PDA

View Full Version : Are You for Scuba?!?

cjpsparks
04-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I've got a proposition for any scuba people out there:

Good: My friend has a 34 foot sail boat. We want to go diving. We're going to be certified soon.

Bad: We have no diving equipment.

1) If you know of anybody selling their scuba equipment ***please*** let me know.
2) If you know of some good diving spots we'll take you out.

LUBEN!! Are you for scuba?!?

Redeye
04-02-2007, 03:11 PM
I had a blast at the coronado islands in mexico, sharks, seals, eels, and tons of critters crawling about

I a wuss though, this california water is FRIGGIN COLD once you get down to 60-100 feet
I want a dry suit...

crstjohn
04-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I can't help you out with the first issue and really only shore dive here but I could offer you the invaluable addition of a seasoned diver:)

Redeye
04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
one-eyed jack only costs like $50-60 if I remember correctly, for a boat trip to coronado's

one eye is across the street from the Dana Inn

coral diver
04-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Honestly no clue around San Diego and the neighboring places the irony is i work for one of the biggest Diving manufacturer in the world 15 years and more than 500 hours under my belt and that was 10 years ago

Redeye
04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
hook it up with some discounts then, no way I can afford gear at these local prices!

coral diver
04-02-2007, 06:16 PM
unfortunately we donot sell direct to the public Ocean Enterprise carry our complete line or you can go to our web site www.scubapro.com and like the old saying you get what you pay for the price of our product is no joke

Redeye
04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
I love Ocean Enterprise

Never go to Aqua Tech, they almost got us (my lady and I) Killed, did'nt even say sorry, and only gave us a partial refund
******* them

Happy to hear you work for them, from a previous correspondence I thought you were a Cop:)
Maybe not, but I'll buy your "old" dive computer when you upgrade

coral diver
04-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Well that to back in the Philippines

cjpsparks
04-04-2007, 02:10 PM
crstjohn- I'll definitely let you know when we're all geared up and ready to go out. It's always nice to have an experienced diver along. Thanks.

SanDiegoReefs
04-06-2007, 01:35 AM
LUBEN!! Are you for scuba?!?
Hahaha... I saw the title of this thread and fell out of my chair.

I think you should take me out on the sail boat with you.

Oh, but I need to get certified first.

rlh
04-06-2007, 07:09 AM
haven't been diving for years. :( was certified as an insructor w/ nasds (that will give you an idea of how long ago) but if you need a skipper or crew i'm in. been sailing for 24 years 6pac for 6yrs and 100 ton for 2yrs. lmk :)

victortrav
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
ive got a buddy here at work that dives alot too hey has a small 17' and he is willing to take ppl out for a very small fee

surferdave
04-06-2007, 08:16 AM
This'll probabaly go ove rlike a lead balloon w/the scuba guys, but my $0.02 ......

Dont bother with scuba. Just freedive - no, not snorkel. Freedive. Learn to hold your breath for a couple of minutes - it's really not that hard, and invest in a good pair of freediving fins.

Even an average diver can explore just about anywhere shallower than 50 feet, and good divers can go much deeper and the bonus is you see WAY more life. SCUBA is loud - yes you will see a lot on SCUBA, but you see infinitly more when you are silent. Also, you move more freely, you save literally thousands of dollars in equipment cost, and you can spend way more time in the water.

I'm scuba certified, but the only time i bother with blowing bubbles is when I go cave diving. Other than that, its just not worth it (IMO).

Check craigslist for cheap equipment. When buying tanks, chesk to see their last hydro test date. Also keep in mind when buying used tanks that no dive shops in SD will hydro or fill older alminum tanks.

lucubrator
04-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Freedive? Psh, rebreather! MORE equipment MORE complexity, AND you're silent. Never mind that things can explode, they're SILENT!

coral diver
04-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Free diving is more dangerus if you dont know what your doing you can only hold your breath for a few minute and there's only one deco chamber in southern CA fortunately its close by with diving you can enjoy the under water world and diver dont need real expensive equipment to dive just a reliable one and well knowlagable instructor to teach you the profer way to dive i've been in the diving industry for 20 years and i've seen alot of accident and yes dead becouse diver dont follow the rule even season diver so please for the diver and the prosfecting people follow the rule of tumb and save your self from the aggony of nitronorcosis and the chamber or death dive safe just a freindly reminder from yours truelly

treylane
04-06-2007, 09:42 AM
*** are you talking about, coral diver? Do you have any idea? Have you ever even taken a scuba or freediving class?

coral diver
04-06-2007, 09:49 AM
*** are you talking about, coral diver? Do you have any idea? Have you ever even taken a scuba or freediving class?
Yes and Yes and plus more I am the person incharge of Quality and the performance of our product if you dive then you know the brand SCUBAPRO giving advice to the people who's reading this topic who is in to diving and want to learn to dive

pitfish
04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
It takes practice to be a good freediver, whereas all you need is a weekend of classes and some basic knowledge to recreation dive. SCUBA starts getting complex when people start cave or wreck (among other specialties) diving, but recreation scuba-diving is easy instant gratification.

