PDA

View Full Version : General Etiquette for Newbies

Yolo
02-27-2007, 08:15 AM
General etiquette is to not comment on pricing. Its not cool to publicly comment on someone's asking price.

General etiquette is to not to post off subject comments in peoples threads. If you have something to comment to a particular person, email, call or PM them.

General etiquette is to not to call dibs and not show up or call. Dibs don't mean much if you have like 5 posts and never give your real name.

General etiquette is to not to change screen names 5 or 6 times along the way. Um, I only know you as X2345_P..Huh?

General etiquette is to not get discouraged and keep asking questions in the appropriate Forums.

General etiquette is to USE the Private Message (PM) function for off subject questions...

General etiquette is to post "First come First Served" when it applies so you don't have 5 people making plans to buy your one item. Good to leverage your sale, but not cool. If you don't care who you sell it to and its about the cash, say so.

General etiquette is to NOT ask for a PIC when you have no intention of buying just because you are merely curious...

General etiquette is to not go on a 2 hour tour of someone's house and tank only to lowball the seller at the last minute saying you only brought $12...

General etiquette is to not expect a Seller to call you...if they have a good deal, you chase THEM down...posting your number means nothing to the guy selling something to get it out of there...

General etiquette is to not openly whine when you have been on the board for less than 90 days and especially, don't diss the board owner or mods (hand that feeds you, appreciation, etc)...

General etiquette is to not ask for a PIC of a common fish when you can google one out in 10 seconds.

General etiquette can also = common sense of "class"

Hint of the Year = Don't dibs something and then ask the seller to wait for a week or send you a PIC. If it is that good of a deal, send them an immediate PM (with your phone number) and negotiate a deal with the seller. Set a time to see the item as soon as possible. Sellers retain the right to sell their item at any time to anyone without recourse. Its their option and you need to respect that. Welcome to the www.

If someone says email me, then email them, PMs might not mean anything if they are busy. There are lots of different sites out there. If they post a phone number, then dial it up immediately if its a good deal Don't post a reply with your number and say "call me" or "pm sent". Don't wait around for a PIC. Goggle it, get out your books and research it.

If you have an opportunity to buy a fish from an Established Tank, by all means pay the couple of extra bucks and buy it. Fish from established tanks that are breaking down are always going to always have a higher chance of survival then the unknowns at the LFS. Fish go from who knows where to east coast, to west coast LA, to SD...

Use the PM feature as much as you can and please keep off topic or personal comments to yourselfs.

:)

JediReef
02-27-2007, 08:25 AM
General etiquette is to not comment on pricing.

General etiquette is to not to post off subject comments in peoples threads.

General etiquette is to not to call dibs and not show up or call.

General etiquette is to not to change screen names 5 or 6 times along the way.

General etiquette is to not get discouraged and keep asking questions in the appropriate Forums.

General etiquette is to give your real name every now and then.

General etiquette is...

General etiquette is not to use foul language..

General etiquette is not to make personal, racial, gender insults towards one another just because they don't agree with your views. We're all adults here..

DaChrisDude
02-27-2007, 08:38 AM

er..."General etiquette is to not get discouraged, but rather to keep asking questions in the appropriate forum."

General etiquette is to implement the 'search' tool before asking questions you think might have already been answered several times before.

lucubrator
02-27-2007, 08:46 AM
General etiquette is to implement the 'search' tool before asking questions you think might have already been answered several times before.

er... General etiquette is to use the search tool before asking a question. Chances are that it's been answered before.

General etiquette is to refrain from posting things like, "lol," and nothing more contributory.

General eqituette is to keep your signature smaller than your post.

MrKrispy
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
...is to not post the same topic in multiple forums.

