me want to cry already. I am not going to put anything else in for a while. I just had to get something to look at for all my hard work. My filtration system could use some feedback. I don't really know what the proper way to do this is, but it came with two big blue sponges and 4 bio balls. I went to OG and they suggested take out bio balls + sponges and just add LR and Carbon. So I did a hybrid. I took out one sponge, (one I am keeping and cleaning often to help filter out the big stuff off the top), added live rock in the filter (in addition to the 25 lbs in my tank) and a bag of carbon, and some fine fluffy filter material to clear up the initial sandy cloudy water (gonna throw this out in a day or two). Does that sound like a decent filter? Or should I just throw out the sponge and carbon and do only LR?

Jessy
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Oh and most of those shells in the pic are empty. :) Had to give my new babies a playground.

sdfreshwaterkid
04-30-2007, 09:30 PM
iam looking to start a nano soon, got any pointers or are you just as new as me =p...msg me on AIM and help a noob out xD

DaChrisDude
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM
PH = PowerHead :)

Very nice looking Jessycat. I ditto what the others have said, take your time and add things slowly.

I would invest in a test-kit, if you don't already have one. Kit should include Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH.

The way you setup your filtration is fine, keep it as is: 1 sponge (which you should rinse out weekly), carbon and LR rubble.

Resist the temptation to leave the shiny new lights on the entire day. :) The longer you leave the lights on the more nuisance algae you will have. At most run the 10K bulb 8hrs/day, the actinics perhaps a little longer before and after. Or, if you're away from the house most of the day, just run the lights when you're at home to enjoy the tank. (If you get corals this will change, but for the time being nothing in there needs light)

aznshyguycv
05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
You might consider getting a skimmer... other then that everything seems great as is... The LR and LS can be obtained pretty cheap off this forum... just to let you know... but as is... just let it run.... Oh and about the 'PH' you might want to put it closer to the top because you'd probably want more surface circulation in order to get better air circulation and not to stir up the sand too much...

seahorse_man
05-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Even though recommended not needed.Just keep up on the water changes,get sandsifting snails or a small sandsifting goby to keep the sand clean,don't overfeed,don't leave the lights on to long(like chris said),rinse your sponge out once a week(like chris said),and don't put to many fish in.:)By the way you can't even put a skimmer in it like we told you when you bought it.:DSo do the above and you will be fine,no matter what some of these people say.:)

P.S-Chris works at a LFS(local fish store)to and deals with this stuff everyday so he is also a good one to ask ?'s.

Jessy
05-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone! I am going to take all the advice I can get. I vowed that I would not go into OG today to buy anything....I've been there everyday since I bought my tank! I heard that they just got a new shipment in, and I am already itching to go check it out.. Just say NO to reefs...their addictive :). I did find some tiny white star fishes that I think are the bad kind that eat the good purple algae... if I see them again I am going to try to extract them.

Jessy
05-01-2007, 01:14 PM
PH = PowerHead :)
I would invest in a test-kit, if you don't already have one. Kit should include Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and PH.

Where do I get a test kit with all this stuff in it and how much will it run? At OG they only have individual test kits for each and they are like $20 a pop...Didn't want to spend that much.

coral diver
05-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Way to go :D Jessy you are now officially addicted :eek: (warning detox will take years of pain and suffering) :( :p :D

Phi165
05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I got a test kit with pH, Ammonia/um, Nitrite, Nitrate for $35.00 at creative aquatics in oceanside. The kit is easy to use and more accurate than test strips.

Jessy
05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks, I picked up a test kit from another guy.