PDA

View Full Version : Help with Aquascape please

traff
01-29-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm just building my first 75gal FO tank and need some aquascape advice. The tank was originally a freshy and came with black lava rock. Two lfs's told me that this was fine for my saltwater tank. AW and OG told me exactly the opposite and warned me to get it out. I like the look of live rock and the biofiltration but don't know if it's overkill if the tangs and other fish I plan to put in the tank are just going to eat all of the verts off of it anyway. Does the LR still maintain most of its biofiltration? I don't care for the way the white base rock looks. Please let me know if many people use LR for their FO aquariums or am I going in the wrong direction? Love the site... great info. Thanks so much. See you at the frag swap.

alien4fish
01-29-2004, 05:30 PM
well it depends on the look you want, you very well could use the LAVA rock on the very bottom of the tank,youcould "cove" it or make it a in a pile in the mid. of the tank, use the lava rock for for your "base" at the bottom with your L/S THEN put your LIVE ROCK ON TOP OF THE LAVA ROCK that way you MIN. die off of your good bacteria and have a better surface area for coraline growth:D

traff
01-29-2004, 05:39 PM
but I guess my question is about the suitability of the lave rock. Some places tell me that lava rock will leach out too much iron in saltwater and cause future problems. Thanks for the advice. I've got so much to learn about all of this. :confused:

alien4fish
01-29-2004, 06:11 PM
thats the first ive heard about lava rock "leaching out iron, .................................I KNOW!!!:D contact wetwerx101 on this board( nano reef) he is THE MASTER the dude has been doing this(reefing) forever, and i would proly go with what ever he says as the truth and nothing but, he doesnt want to sell you anything or nothing like that just good honest advice :D :D

alien4fish
01-29-2004, 06:14 PM
awwww **** i just realized that im logged in SDCC the web site addy is ............nano reef.com, another good one is reef central.com do a google search

alien4fish
01-29-2004, 06:15 PM
nanoreef.com

Mike N
01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Years ago, before the time of live rock lava was about all we used. I don't see any problem using lava, I used it for FO for 25+years, but I might be less than happy using someone else’s used rock.

Lava being porous may have absorbed any medications that the previous owner may have used, small chance but still a chance.

traff
01-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I'll try wetwerx on the other site. I appreciate all the help and advice having to do with the lava rock. I see that Jeff up in Garena has Tonkin branch for $2.79 per lb. I might head up there this weekend.
:D