...is to share kick-ass frags with the rest of us

swissfish
02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
General etiquette is does not only apply to newbies

General etiquette is to post your location if you are selling stuff

BigAir
02-27-2007, 02:36 PM
... is to say Thank You when you have received the info or help you asked for in a thread.

luistwentyone
02-27-2007, 02:45 PM
general etiquette is if you are selling something, it would help to post a picture.

general etiquette is......humor makes the world go round.....oh and so much easier

general etiquette is, do NOT pull a "Luis", by hijacking a thread

CNCreefer
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
general etiquette is putting something up for sale and actually answering PM's when someone wants to buy what you're selling.
general etiquette is setting up a time and place to meet if you are trying to sell or trade something...

lucubrator
02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
... time and place to meet if you are trying to sell or trade something...
... and showing up to sell it.

Fishaholic
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
general etiquette is to keep your personal issues and drama personal and not post it up for everyone to read

Dakota
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM
General eqituette is to keep your signature smaller than your post.

I agree... I hope this doesn't mean I have to keep typing to keep this post larger than mine... :-\

This is a great resource thread, too.

victortrav
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
thought i would chime in on this one
General etiquette is to update your post with what is sold or spoken for when selling multiple items so others dont have to scroll and try to figure out what is available or not.

brncsfns5621
03-09-2007, 08:50 AM
General etiquette is to not post that you saw if at the LFS, unless they ask "does anyone know where to get....". That's not why we post it in the "Wanted section".
We are all addicts and cruise the LFS on a regular basis, not to mention have complete stocking lists for each one at home... :D

wickeddroptop
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
General Etiquette is not to ask the seller to deliver the item you want or "Do you ever make it over to El Centro? If so Ill take it!!!"

General Etiquette is not be be freaking to lazy to drive 20 minutes for a good deal on something you want

lucubrator
03-17-2007, 12:13 AM
This didn't quite get through to everyone, so here's a sample of
What Not to Post

Hey, I'm looking for XXX, let me know what you have.

I have one for $xx, I'll let you know when I'm done with it.
Everything's cool so far, but then this comes in:

Didn't you just buy this from someone else for cheaper? What's the deal?(Also seen as: I can get this on YYY for less money.)
Now that would have been better handled in PM, and then the rest of the posts shouldn't have occurred.

Hey Interloper #1, it's uncouth to comment on pricing. (expletives occasionally omitted, often disguised with punctuation)
While this person attempted to correct the first meddler, he's himself broken the second rule and sixth rules.

Hey, he's just alerting the buyer to potential injustice! The right of the buyer is greater than that of the seller! (Personal irrelevant attack follows)
See previous comment.

Then he should have sent a private message. See previous comment, also bear in mind that PMs can be sent to many interested parties. At this point, the argument has broken down, and no further developments will occur.

Is that the appropriate course of action? You should write a book on the subject, and then we can all be better informed.
Irony is sweet. Such a "book" exists, in the form of this very thread!

That's an excellent suggestion! Then the uninformed like Interloper #1 could read it and the community would be more harmonious.
Again, such a resource exists, and he has also contributed to distractions from the original question.
At this point, another entrant contributes his thoughts, with a touch of sarcasm.

I would like to buy such a book. Is this not a community in which we all share a common interest? (Clichéd comment inserted here).
P.S. - Interloper #2: If you derive pleasure from cheating others, then... (additional irrelevant personal attack.)

At this point, the original kibitzer defends his actions, comments on several others, the post rate explodes, and everyone forgets what the thread was about to begin with. Perhaps the first respondent defends his choice of sale price, but it's moot. The argument has already taken place, and the defense will be as ineffective as it is pointless. The respondent is now branded as an opportunist. Then a mod has to step in, and correct the situation, and everyone ends up unhappy, and may wish the argument to end in fisticuffs.

Cormuff
03-18-2007, 07:12 AM
......wow ya gotta lotta time on your hands

alittlesalty
03-21-2007, 09:41 PM
It seems to me that proper could be subsituted with "what works best for us who want to buy and resell for higher to all you who don't know any better so we can buy nice new stuff and brag about it later"

Cormuff
03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
HOT DAMN!!!! right on the money!

alittlesalty = my new hero!

iVgOnMaD
04-09-2007, 07:40 PM
isn't that the way that this world's economy works?

