PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning/Buffing/Scratch Removal with Acrylic

SanDiegoReefs
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Do any of you guys have experience removing scratches and buffing out acrylic? I picked up a used tank that needs some TLC to bring it back to life.. and since this is my first acrylic tank, I'm less than confident when it comes to cleaning it.

I've read tons of forums about Novus, and VERY fine sand paper... but figured if any of you local guys knew how to do it, maybe you wouldn't mind showing me the ropes.

-moore

elgordoinavw
01-29-2004, 08:59 PM
I need help too!

alien4fish
01-30-2004, 04:57 PM
yeah there is a kit that you can buy at the LFS you may even be able to find it at HD, however, if the scratches arent to deep when you fill the tank up with water you really cant see them:D so may not even need to do any thing to it

Eugene
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Are the scratches on the inside or the outside of the tank?

I had some grooves put in my tank on the outside that I buffed out using the acrylic scratch repair kits. They work really well - they don't remove the deep scratches completely, but they make them much less visible.

If they're scratches on the inside, try filling the tank with water and see if the scratches are still visible. The small ones can seem huge without water in the tank but are practically invisible once underwater. For the bigger ones, you'll have to drain the water before you try to buff out the scratches.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!