PDA

View Full Version : 100g Remodel/update

Wulfhound
03-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey all,

Yesterday I tore dwn my 100g to remove a problem tang :( and then got new live sand and rebuilt my reef:eek: the first three are from left to right in the tank and the last is the almost full shot. thanks to all for sugestions and help all is appreciated.

This turned out better than I thought it would and the fish seem alot happier as well as the hermits and stars with the new sand bed:D

Any comments welcome, and Thanks

Todd

cagirly2006
03-07-2007, 11:38 AM
looks awesome!!! post a pic of what it looked like before...I was thinking about doing what you did with rocks on each back corner of the tank, because i upgraded my tank last weeked, but we didnt have enough rocks to do it right and since it is only 13 inches wide, it looked to retarded!! LOL

but yeah i wanna see what it looked like before? Did you get the coral beauty situated in its new 100 gallon home yet? I bet he will be happy to get out of that 10 gallon. HAHA

Wulfhound
03-07-2007, 11:45 AM
looks awesome!!!
but yeah i wanna see what it looked like before? Did you get the coral beauty situated in its new 100 gallon home yet? I bet he will be happy to get out of that 10 gallon. HAHA

Here's an older shot (before), and yes the CB is in the 100g and is still in hiding mode but happy:D couple more days and he will be out for the world to see

Thanks Ashley
Todd

iwantone
03-07-2007, 12:21 PM
You may want to try making pvc tripods to keep the rock off the sand. You can also us small amounts of pvc and epoxy to space your rocks more open and away from the glass. I think that detritus build-up otherwise is on the horizon. It will also help give you more height and stability to your rocks...

Wulfhound
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
You may want to try making pvc tripods to keep the rock off the sand. You can also us small amounts of pvc and epoxy to space your rocks more open and away from the glass. I think that detritus build-up otherwise is on the horizon. It will also help give you more height and stability to your rocks...

Thanks but almost all of the rock u see is huge especialy the left corner all are at least a foot tall+. why do I need to raise the rock off the sand? when the roock bases are on the plexiglass bottom and the sand is laid around it?

all the rock is stable. when I place the rock piles together I push pretty hard to make sure they cant fall due to this I have broken some corals and peices of rock just making sure for tight snug fit. The placement of the rocks has created lots of caverns and hiding places.

There is enough room for me to scrape the glass and use mag cleaner.

Wulfhound
03-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Comments? ne one

Nick_Kun
03-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Looks good, I like the open space better.

Wulfhound
03-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Looks good, I like the open space better.

Thanks Emoezekielsr5. I do too

DaChrisDude
03-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Todd - very nice. I like that yellow Gorgonian, did you pick that up at Fish haven in the last few days? Holy crap that's a huge red brain to the right and back of the gorgonian! Dang!

iwantone's comment about raising the rocks up off the sand was because the way the rocks are now, its likely that detritus will collect behind/underneath them since there is little flow below/behind the rocks. Many people raise the rocks ~1/2" off the sand so that water can pass freely under them and wash out any nasties settling there. Very good idea, but I personally don't like how it looks.

Wulfhound
03-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Todd - very nice. I like that yellow Gorgonian, did you pick that up at Fish haven in the last few days? Holy crap that's a huge red brain to the right and back of the gorgonian! Dang![quote]

Thanks Chris, and no I didn't get it at Fih Haven it is one of the few corals i got from Ron(rlh) The Brain u see I got from Global Aquatics a few months ago.

[quote=DaChrisDude]
iwantone's comment about raising the rocks up off the sand was because the way the rocks are now, its likely that detritus will collect behind/underneath them since there is little flow below/behind the rocks. Many people raise the rocks ~1/2" off the sand so that water can pass freely under them and wash out any nasties settling there. Very good idea, but I personally don't like how it looks.

I have flow around the rocks and the creatures seem to do a good job on keeping it clean under and behind the LR on the previuos set up where the LR was all being supported by the rear wall. I also prefer to have look that the LR is coming out of the bottom.

Thanks for the comments
Todd

cagirly2006
03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
GEEZ!! that is a huge Red Brain!! How big is it actually?

Wulfhound
03-08-2007, 11:41 AM
GEEZ!! that is a huge Red Brain!! How big is it actually?

cagirly,

It's about the size of a salad plate give or take a couple inches.

It had a little area where it was receding and now it looks like its getting worse. do u or ne one know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Todd

cagirly2006
03-08-2007, 12:06 PM
dont know what is going on. But by receding what do you mean? Like is it just skeleton in some spots and it is slowly turning into more skeleton?? Like dying off in some spots?

Wulfhound
03-08-2007, 12:08 PM
dont know what is going on. But by receding what do you mean? Like is it just skeleton in some spots and it is slowly turning into more skeleton?? Like dying off in some spots?

Yes that would be the problem

cagirly2006
03-08-2007, 12:17 PM
thats what mine did a while back when i had a green open brain, i just figured it was from getting bleached so i gave it away before it died. But i think someone else had a post on this. IIf you find out why let me know because i would like to get another one, i tried a few weeks ago but it wasnt happy either so i traded it b4 it started dying in my tank because it didnt like my tank! :(

thanks

Wulfhound
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Here 's my tank
bump>>>:D