DaveMorris
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I think the point is that some of us like to think of this board as a community of friends and an invaluable resource. Under-cutting and back-stabbing is not right. If someone offers up something for sale and you want it, then buy it. Otherwise respect the seller's right to ask what he wants for it. Why throw him under the bus in public just because he was asking a higher price for something? The seller will learn soon enough if he is asking too much for something. This economy works that way. If there is no demand for what you are selling for what you are charging, then you won't sell it.

lucubrator
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Furthermore, the price is almost always (say 90% of the time) the same or less than what the person paid for it, and almost never (say 1% of the time) more than you would pay to get it new, especially if you bought it from an LFS.

iwantone
04-09-2007, 10:12 PM
i have some kenyan tree frags for 25 bucks if anyone is interested...

iVgOnMaD
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM

LOL !!!! Funniest thing that could have happened is someone tries to hijack the etiquette thread !!!:eek:

LMAO!!!:p:D:p

lucubrator
04-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Kenya Tree. No "n."

phishphood
04-09-2007, 10:34 PM

Furthermore, the price is almost always (say 90% of the time) the same or less than what the person paid for it

Guess this is one of that remaining 10%.

lucubrator
04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Maybe, but it still falls within the other 99% (see here) (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=652) and he hasn't actually made a sale. If the buyer uses the search button, (s)he'll find that these have sold for much lower.

Diver Dan
05-18-2007, 08:43 PM
BUMP There has been some problems on the boards lately NEWBIES here you go.

Yolo
10-08-2007, 07:34 AM
If someone says email me, then email them, PMs might not mean anything if they are busy. There are lots of different sites out there. If they post a phone number, then dial it up immediately if its a good deal Don't post a reply with your number and say "call me" or "pm sent". Don't wait around for a PIC. Goggle it, get out your books and research it.

If you have an opportunity to buy a fish from an Established Tank, by all means pay the couple of extra bucks and buy it. Fish from established tanks that are breaking down are always going to always have a higher chance of survival then the unknowns at the LFS. Fish go from who knows where to east coast, to west coast LA, to SD...

Use the PM feature as much as you can and please keep off topic or personal comments to yourselfs.

ok...I'm done now...

Yolo
11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
While people are waiting for PICS, others are PICking those items up...;)

sacredfire
02-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Needs another bump, Lot of name calling going on these days.

Mr.Chewbacca
02-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Needs another bump, Lot of name calling going on these days.

tell me bout it :mad:

afitzwater
02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
tell me bout it :mad:

i saw that in your post... not cool at all

jason142
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, some people need to take a read or review, getting a little crazy in some areas.

Yolo
08-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Time to bump this thing. Been "lurking" and reading far too much nonsence.

Maybe some of this content should be part of the Use Agreement everyone reads when they register.

We use our real names on my fishing club site for that very reason, no nonsense.

XO PRESENTS
04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
General etiquette is to check your spelling when posting or replying to a thread.

AFUreef
02-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Taking this to the top for the newbs and FNG's

cHRoNzZe
04-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Bump this up for the cornFLAKE eaterzZz.................

CMD2213
04-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Lol I'm more of a Cheerios guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

XO PRESENTS
07-04-2014, 06:44 PM
General etiquette is when you make arrangements with buyers or sellers, you keep them. If something comes up and you can no longer keep your arrangements, sending a simple text message to notify the buyer/seller would be the polite and the right thing to do :).

General etiquette is not to cause drama in the forum. We are adults who enjoy the reefing hobby, lets engage with our community and respecting one another :).

cHRoNzZe
08-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Bump this up.........

Everyone who signs up should be obligated to read this before posting or commenting............... :demon:

Funkateer_1
08-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Bump this up.........

Everyone who signs up should be obligated to read this before posting or commenting............... :demon:

Was it a flake or lowball this time Ish? :lol:

cHRoNzZe
08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Was it a flake or lowball this time Ish? :lol:

Lmao.......... At times I feel like I post on Craigslist with all the lowballers,main reason why I stay away from that site is the amount of FLAKEzZz................ :lol:

naso tang
08-07-2014, 08:23 PM
I've had some really funny experiences with flakers lately, I'm sure we all have. Maybe we should start a rant thread? Where we could share funny stories about bad etiquette? I don't feel like posting negative feedback on users directly, but speaking about the experiences without naming names could be beneficial (and funny too)? This last one I had was so odd I don't know what to do with my emotions about it. It's really funny to me at this point even though it wasted some of my time pming and messaging...

