PDA

View Full Version : HD TV Question...

Yolo
04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
OK...so I bought a HD Ready Plasma...worked fine getting channels 6.1 and 8.1 when I directly connected it. Then I ordered "digital" cable from Cox, they shipped me out the box, but the TV does not recognize channels 701 thru 711 (which are the High Def channels)... I am not looking forward to calling Cox. Any ideas? I am getting all the HBO, Showtime, etc channels for free...wondering if I have to call in? On a side note, those channels are pretty interesting late at night...

ocean1
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Ya you have to call and add the high def package had the same problem.Worth it though those high def channels like nothing else.

SECTER1
04-01-2007, 06:35 PM
OK...so I bought a HD Ready Plasma...worked fine getting channels 6.1 and 8.1 when I directly connected it. Then I ordered "digital" cable from Cox, they shipped me out the box, but the TV does not recognize channels 701 thru 711 (which are the High Def channels)... I am not looking forward to calling Cox. Any ideas? I am getting all the HBO, Showtime, etc channels for free...wondering if I have to call in? On a side note, those channels are pretty interesting late at night...

Sounds like they may of sent you the wrong box...Sounds like they sent you the DVR box. Did the box you got have the HDMI hook up?

treylane
04-01-2007, 06:39 PM
hi def and digital tv are different services, different cable boxes.

pitfish
04-01-2007, 06:48 PM
On a side note, those channels are pretty interesting late at night...

You'll definitely want the HD when the football season starts back up. That and the new "Planet Earth" series is awesome in HD. But until then, I'd enjoy the more interesting movie channels :P

Yolo
04-02-2007, 07:35 AM
I think they did send me a DVR box since it has record features...I already have the TIVO. If I direct connect the service to the TV I get some of the 6.1, 8.1, 39.1 High Def channels...

(Yeah I am TIVOing all the Earth series)

I'll check it out again when I get home tonight, I'll call them today.

Thanks guys

M

pk-sd
04-02-2007, 07:36 AM
You should also look into HD DVR box from Dish Network. Over 30 channels in HD. There is no fun in having HD programming if cannot pause, rewind and record.

Here is the list.

A&E HD
Animania HD
Discovery HD Theater
DISH Network PPV in HD
Equator HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
Family Room HD
Film Fest HD
Food Network HD
GamePlay HD
Gallery HD
HBO HD*
HDNet
HDNet Movies
HDNews
HGTV HD
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
National Geographic Channel HD*
NFL Network HD
Rave HD
Rush HD
Showtime HD*
Starz HDTV*
TNT HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD
Universal HD
World Cinema HD
WorldSport HD

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/programming/index.shtml

DaveMorris
04-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey Mike,

Cox may have to come out and remove the filter from your cable line. Usually they put a freq. filter on the line to block what you don't need/pay for. If you ordered the HD box from them, I am sure that they are already set up to bill you for the HD package. I got it when it first came out and it is worth it just for the Padres games. Last season 104 of their 162 games were in HD with excellant audio. That is something you won't get with Dish Network.

mojoreason
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
COX SUCKS! That's why!! Blame it all on that lousy company. Honestly, bag that set-up and switch to someone else ... I use DISH.

You should also look into HD DVR box from Dish Network. Over 30 channels in HD.

I have the brand new VIP622 HD DVR receiver box that Dish came out with recently & it has all of the expanded HD channels like PK said & you can record. Prior to this, a year and a half ago, they said I'd have to purchase my own DVR receiver to the tune of $1000.

Anyway ... dump Cox.

That is something you won't get with Dish Network.

GO TO PETCO!!!! Support our National League Champs ... don't watch it on television. You can get a cheap seat for next to nothing.

swissfish
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
but the hot dog and the beer will cost you a arm and a leg.

Mike PM me if you have more problems.

Yolo
04-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll try all of this and get back to you later tonight...yeah that Sound is pretty incredible. Those guys hitting the rim on dunks during the NCAAs was clearly outstanding, caught me by surprise a couple of times, had to check behind the TV to see if there was a guy standing there smacking a rim!

SECTER1
04-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Can't stand dish. I hat e to navagate that guide.

pk-sd
04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Can't stand dish. I hat e to navagate that guide.

Yeah I hate it also. Too many damn channels.

Yolo
04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
I spent a few minutes on the phone, and after being transferred 4 times I started a conversation with COX...they basically sent me the wrong box. Since it came with a return label, packing tape and bubble plastic I'm guessing it happens more than not. Instead of dealing with the operator and paying a $15 surcharge, its free if you order online. So I ordered a HD box and am returning the other one they sent me.

I now have a remote for my DVD player, the Cox box, my TV, my AC unit...all I need is one for the coffee maker and I'm good to go. Have to keep them on top of each of the units to not confuse anyone.

Think the extra service above my basic cable was $9 a month...

Need to compare that against Sat TV to compare what I'm getting for $58 a month from Cox....but that appears to be another thread.

m

SolRo
04-02-2007, 06:42 PM
You also need an HD DVR unit if you want to record shows. Unless you already have one of the new tivos that records HD, the older ones don't.

DaveMorris
04-02-2007, 07:48 PM
The label and shipping stuff they send is to send them your old box. I just handled it at the main office. I have the HD DVR and it is far superior to the DN hardware. And it is free and fully covered against failure. I too hated trying to deal with the channel line up on DN. Admittedly I didn't give it a lot of time. As far as the Padres games go, I do attend many of them in person. I also DVR them because I am the guy that is always getting a hot dog when something cool happens.

Redeye
04-02-2007, 07:51 PM
don't forget, cable internet usally goes up if you cancel TV:P

DaveMorris
04-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I get the extra special discount - TV, Phone, and Internet.

pk-sd
04-03-2007, 07:06 AM
SD (Standard Definition) channels look much better from satellite. Not getting Channel 4 Padres is probably the only drawback of going with Dish. I guess I will just have to add cable during summer so that I watch Padres in HD.

DaveMorris
04-03-2007, 08:31 AM
My satellite experiences were with DirecTV. They suck. Never could get decent picture when it was stormy. They came out five times and couldn't aim the dish right. Dish Network must be better at it.

lucubrator
04-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Is anyone using OTA stuff, or do you all pay to watch the magic crystal box?

pk-sd
04-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Is anyone using OTA stuff, or do you all pay to watch the magic crystal box?

There is a local HDTV forum which should be able answer your OTA(or any other) HD questions. I never tried connecting an antenna to my TV.

http://hdtv.forsandiego.com/

MrKrispy
04-04-2007, 10:31 AM
say hi to me when you are there!