PDA

View Full Version : Fish Trap

ricestudios
09-10-2004, 10:01 AM
does anyone have a fish trap i can borrow? i need to catch my skunk clown. i dont like it anymore! lol

REEFWAVE
09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
every trap, trick and method i have tried usually failed misserably. in the end when i needed to catch a problematic fish there have been only two ways that have worked for me.

1) remove coral, and rock and net fish......ahhhhh (pain i the a$$)

2) take a tiny barbless hook, a little fishing string, and some of its favorite food (i used mysiss shrimp). i let the fish just get the hook in its mouth then set it quickly to avoid it swallowing then just pull it out and remov the barbless hook with needle nose pliers (which are more for just getting a handle on the tiny hook than anything as no force was need to remove it). the fish was fine and i was saved alot of frustration. i will say if you can in any way use the first method or whatever works for you, but if your in need of him outta there and it is virtually impossible to catch or dissmantle the tank then this is just crazy enough to work...(i know i tried).
good luck and happy catching.

CALBear
09-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Ron at OG's has a plexiglass trap you can rent for a few days.

I have used it a few times in big tanks where moving rock is impossible. It has fishing line attached to the door with 20 feet of line.

This is how I used it with success:
Feed frozen brine into the trap (I used a syringe) for a few days, dont try to catch the fish for at least a day, let them get used to it. Then feed and walk to the other side of the room with the fishing line trap taught so you just have to let go of it and drop the door down.....works great and doesnt have a significant cost to it