Livinlocal
08-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Explain ! Lol

jasonp87
08-07-2014, 08:27 PM
I've had some really funny experiences with flakers lately, I'm sure we all have. Maybe we should start a rant thread? Where we could share funny stories about bad etiquette? I don't feel like posting negative feedback on users directly, but speaking about the experiences without naming names could be beneficial (and funny too)? This last one I had was so odd I don't know what to do with my emotions about it. It's really funny to me at this point even though it wasted some of my time pming and messaging...

Lol, just remember no naming names. talks between a buyer and seller should remain private :)

CMD2213
08-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Ohh let the good times roll!

naso tang
08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
I guess I'll keep it private mostly...Someone posted they wanted a coral, I offered to sell it to them, and then 2 separate times we tried to meet up at scheduled dates they were out of cash and wanted to delay...I'm driving to deliver, never an offer to meet up halfway. Nuts! I got no time for that nonsense...3 weeks of pms and texts. I'd rather keep it than manage the insanity...

inurmind
03-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Bump this for new and old!

...I know it's sticky but still

jkennedy1007
03-05-2015, 11:12 AM
1+
if someone posted its G.E to put your location in your profile

So everyone stops asking for your "location" ,every time ya post something for sale :crazy:

It's G.E for greenhorn nubs to,
STOP WITH ALL THE CAPS IN CHAT BOX :lol: shenanigans

inurmind
03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Haha for real!!! I know with taptalk it doesn't show in the listing but why make me go an extra step when all you have to do is look at the profile =/

cHRoNzZe
09-11-2015, 05:23 AM
Bump....... To many new people posting unnecessary comments on sale threads.....hope this help

Tapio
09-11-2015, 08:05 AM
The points here should be covered under Common Sense and Good Manners, but I know it is not that easy.

Maybe this is an unnecessary comment:)

XO PRESENTS
09-18-2015, 07:59 PM
A friendly bump for our new members :)

FreshSaltH2o
10-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Bump this up

Jfra121
02-29-2016, 01:34 AM
Just introducing myself....I'm very new to the reef side of things. I've had fresh water tanks for years.....I'm two months into my new 60 gal cube mixed reef costume build.

Vince
04-14-2017, 04:17 PM
10-4.

XO PRESENTS
05-02-2017, 10:11 PM
It's that time... for a bump....

CMD2213
05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
It's that time... for a bump....
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

XO PRESENTS
02-07-2018, 09:36 PM
I have noticed that we have quite a few new members, just wanted to bump this up.

FreshSaltH2o
06-16-2018, 08:46 PM
I have noticed that we have quite a few new members, just wanted to bump this up.

Lots of new people Just a reminder

Kris
06-16-2018, 09:16 PM
General etiquette is to not comment on pricing. Its not cool to publicly comment on someone's asking price.

General etiquette is to not to post off subject comments in peoples threads. If you have something to comment to a particular person, email, call or PM them.

General etiquette is to not to call dibs and not show up or call. Dibs don't mean much if you have like 5 posts and never give your real name.

General etiquette is to not to change screen names 5 or 6 times along the way. Um, I only know you as X2345_P..Huh?

General etiquette is to USE the Private Message (PM) function for off subject questions...

General etiquette is to post "First come First Served" when it applies so you don't have 5 people making plans to buy your one item. Good to leverage your sale, but not cool. If you don't care who you sell it to and its about the cash, say so.

General etiquette is to NOT ask for a PIC when you have no intention of buying just because you are merely curious...

General etiquette is to not go on a 2 hour tour of someone's house and tank only to lowball the seller at the last minute saying you only brought $12...

General etiquette is to not expect a Seller to call you...if they have a good deal, you chase THEM down...posting your number means nothing to the guy selling something to get it out of there...