I like trying to freedive while offgassing between dives, but having to come up for air just when you see something cool is a pain. With scuba-diving you can just sit/hover in one place for 40 minutes (ie. manta ray diving, cleaning station watching) and watch the life around you.

treylane
04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
A few of the Deco chambers in Cali:
http://scuba-doc.com/divcal.htm

Nitrogen Narcosis isn't a health risk in itself. Certainly not agonizing. Perhaps you meant decompression sickness? Perhaps you shouldn't be rambling about diving when you can't get your facts straight?

Note to self: Don't buy anything from ScubaPro.

coral diver
04-06-2007, 10:03 AM
nitrogen narcosis is bulble being pruduce in your blood when you donnot proferlly deco and is it not agonizing to seat in the chamber for so many hours plus the discomfort have you had one?

treylane
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_narcosis

coral diver
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Well did you read the topic that why its dangerus if they dont follow the rules of deco and i never did try tri mix only nitrox

surferdave
04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Free diving is more dangerus if you dont know what your doing you can only hold your breath for a few minute and there's only one deco chamber in southern CA fortunately its close by with diving you can enjoy the under water world and diver dont need real expensive equipment to dive just a reliable one and well knowlagable instructor to teach you the profer way to dive i've been in the diving industry for 20 years and i've seen alot of accident and yes dead becouse diver dont follow the rule even season diver so please for the diver and the prosfecting people follow the rule of tumb and save your self from the aggony of nitronorcosis and the chamber or death dive safe just a freindly reminder from yours truelly

Bad air fills result in brain damage and the loss of ability to punctuate.

Yet another reason to freedive!:D

JK CD - Seriously. No offense intended.

To rebut - yes, there is only 1 deco chamber in socal. Good thing you CANT get bent freediving. Unfortunatly, if you do get bent SCUBA diving, you're one very expensive life flight from the only deco chamber - better hope its not already full...

Even cheap, reliable scuba equipment is still WAAAY more expensive than freediving gear, heavier, and just more of a P.I.T.A. Plus you gotta pay for air fills too.

Nitro narcing only happens with SCUBA too - another benifit of freediving!

DaveMorris
04-07-2007, 01:56 AM
According to Treylane's post above, I count four chambers in San Diego, one in Temecula, and one in Wildomar. There are also a number of health conditions that can prevent one from free diving, but not SCUBA. To each his own....

surferdave
04-07-2007, 02:52 PM
. There are also a number of health conditions that can prevent one from free diving, but not SCUBA.

Health conditions such as?

Seriously. The folowing is opinion of a professional, and by that i mean someone who has worked as an ocean lifeguard for 10+ years and a paramedic or emt for more than 15 years.

If you have a health condition that prevents you from freediving, you have NO BUISNESS WHATSOEVER Scuba diving.

Think about it. scuba gear is much heavier, more cumbersome and there is way more to go wrong with it. If you aren't physicaly fit enough to go freediving, what makes you think you can swim around with alll that extra crap on you? If you can't hold your breath, what are you gonna do when there is a gear malfunction. If you are really inexperienced in the ocean, how are you going to deal with your first crisis? Are you gonna use that incredible wealth of knowledge you picked up in your 2 day open water 1 class?

No, you are going to panic and get hurt.

(can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?)

I can honestly say I've lost count of the times i've seen inexperienced, non ocean oriented divers fresh out of class nealry having a heart attack just getting their gear on. They then swim about 60 yards offshore, become exhausted, panic, and call for rescue. Or worse yet, they get 200 yards out and 70 feet down, panic, and get hurt or die. I have seen this happen orders of magnitude more than i have seen freediving injuries.

The schools that teach SCUBA around southern caifornia dont require people to show they have the physical strength required to dive safe. Why? well, when they get about 1500 to 2500 bucks in gear sales for each student, it becomes pretty obvious.

SCUBA diving is Dangerous. It is also big buisness. Unfortunatly, it seems that in the majority of cases, the buisness side wins out over the safety side.

I have no beef withn people preferring to freediving. I do however have a major problem with people picking SCUBA because they think it's instant gratification without consequence or danger. It's very true - 2 days of class and you can be diving to 60 feet on scuba, wheras it takes a long time to gain the skill (if ever) to do that freediving. The thing is, to freedive well, you have to condition your body to be able to actually do it. It is self limiting, and that imposes a bar of safety. SCUBA classes are like giving a 16 year old a 2 day driving course and then handing them the keys to a porsch and sending em out onto the freeway.

DaveMorris
04-07-2007, 05:28 PM
By health conditions I mean that due to the size of my sinus tubes/cavities, my doctor told me that I should not dive at all. But if I insisted, he told me to only do SCUBA because by breathing it would keep the pressure down in my sinus. I don't know much about the effects of scuba driving or freediving on the body, but when my doctor tells me things like that, I tend to believe him. I also completely agree with the fact that too many people enter into the sport of diving way too fast and put themselves at a tremendous risk by not getting appropriate training.

MrKrispy
04-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Many scuba places will not let you dive with them if you have a number of common diseases, including heart disease, diabetes, etc...