PDA

View Full Version : Scripps water No. County Please!

colindoug3
09-12-2004, 11:17 AM
I walk out to my tank today and all I see is white! What happened? Dead corals? Tank crashed? No, stupid me, I didn't pull the skim out of the prizm soon enough and it overflowed. I am out of Scripp's right now, so I guess I will be heading down to La Jolla so I can do a water change. Stupid thing. It sucked up alot of skim early on. Then it slowed down alot once it was a 1/4 way up. I noticed it was higher earlier in the week but I thought it was no big deal since it goes slowly after initial skim. Bleh!

colindoug3
09-12-2004, 11:18 AM
what i see when i am walking out to do my laundry

colindoug3
09-12-2004, 11:22 AM
top view, poor exposure, everything that came out white is bubbles and skim. :-( If you have a prizm, dont let this happen to you. (edit: i deleted pictures, i just saw the bandwidth deal...)

brahm
09-12-2004, 11:47 AM
looks like a bacteria bloom to me.

GEFRANKLE
09-12-2004, 12:16 PM
If you need to borrow my three 5 Gallon jugs let me know. I will be back home after 3 PM.

George

colindoug3
09-12-2004, 12:31 PM
George, depends, are they full of Scripps? Or empty to take to Scripps. I have buckets, thanks. :-) Colin.

FishProf
09-12-2004, 12:38 PM
I've got a 30 gallon of Scripps in a drum.
Got also some 9 5-gallon plastic jugs [empty]

FP

GEFRANKLE
09-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Mine are empty. Fishprof has 30 gallons on hand per above.

George

M. Parkis
09-12-2004, 02:21 PM
I have about 100 gallons of Scripts water in the back of my truck Your welcome to come over and take what you need....

Mike

colindoug3
09-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for everybodies replies. I ended up going down there anyways, and swimming. While I was there filling up there were some beachgoers rinsing off with it. When I was done there were 2 more people rinsing off with it. I wonder if they know its saltwater. My friend made the good obersvation that it doesn't say anything about it being saltwater. (unless it does and I just wasnt looking)

[G]h0s']['
09-12-2004, 10:37 PM
This happened to me a couple of times. I got too lazy to dump out my skimmer collection cup. Ya might wanna test your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphates just in case and do gradual water changes. Good luck. :)

colindoug3
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Ghost, thanks for the reply. I think I will be more cautious in the future and empty about half full. It was dark when I got home, so I will be doing the water changes tomorrow. Take it easy.

BallZDeeP
09-13-2004, 05:19 AM
my prizm does that too...sometimes it works great..other times It doesnt appear to work. I dont know when I dumped the waste box last

smooth
09-15-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by colindoug3
Thanks for everybodies replies. I ended up going down there anyways, and swimming. While I was there filling up there were some beachgoers rinsing off with it. When I was done there were 2 more people rinsing off with it. I wonder if they know its saltwater. My friend made the good obersvation that it doesn't say anything about it being saltwater. (unless it does and I just wasnt looking)

Yeah, that happened to me this weekend, too.

Two people were rinsing their feet off. A few of us mentioned that it was salt water but they said they wanted to just get the sand off.

I don't know, I guess I wish they would have just brushed the sand off, but that's just my wierd ways about water use.

colindoug3
09-15-2004, 09:33 AM
I was going to tell the people. I figured they were using it for the same reason as you mentioned, and didn't care about it being salt water.

Dannyboy
09-15-2004, 10:49 AM
So from some people's advice here I have started using Scripps water which seems to be great. I have only gone for a total of three times since, but now for the bad news. The second time I was there I sparked up a conversation with a guy that was checking the gauges and emptying some water from a valve blah blah blah... so the guy worked for Scripps. Anyway he told me that they will soon be installing a meter to charge people for the water that is taken. He didn't give, or have an exact date of when it would happen but he said soon so "get it while it's free" was his exact words. I'm not trying t start some stupid rumor but this was straight from an actual employee. I hope it's not too soon since I just started going there but I just thought I'd let everyone know what I was told.

FishProf
09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Okay. I'll try and call the Scripps Institute to get the real story.

FP

Dannyboy
09-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Cool that would be great, let us know

FishProf
09-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Okay. I called the Scripps Institution of Oceanography Public Communication office.

* Currently there are no plans to shut the tap or start charging. They'll notify users before they do something like this [I presume by posting some kind of a notice next to the tap].

* The source of the rumor is their displeasure with having couple of people that came and filled tanker trucks of filtered water. They were contemplating keeping the tap locked and having users knock on their door and ask for the key. Of course, this would be quite inconvenient to those of us who come off-hours.

* I told the lady there that I've seen rufers using the water to wash boards & feet. I suggested: (1) posting a sign telling people that this tap is filtered salt water, and (2) making available to surfers a simple tap water source.
-> She said she'll take up these suggestions to the Manager of Facility, a Ron VanBoxtel. I tried calling him now [858-534-7965] but he was not around.

