PDA

View Full Version : got one started

reddog-reef
03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
well i finally got a reef, or rather a SW tank started. trying to add corals. Im building the canpy right now, and going to buy my T5's soon. still looking to add more corals and maybe some more LR. Contributions are welcome :). i do have a lot of brown algae that im hoping will go away when i pick up more snails, and change my lights. dont be too hard on me lol! i still want to add alot to it, and eventually im going to upgrade to a HOB filter/skimmer like a bak pak or something. any suggestions feel free!

Ben

CBlanks
03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Questions:
1) How long has your tank been running?
2) Have you considered adding a background?
3) What are you using for filtration?
4) What is your current lighting situation?
5) How many gallons is this tank?

Other than that good start. Take it easy and get your CUC in there to take care of the diatoms. Good luck!

aznshyguycv
03-19-2007, 05:38 PM
with the amount of red algae u got i recommend using chemi-clean before your corals get snuffed out... :P Dont rush the putting of corals in... take care of your algae situation first... and get your lights up and your skimmer up first before considering putting more corals... because you have relatively few corals... you can bring the rocks out and scrub them down with a brush or something and put them back into your system to facilitate the process...

cagirly2006
03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
yes definetely wait for that algae to go away. Dont worry it happens to every tank that is new, they all get and algae break out but it will go away...Good start, and i would defeinetly get a skimmer soon.

reddog-reef
03-19-2007, 05:49 PM
well since im on a budget, im still saving for the skimmer and the lights. my current lighting as a 18" 10k oceansun bulb, and a 10w powercomapct 50/50. i really only ahve 3 rocks with red algae. at first i thought it was cyano, but it hasnt spread at all..... but i will take them out tonight and scrub. i have a HOB filter right now, and its 20 gallons. i have 2 powerheads. ones a rio50, and the other is a maxi 900. my tank has been running now for a little over 2 months. nothing is having problems right now as far as corals, theyre always open at what not. i have been doing a ton of reading, but havent found much on my algae............thought htat was kinda weird lol. yes im going to add a background. as soon as i run into some money im getting the filter/skimmer combo, and lights. which should be in a couple weeks or so. :) ive also read that a skimmer isnt necesarry if you doo good water changes at the right times. i do one every two weeks. so i have been holding off on the skimmer and saving my money. thanks for the help.

CNCreefer
03-19-2007, 06:10 PM
ive also read that a skimmer isnt necesarry if you doo good water changes at the right times. i do one every two weeks. so i have been holding off on the skimmer and saving my money. thanks for the help.
A skimmer is probably the one most important piece of equipment for your tank besides lights and powerheads. I don't think I would have the success with corals that I do if I didn't have the skimmer.
You should be able to snag one off the boards for a good price, people are always offering them up for sale. If you run a HOB power filter just fill it up with live rock pieces, no filter cartridge. Your rock and sand will take care of your biological filtration.
Good luck with the new tank. Yours looks better than mine did when it was 2 months old ;)

cagirly2006
03-19-2007, 06:43 PM
yeah u CAN do w.o a skimmer, but it would be better with one especailly while u just starting out, MAYBE after i say 6 months to a year when it is super steady and stuff then if you reallydidnt want a skimmer i would think that may be better.

reddog-reef
03-19-2007, 06:51 PM
im looking for a 24" t5 fixture that holds two tubes so if someone is selling a 24" double fixture im interested. i found one online for $35 with 7 dollar shipping. so id like to find one for cheaper here. that i could probobly buy this weekend. but ill have to wait for the skilter. if anyone has some junk lying around lol id be happy to take it! thanks oh and i scrubbed off most of the brown diatoms and alot of the red algae. and replaced the filterpad in my HOB with LR rubble i had in my tank. so hopefully im doin stuff right :) anything else i should be told???

aznshyguycv
03-19-2007, 06:55 PM
i feel that a skimmer is very very important... one of the 3 most needed... one being light, one being water motion... so yeah... i do a 20% water change every week and i still desperately need my skimmer... dunno where i would be without it.

reddog-reef
03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
well as i said im going to be gettin an bakpak or the likes, but its is going to take me time. i unfortuanatelly cant pull money out of the air (i wish i could lol). but lighting right now seems more important to me. what do you think? lighting or skilter first?

cagirly2006
03-19-2007, 07:33 PM
skimmer first, corals will thrive on PC's for now.

reddog-reef
03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
ive got this in mind. does it sound good or bad?http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/protein_skimmers_rionano.htm

CNCreefer
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Go bigger. that skimmer is good up to 20 gal. If it's a 20 gal. tank, get one rated for 80 or 90 gal. It's better to have too much skimmer than not enough.

reddog-reef
03-19-2007, 08:31 PM
my next question is if i buy a regular coralife 24" double T5 fixture, can i put VHO T5 bulbs in it??? or am i mixing stuff up??? lol

FlipCyd
03-19-2007, 09:31 PM
if u r on a budget check out www. aquatraders.com, u can get a cpr bak pak clone for cheap. or u could get a refugium w/ a skimmer.

i'm sure u already know, that lighting depends on what kind of corals u are planning on having. if u plan on soft corals and lps, i would get the 24" 130w power compact from aquatraders. i bought that 24" pc fixture from there and it worked great on my 26gal. until my wife killed my tank:( :mad: .