PDA

View Full Version : Any Firefox users. I got ?'s

ilikualot
03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I just switched over to firefox due to being fristrated with IE. There are a couple questions I have:

1. The first one is regarding SDREEFS. On IE I sign in and it keeps me signed in the whole time. On Firefox I sign in and go to forums and it signs me out. Is there a way to make it keep me signed in at all times. I have already checke dthe remember me button.

2.) On some websites that I use for work my signin doesnt seem to work when I am in firefox. Is this possible? I use IE and it works then switch to firefox and it wont let me sign in.

If you got the answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Big Brother
03-14-2007, 09:45 AM
number one has something to do with how you have your cookies set up...

victortrav
03-14-2007, 09:50 AM
i use firefox for everything but work when logging in on sdreefs i check the remember me box and the dialog box to remember password in the options under privacy have your "always clear my private data when i close.." unchecked
under security check "remember passwords for sites"
hope this helps if not we can figure it out

ilikualot
03-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Ok now it works!!!

I had to check the accept cookies. Thanks for your help. I am excited about using Firefox for the spell check alone!!!!

Fmellish
03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
As far as #1, it's a bug in this particular forum software. Lots of sites use this forum software, I believe it is an off the shelf product, and it is just glitchy with Firefox. Sometimes you log in and the log in boxes are still present. It's as if it didn't recognize that you are logged in, even though you are, and even though you can make posts. It may be cookies, but by default I believe Firefox accepts cookies. You'll need to check the cookie settings.

As far as #2, Firefox doesn't support NTLM "challenge/response" passthrough authentication by default. This was a proprietary MS technology. I can't say this is your issue, but if you visit a site that works in IE, but in Firefox prompts you for credentials, NTLM is most likely being used. Though NTLM is seldomly used on public facing websites anymore, but you used the terms "For Work". In intranet envieonrments, NTLM authentication is still rampant. BTW as of Firefox 2 I believe NTLM can be emulated if turned on through a command line switch.

As far as websites buggy in Firefox; IE renders broken HTML, and it has been around for so long, that the software community in general has become lax in writing good solid code.

Bottom line
A) Stick with Firefox, even if some sites act weird in it.
B) Firefox will never work well with "websites within your company". Intranet web apps are notoriously written to be IE specific. This is because NTLM allows for easy authentication of users logged into the domain.
c) IE is total cr@p. It's insecure, it's buggy. ActiveX is a joke, and now IE7 tries to put all sorts of resitrctions on ACtiveX just like Vista puts on running system programs. It's all a mess.

Sorry for not really helping. The forum has bugs.

Cheers
Josh

lucubrator
03-14-2007, 11:03 AM
c) IE is total cr@p. It's insecure, it's buggy. ActiveX is a joke, and now IE7 tries to put all sorts of resitrctions on ACtiveX just like Vista puts on running system programs. It's all a mess.

Add to that the poor implementation of tabbed browsing, the weaksauce search function, and the RSS where you have to go to a page to see the updates. Oh yeah, and no "copy image location" option.

jrjuiliano
03-14-2007, 12:09 PM
As far as #2, Firefox doesn't support NTLM "challenge/response" passthrough authentication by default. This was a proprietary MS technology. I can't say this is your issue, but if you visit a site that works in IE, but in Firefox prompts you for credentials, NTLM is most likely being used. Though NTLM is seldomly used on public facing websites anymore, but you used the terms "For Work". In intranet envieonrments, NTLM authentication is still rampant. BTW as of Firefox 2 I believe NTLM can be emulated if turned on through a command line switch.

Don't forget ActiveX controls. I'm sure there's a plugin available for firefox, but mostly, if it involves ActiveX, we use IE. For everything else we use firefox.

Of course, for those sites, you can always create a desktop shortcut, and do your other browsing with firefox.

JR

Big Brother
03-14-2007, 12:29 PM
As far as #1, it's a bug in this particular forum software. Lots of sites use this forum software, I believe it is an off the shelf product, and it is just glitchy with Firefox. Sometimes you log in and the log in boxes are still present. It's as if it didn't recognize that you are logged in, even though you are, and even though you can make posts. It may be cookies, but by default I believe Firefox accepts cookies. You'll need to check the cookie settings.

actually its a free program. you can download it off the internet, though i believe moore purchased special rights to it. i believe its called vbulletin. there are a million like it out there.

i used to use it on alot of sites :)