PDA

View Full Version : Just set up a 30g planted

bhg
03-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Just thought of trying another planted tank. Set up this one today.

iVgOnMaD
03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
its going to fill in sweet. good job, what type of lighting? How are you dosing the co2 diy or from a tank?

iVgOnMaD
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Instead of that big CO2 diffuser, use one of this on the "out" hose of your cannister filter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Plants-External-Internal-CO2-Diffuser-CD-01_W0QQitemZ320095896966QQcategoryZ66794QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

btw, you can still use the spraybar.

bhg
03-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Thankss for the link. I have read about that method, but have not tried it yet. I got this DIY stuff from PK here, and it worked quite well. Next week I will try to inject CO2 directly to Canister filter.

I am using a 130W PC light for this (2X65W)

iVgOnMaD
03-25-2007, 09:47 PM
not through the cannister, its bad for the good bacteria that live in there, do it on the "out" hose, or the way you have it now.

Plus, some impellers will get damaged from trapped air bubbles.

iVgOnMaD
03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
here is another link that might interest you...

http://okcaa.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=579

DaChrisDude
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Wow, very nice Jay! Like the landscaping and plant selection, very beautiful! Makes me want a planted tank too... lol

iVgOnMaD
03-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I got this off another forum, it works great.

"Here's what I do. I take a 2 liter bottle that has been cleaned really well. Make 2 full batches of jello in a mixing bowl but I add about 4 cups of sugar in with the hot liquid so I dissolves really well. Then pour the mixture in to the 2 liter bottle. But don't fill it past 3/4 full. You'll want to keep it a couple of inches below the curved part of the bottle. Then you let the jello set in the fridge for a night. The next day you take a package of yeast from wally world and mix it with a quater cup of water and I think 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let it sit for 10 minutes so you can make sure it's good and hydrated/activated (the directions for making sure the yeast is activated is printed on the packages of yeast). Once you are sure the yeast mixture is active pour it in on top of your jello mixture and you should have instant CO2. I tried this with a 1 liter bottle and I got it to produce CO2 for almost 4 months. Then I upgraded up to a 2 liter and it's still bubbling.

Just make sure you leave enough room above the jello for the yeast mixture and for the bubbles so they don't go up your tube and into you tank."

You can find this on a link posted previously.

Bruce
03-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Dude you need to get the java fern out of the substrate. The rhizome will rot if you bury it in the sand. It grows best attached to a rock or wood.

Bruce

bhg
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks, Bruce. I was going to do that, but could not find a string to tie it yesterday. Will do it tonight.:)
Thanks to IvgOnMad for all the suggestions

Bruce
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Fishing line works great for fern tying and it is easy to remove after the plant attaches itself.