PDA

View Full Version : new 90, starting up reef

SeanG
03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
just got a 90 gal. tank and started with 80 lbs of live sand and 20 lbs of crushed coral. then put in about 40 lbs. of live rock, cycled and added some damsels, hermits, crabs, and a fire shrimp. running under T5's with a protien skimmer and power head. just seeing if anyone had any advice for building a reef and what to add in the beginning. the whole setup has only been running for a month, which i know is nothing! thanks for any advice...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/seanguerrero/fishtank013.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/seanguerrero/fishtank024.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/seanguerrero/fishtank026.jpg

Mr.Chewbacca
03-21-2007, 09:39 PM
nice aquascaping trhere

Jett
03-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Looks good so far, if you're looking for advice: add a sump and refugium. I started my 40g with a 10g sump. Well, thats not making me happy, so I'm upgrading to a 20g sump/fuge to grow macro and pods.

SECTER1
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Some of your rock work looks like it is being doing a balancing act. If you decide to get a good sice fish or star fish he may knock it down. With that in mind I would go get another 80lbs of live rock so your filtration will be set. And I agree on the sump fuge thing. I have a 40 with no sump or fuge and I wish I did it right. Right now I am looking to up grade to a 100. Good luck;)

SECTER1
Some of your rock work looks like it is being doing a balancing act. If you decide to get a good size fish or star fish he may knock it down. With that in mind I would go get another 80lbs of live rock so your filtration will be set. And I agree on the sump fuge thing. I have a 40 with no sump or fuge and I wish I did it right. Right now I am looking to up grade to a 100. Good luck;)

SECTER1
Some of your rock work looks like it is being doing a balancing act. If you decide to get a good size fish or star fish he may knock it down. With that in mind I would go get another 80lbs of live rock so your filtration will be set. And I agree on the sump fuge thing. I have a 40 with no sump or fuge and I wish I did it right. Right now I am looking to up grade to a 100. Good luck;)

Gills Kid
03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I would do a colt or a nice big LT anemone to put in one of those caves..

GINA6ONE9
03-22-2007, 07:21 AM
u have an anenome in there already? it might be too soon

SeanG
03-22-2007, 10:09 PM
thanks for all the great advice, and yes i do need a sump and a refugium but i dont know alot about them and how they work, how do i get all of that started???

Jett
03-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Basically you drain water from your main tank into your sump, goes through your filter sock, protein skimmer and anything else you might run, then into a return pump to your main tank. Its basically a basement to keep all the equipment. It adds water volume making the tank more stable as well. When you also make it a refugium you are adding additional biological filtration. This is done with live rock and or macro algea like chaeto. You'll need to light the fuge if you want macro.

What specifically do you want to know?