I suggest [the obvious] that in any interaction with the Scripps people, we [reefers] be nice and remind them how much we appreciate this service and how precious this resource is.

FP

Moloch
09-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info. FP

brahm
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
i think simply picking up the hose and putting it back when were are done is a good start, the other day i was there and the maintnace guy caught me rolling up the hose. He seemed pretty gratefull for taken the extra step to be respectful of there items.

Dannyboy
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Yeah thanks man thats awsome. Glad to hear it was an employee rumor and not fact. Hey Brahm, they are probably pissed cause of the catalina water truck filling up, hahaha

MrKrispy
09-15-2004, 12:49 PM
I was getting water last week at 4:30pm and someone rolled up in a flatbed with a HUGE water tank, like 1000 gallons or something. I didn't want to gripe here in case it was for the Tank Majah or something ;)

MrKrispy
09-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I have a friend that is a Marine Biologist at scripps, I am trying to get real (not anecdotal) info about what actually makes it thru the filters...

pk-sd
09-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by brahm
i think simply picking up the hose and putting it back when were are done is a good start, the other day i was there and the maintnace guy caught me rolling up the hose. He seemed pretty gratefull for taken the extra step to be respectful of there items.

That is a good idea.......we should all do that.

brahm
09-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Dannyboy
Yeah thanks man thats awsome. Glad to hear it was an employee rumor and not fact. Hey Brahm, they are probably pissed cause of the catalina water truck filling up, hahaha

no they alow them to fill up, they open up the big valve, you can get more water if you want. You just have to schedule an appointment to have them unlock the valve, and there is a fee.

smooth
09-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by FishProf
Okay. I called the Scripps Institution of Oceanography Public Communication office.

* Currently there are no plans to shut the tap or start charging. They'll notify users before they do something like this [I presume by posting some kind of a notice next to the tap].

* The source of the rumor is their displeasure with having couple of people that came and filled tanker trucks of filtered water. They were contemplating keeping the tap locked and having users knock on their door and ask for the key. Of course, this would be quite inconvenient to those of us who come off-hours.

* I told the lady there that I've seen rufers using the water to wash boards & feet. I suggested: (1) posting a sign telling people that this tap is filtered salt water, and (2) making available to surfers a simple tap water source.
-> She said she'll take up these suggestions to the Manager of Facility, a Ron VanBoxtel. I tried calling him now [858-534-7965] but he was not around.

I suggest [the obvious] that in any interaction with the Scripps people, we [reefers] be nice and remind them how much we appreciate this service and how precious this resource is.

FP

I thought about this issue of washing feet etc. when I saw the two people doing it. But my opinion became that I would rather they use saltwater than potable water to rinse with. I guess that's what I was referring to when I referenced my weird thoughts on water ;)

FishProf
09-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Yes, I had that tought too. I was wearing my "reefer hat", not the "environmentalist hat" when speaking with her ... [sort of - what's best for SD reefers]. Better not to waste water. On the other hand, filtering consumes resources/energy too ...

FP

colindoug3
09-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks all for info, posts, replies, follow ups and the what not, not to mention the what have you...

AFxPolo
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
where is the salt water tap exactly? Directions would be greatly appreciated.

-Scott

colindoug3
09-16-2004, 10:55 PM
the search feature on this site actually works, unlike ReefCentral... here you are sir http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253&highlight=scripps+directions

Daniel
09-16-2004, 11:15 PM
i work as a lab assistant at SIO, and from what i'm told, that water that comes out of the hose is the same water that they use to house their marine animals in.

so any live animals they keep, they use filtered scripps water. the main reason why the hose is there is for researchers to fill up their tanks whenever they want, in order to conduct their studies. i think that's why the small hose is left unlocked 24/7. they probably didn't expect reefers/surfers to also share the hose...

as long as it's there, we should be grateful for it :)

colindoug3
09-16-2004, 11:25 PM
actually their webpage says we are more than welcome to use it for our personal needs, its not just for the researchers.

"How can I get seawater for my aquarium/business?
The seawater tap at the base of the Scripps Pier is open to the public 24 hours a day. The water is sent through sand filters to remove the larger particles. This is the same seawater used by aquarists at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps. The Scripps Pier is located at the end of Discovery Way. Take La Jolla Shores Drive to the Naga Way entrance; turn west onto Naga Way; at the split, turn left to continue on Naga Way; at the stop sign, turn right onto Discovery Way; the pier will be directly in front of you and the tap is to the left of the pier entrance. If you have further questions about the seawater tap, please e-mail the aquarists at Birch Aquarium at Scripps: aquariuminfo@ucsd.edu"

If you are interested, this information (and other scripps info) was found here (http://sio.ucsd.edu/about/faq.cfm#question16)

pk-sd
09-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Good find colindoug. I guess that kind of settles it.
Its free and its for public use also.
:)

ricestudios
09-17-2004, 09:57 AM
http://www.ricestudios.com/scrippswater.jpg