General etiquette is to not openly whine when you have been on the board for less than 90 days and especially, don't diss the board owner or mods (hand that feeds you, appreciation, etc)...

General etiquette is to not ask for a PIC of a common fish when you can google one out in 10 seconds.

General etiquette can also = common sense of "class"

Hint of the Year = Don't dibs something and then ask the seller to wait for a week or send you a PIC. If it is that good of a deal, send them an immediate PM (with your phone number) and negotiate a deal with the seller. Set a time to see the item as soon as possible. Sellers retain the right to sell their item at any time to anyone without recourse. Its their option and you need to respect that. Welcome to the www.

:) Nice bump Mike! Too bad we can't bump back to the first page?

Drama D
06-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Just a lil rant.
Over the past 2/3 weeks I have had multiple people message me interested in an item I have fs. I try to respond as soon as possible and provide all info requested as well as pics and my location and or willingness to meet.
It seems like most are jumping the gun and messaging wanting an item, but really have no intentions of buying. I've heard all kinds of excuses, even been drawn into conflict when I call them out on there flakeyness and wasting my time. Some insist they are serious buyers, some ask me to hold items, some low ball, some request a trade when post ask; no trades, some set a meeting spot and never show. Urggghhhh!
It has become annoying and a huge waste of my time.
I'm not hear to cheat anyone, I'm open to the buyer checking everything out before purchase, I'm willing to work with buyer to an extent.
I'm just curious how many others go through this same thing from week to week.
End rant:/

Redryder87
06-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Just a lil rant.
Over the past 2/3 weeks I have had multiple people message me interested in an item I have fs. I try to respond as soon as possible and provide all info requested as well as pics and my location and or willingness to meet.
It seems like most are jumping the gun and messaging wanting an item, but really have no intentions of buying. I've heard all kinds of excuses, even been drawn into conflict when I call them out on there flakeyness and wasting my time. Some insist they are serious buyers, some ask me to hold items, some low ball, some request a trade when post ask; no trades, some set a meeting spot and never show. Urggghhhh!
It has become annoying and a huge waste of my time.
I'm not hear to cheat anyone, I'm open to the buyer checking everything out before purchase, I'm willing to work with buyer to an extent.
I'm just curious how many others go through this same thing from week to week.
End rant:/

It’s annoying. Nice coral isn’t cheap. Whenever I buy, I give the asking price, no questions asked. People want everything for next to nothing lol. I also hate when people ask questions that the answers are in the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trickman2
06-30-2018, 06:40 PM
Been a long time since I have been on the forum. Yes it has changed and I am okay with people privately contacting me about prices. Also if you are firm on your price I recommend you state that.

Some things to help with pricing-
OBO- or best offer - means make a offer that is reasonable
FIRM- means that is my price

Do not low-ball people - if you are going to ask for a lower price wait tell people have been bumping it for a while and be reasonable. Do it privately and don’t ask if they will give it away for 50 percent less. Lastly if you are the selling something don’t take it personal but make it clear in your post that you are firm on the price.

Been on the forum a long long time and how things have changed. Have fun and enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizzyjay
07-01-2018, 06:39 AM
Well put. I’d like to add, if you sell here regularly, consider supporting sdreefs by becoming a premium member. It’s nice that it’s not required but if your using this community to make a buck then why not contribute to making it better? The suggested yearly donation is a drop in the bucket for people in our hobby.

XO PRESENTS
07-11-2018, 07:34 PM
I like that dizzyjay.

NEW REEFERS... IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TO BROWSE THE SITE.. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS THREAD...thank you kindly.

Well put. I’d like to add, if you sell here regularly, consider supporting sdreefs by becoming a premium member. It’s nice that it’s not required but if your using this community to make a buck then why not contribute to making it better? The suggested yearly donation is a drop in the bucket for people in our hobby.

XO PRESENTS
11-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Friendly reminder that we are all part of a small niche reefing community here on SDR :)

FreshSaltH2o
12-20-2022, 07:11 PM
Bump this for the new members